‹ Prequel: Cats and Dogs

The Golden Quartet: Year 1

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“I’ll need everyone who will not be going home for the Holidays to write down their name,” Harry practically jumped out of his seat to scribble down his name on the parchment McGonagall had.

It was mid-December, Hogwarts was covered in several feet of snow, and everyone could not wait to go home for Christmas.

“You’re not going home for the holidays?” Hermione asked Astrid and Ron as they signed up to stay before the other Weasleys and Athena.

“No, my mum and dad are going to Romania to visit my brother Charlie.” Ron said.

Hermione turned to Astrid, “My mum insisted on my sister and I on staying. I think she thought Harry would be alone.” Astrid shrugged.

“Will your mum be okay… without you and Athena on Christmas?” Harry asked with concern.

“I wondered that too. But she won’t be completely alone – my uncle will be going over.” Astrid said. “They haven’t really spent any time together in a while.”

“Come on, we just need you to charm them-“

“I’m not going to help you throw snowballs at Professor Quirrell.” Astrid heard Athena and the Weasley twins arguing as she, Harry, Ron, and Hermione left the common room to get to the Great Hall.

“You’d only have to enchant them, leave the rest to us.” George said.

“Enchanting them is all there is, there’d be nothing left for you to do!” Astrid smiled lightly at Athena’s annoyed face but she knew she’d end up doing it anyways.

They were making their way down to the Great Hall for breakfast when they had to come to a halt because the corridor they were walking down was blocked off by a large tree. Two large boots could be seen sticking out from under the tree and they knew it was Hagrid.

“Hey, Hagrid, need any help?” Ron asked peering through the branches.

“Nah, I’m alright, thanks anyways, Ron.” Hagrid said gruffly as he pulled the tree a bit further along the corridor.

“Are you trying to earn some money, Weasley?” Came Draco’s cold voice. “Hoping to be gamekeeper when you leave Hogwarts? I suppose Hagrid’s hut must seem like a palace compared to what your family is used to.”

Ron dived at Draco just as Snape came into view.

“WEASLEY!” Snape yelled and Ron let go of Malfoy’s robes.

“He was provoked, Professor Snape. Malfoy was insultin’ his family.” Hagrid said sticking his head through the tree.

“Be that as it may, fighting is against school rules. Five point from Gryffindor and be grateful it isn’t more. Now move along, all of you.” Snape said before walking off.

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed through the pine tree with smirks on their faces as they left as well.

“I’ll get him, one of these days…” Ron said while grinding his teeth.

Astrid quickly stuck her head through the large tree and pulled out her wand. She pointed it at Malfoy’s bum as he walked away, “Engorgio.”

Malfoy continued to walk for a moment, not feeling the effects immediately, but soon his bum began to enlarge and his walk turned into a waddle. Malfoy suddenly stopped and his hands went around and grabbed his bum and he let out a yell.

Ron, Harry, and Hermione had poked their heads through the tree to watch and were now laughing and not even Hagrid could suppress his chuckles. Malfoy quickly turned around, his eyes landing on them.

“You!” He pointed at Astrid who smirked and waved her wand. Malfoy reached into his robe to pull out his wand but Hagrid stepped in front of them.

“I think it’d be best if yeh went on yer way, Malfoy.” Hagrid stated firmly.

“My father will hear about this!” Malfoy yelled before waddling off.

“That was brilliant, Astrid!” Ron said as they pushed through the tree.

“But very foolish.” Hermione scolded but then a smile crept onto her face.

“Come on, let’s go an’ see the Great Hall, it looks a treat!” Hagrid said happily.

Hagrid dragged the large tree and the four kids followed him into the Great Hall, where they saw Professor McGonagall and Flitwick putting up Christmas decorations. Holly and mistletoes hung on the walls and about twelve enormous Christmas trees stood around the room, which were all twinkling brilliantly with small candles, icicles, and ornaments.

“You three will continue to look while I’m away, won’t you?” Hermione asked.

Astrid groaned, “We’ve searched the library a thousand times!”

“Searched the library? What fer?” Hagrid asked curiously.

“We’ve been trying to find books about Nicolas Flamel-“

“Yer been doing what?!” Hagrid said cutting off Harry. “I told you four ter leave that alone; it’s none of yer business. Just drop it. It’s nothin’ to you what that dog’s gaurdin’.”

“We just want to know who he is, that’s all.” Hermione said.

“Unless you’d like to save us some trouble by just telling us?” Astrid asked, flashing Hagrid a charming smile.

“I’m not sayin’ anythin’.” Hagrid stated firmly.

“Then we’ll just have to find out ourselves.” Ron said and then they left a unsettled Hagrid and to the library.

~~~

They had spread out, each covering a different section in the library to try and find anything on Nicolas Flamel. Ever since Hagrid had let it slip, they had been in the library practically every day searching for any hints or clues about the mysterious man.

“Did you find anything?” Hermione asked as Astrid and Harry exited the library to meet Ron and her for lunch.

They both shook their head.

“No. I swear, other than being involved with whatever that dog is guarding – the guy doesn’t exist!” Astrid said in frustration as they walked to the Great Hall.

“Well, while I’m gone-“

“We can’t look in the library anymore, I’m not exaggerating when I say we’ve went through every single book in there!” Astrid stated.

Hermione leaned towards them, “Not in the restricted section.”

Harry, Astrid, and Ron exchanged surprised and impressed glances, “Whoa Hermione, I didn’t think it would be so quick for us to corrupt you completely.” Astrid said.

Harry shook his head, “How will we even get into the restricted section? It’s locked off to students. We’d need permission from a professor and I’d hardly think any of them would be willing to join us looking for Flamel.”

“Well, that’s what you three will need to find out.” Hermione said.

~~~

“Maybe,” Astrid stuffed a roasted marshmallow into her mouth, “we can transfigure him into a bug – a cockroach or somethin’ and then squash him.”

Winter break had started and Harry, Ron, and Astrid were sitting by the fire in the empty Gryffindor common room, trying to figure out ways of getting Malfoy expelled.

“That would be murder, not expulsion.” Ron said.

“So… it’s a better idea.” Astrid and the boys grinned.

They had practically forgotten all about Nicolas Flam-who? And were enjoying their Holidays which consisted of them hanging around the Gryffindor common room, eating snacks and plotting ways of taking down Malfoy. Astrid also enjoyed watching Harry get his arse kicked by Ron at Wizards Chess.
Tomorrow was Christmas and Astrid was excited. Not for herself – but for Harry. She couldn’t wait for him to open the present her, Athena, and Amilia had put together for him.

Also when Astrid sent out Hermione’s gift and the letter to her mother, suggesting the idea for Harry’s gift, she saw, while petting Xander, Fred and Athena walking together on the snowy school grounds while Lee Jordan and George made snow angels. Astrid smiled when she saw Fred take off his scarf and wrap it around Athena’s bare neck.

Astrid was the only girl in her year that stayed for the Holidays so she had the room to herself; so she did what anyone would do when alone – she read. She enjoyed reading Muggle books – a habit Athena had gotten her into – and was currently reading Romeo and Juliet. She found Romeo thoroughly annoying. One second he was sulking over his ‘love’ Rosaline and then next he was getting married to Juliet after knowing her for a few hours? Rubbish! Whoever this Shakespeare guy was, he didn’t know a lot about love. Astrid yawned, closed the book and placed it on the nightstand and blew out her candle and then fell asleep.

~~~

Astrid’s eyes shot open and she grinned as she jumped off her bed and looked at the small pile of gifts by her trunk. The first one she grabbed was wrapped in thick brown paper and written on it was, ‘To Astrid, From Hagrid’. She unwrapped it and laughed when she saw Hagrid’s rock biscuits, “Yay…” Astrid put those aside for later and grabbed a parcel which contain candies from Hermione, she then unwrapped a book, Easy To Produce Defensive Spells, from her uncle, Alastor, several rolls of Stealth Flying Note parchment from Athena and lastly, she opened her final gift from her mother.

“Oh my Merlin…” She breathed. In her hands she held an original copy of one of her most beloved stories, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. Astrid immediately inhaled the woody and earthy scent of the ancient book and smiled at the fond memories of first thinking the book was based off of her mother and father, seeing as Mr. Darcy and Sirius were first very proud but then realized their love for Elizabeth and Amilia, while Elizabeth and Amilia were misunderstood about their male counterparts and were even more prideful and didn’t indulge in their love until the very end.

Dear Astrid,

You don’t want to know what I did to get this book. I love you very much, have a wonderful Christmas.

Love,
Amilia


Astrid quickly threw away the parcel wrapping and put away her gifts, but not her book, and then went down stairs to wait for the boys and her sister.

“What do you have there?” Athena asked walking down the stairs over to sit by Astrid on the sofa by the warm, crackling fire.

“An original copy of Pride and Prejudice.” Astrid said as she flaunted her book.

Athena rolled her eyes and smiled lightly, “Nice. Mom sent me an original copy of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian.”

“Aw, I want to read them!”

“No way! Last time I let you borrow a book, pages were falling out and it had mug ring marks all over it!”

“It gives a book character!”

“Did you like the gift I got you?”

“Yeah, but how are they any different than normal flying notes?”

“These ones are sneaky. They just don’t fly out into mid air, they scope out the place first, make sure the coast is clear, they make sure they aren’t seen.”

Wicked.

Fast footsteps pulled Athena and Astrid’s attention away from each other and onto Harry and Ron who came running down the stairs. When Harry’s eyes landed on them, Athena and Astrid knew just by the look in his eyes that he had opened their gift to him.

He held the small photo album in his hands which held seven moving pictures of his parents, some at Hogwarts, and some after. He had a faint smile on his face, “Thank you… I’ve never seen what they look like before.” Harry said. This news was unsettling to both Athena and Astrid.

“What? You’ve never seen what your parents look like?” Astrid said and Harry shook his head.

“Your aunt and uncle don’t have any pictures of them?” Athena asked and Harry shook his head.

“Those… those… damn those Muggles!” Astrid declared.

“Who are we damning at such an early hour?” Fred said coming down the stairs with George, both wearing a knitted blue sweater, one with an yellow F and the other a G.

“Hey, look, Harry’s got a Weasley sweater too!” George said.

Astrid and Athena did notice Harry and Ron were also wearing similar knitted sweaters, only they were different colors.

Fred walked over to Harry, “His is better than ours though. Mum obviously makes more of an effort if you’re not family.”

“Neither of you have got a letter on yours.” George said observing Harry and Ron’s sweaters. “I suppose she thinks you don’t forget your names. But we’re not stupid – we know our names are Gred and Forge.”

Astrid grinned and Athena shook her head lightly while smiling.

Fred turned to Athena, “Well, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you fresh out of bed. You look particularly beautiful in the morning,” Astrid could see heat rising on Athena’s face, “even the crust in your eye seems to sparkle.”

The blush quickly vanished and was replaced by a cold glare, “Prat.”

“Such vicious words on such a wondrous and magical holiday.” Fred threw an arm around her shoulder, and though Athena still had a scowl on her face she did nothing to brush off Fred’s arm.

“What’s all this noise?” Percy said as he stepped into the room, carrying a Weasley sweater which George seized and held up.

“P for prefect! Put it on, Percy, we’re all wearing ours – even Harry’s got one!”

Fred and George began to force the sweater over Percy’s head as he said thickly, “I – don’t – want –“

“And you’re not sitting with the prefects today, either. Christmas is a time for family.” George stated.

~~~

The Christmas feast was wonderful. Juicy turkeys, warm bread, mashed potatoes, buttery peas, crackers, boiled potatoes, cranberry sauce and thick gravy were some of the items everyone indulged themselves in. And up at the staff table Dumbledore was chuckling at jokes professor Flitwick told him and Hagrid’s face was beet red as he called for more wine and then kissed McGonagall on the cheek who blushed and giggled.

“Ha, they’re drunk!” Astrid said to Harry with a grin. “I wish I had a camera – we could use this against them to get out of any homework assignments.” She joked.

Earlier that day they all had been outside snowball fighting and now that their stomachs were full their eyes all seemed very heavy as they headed up to the Gryffindor common room.

In the common room Harry and Ron played wizards chess and both Athena and Astrid were annoying them by shouting out random Quidditch plays and moves to get them unfocused and confused – which was only working on Harry who ordered his king to go after the snitch, and lost gravely.

Then everyone sat and relaxed and watched in amusement as Percy chased Fred and George around because they had taken his prefect badge.

Astrid was about to follow Athena’s lead and head off to bed but Harry grabbed her robe and shook his head, making her sit back down, and once her, Harry, and Ron were the only ones up in the common room Harry said, “I’ve got something to show you. Wait here.” Harry raced up to the boys’ dorm and soon came back down carrying a silver fluid looking cloak and Astrid eyes widened as some memories flooded into her mind.

“That’s your dad’s Invisibility Cloak!” She shouted, thoroughly excited.

“Ssshhh!” Ron hissed.

“What?” Harry asked with wide eyes. “My dads?

Astrid nodded, “Yeah! It belonged to him. My mother mentioned it a few times when I was younger – I completely forgot about it!”

“So, your mother sent it to me?” Harry asked.

Astrid shook her head, “No, my mother never knew what became of the cloak after… you know…” Harry nodded and Astrid asked, confused, “Wait, you don’t know who sent it to you?”

“No, it came with a card, but all it said was ‘use it well’.” Harry said.

“Does sneaking out to steal answers on tests count as using it well?” Astrid grinned.

~~~

The next morning at breakfast, Harry had explained to Ron and Astrid, in a hushed whisper, that last night he had used the Invisibility cloak to sneak into the restricted section of the library and that in an attempted to run away from Filch he had come across a room with a mirror that showed him his family.

“You should have woken us,” Ron said as he chewed on some crunchy bacon.

“Nah, I think for the first time, it was right of Harry to use the cloak on his own.” Astrid said with a mouth full of egg and toast.

“Well, you guys can come tonight. I’m going back.” Harry said.

“I’d like to see all your family.” Ron said.

“I’d like to see yours too, all the Weasleys.” Harry said.

“You can see them anytime. Just come round my house this summer.” Ron said.

“Wait,” Astrid said in an uneasy tone, “so this mirror just shows family?”

“It’s the only thing I saw.” Harry said.

“Oh…” Astrid was about to make some excuse that she wouldn’t be able to go; she didn’t want Harry or Ron to see her father, but then she reasoned that there was no possible way of Harry knowing who he was, but Ron might, but Astrid reasoned that the Weasleys were too good of people to be showing Ron who Sirius Black was and decided to go. Besides… a strong twinge in her heart of just the thought of seeing her father standing beside her was enough reason in itself to go – even if Ron did know who he was.

“Well, it’s too bad that you didn’t find anything on Flamel, even in the restricted section. Bloody hell – who is this guy?” Astrid said.

~~~

That night, Harry, Ron, and Astrid were all under the Invisibility cloak, stumbling over each other’s feet, trying to find the room with the mirror.

“I’m freezing. Let’s just forget about it and go back.” Ron said.

No!” both Astrid and Harry hissed.

“It’s here – yes!” Harry exclaimed as they pushed open a door and stepped into the empty room. Harry dropped the cloak and ran to the mirror.

“See?” Harry said looking into the mirror.

“See what?” Astrid said looking at the reflection of Harry.

“My family! They’re here, there’re loads of them!”

“I can only see you.” Ron said.

Harry grabbed Ron as Astrid picked up and folded the cloak, “Stand where I am.” Harry stepped aside as Ron stood alone in front of the mirror.

“Whoa!” Ron’s eyes widened.

“What? What is it?” Astrid asked.

“Do you see your family?” Harry asked.

“No, it’s me, but I’m different, I’m older! And… I’m head boy!”

What?” Harry was confused.

“And I’m holding the Quidditch cup – I’m Quidditch captain too!” Ron suddenly looked smug, “I look good.” Astrid scoffed and Ron looked at Harry, “Do you think this mirror shows the future?”

“You wish!” Astrid said while rolling her eyes, earning a glare from Ron.

Harry shook his head, “No… how could it? All my family’s dead… Let me have another look-“

“No, you had it all to yourself last night-!”

“You’re only holding the Quidditch cup, what’s so interesting about that?!”

“Don’t push me-“

Astrid strode over to Ron and Harry who were trying to push each other out of the way, “Protego.” Astrid said and the force of the shield separated Ron and Harry, sending them each flying to opposite sides of the room. “Fighting to get a glimpse in a stupid mirror? Really?” Astrid shook her head then her eyes landed on her reflection as she stood alone in front of the mirror now. But her eyes didn’t land on her, they landed on the man standing beside her. He was tall, had shaggy dark hair, warm gray eyes, like her own, and a charming smile which Astrid had been told so many times by her mother that she had.

He was grinning now at her blank expression and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, then with his other hand he waved it over her head as if making fun of her short height – this made her laugh lightly.

Astrid!” Ron yelled pulling Astrid’s attention away from her father.

“What is it?” Astrid was confused as to why her vision was blurry and when she blinked she felt wet beads sliding down her face. “Oh.” She quickly wiped her tears away with her sleeve.

“Are you alright?” Harry asked worriedly.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Astrid said with nonchalance.

“What… what did you see?” Ron asked with caution.

“Um… my old dog, Padfoot.” Astrid half-lied.

“A dog?” Ron asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Not just any dog. He was a great dog. He loved us so much… and was so loyal… but uh, some old neighbors hated him and one day accused him of biting some kids, so he got taken to the pound…”

“Oh… erm, alright.” Harry said.

A sudden noise in the corridor sent alarm through them all, “Quick!” Astrid threw the cloak around them all and then in walked Mrs. Norris and they all stood silently. After a moment she left the room .
“This isn’t safe – she might’ve gone to go get Filch. Let’s go.” Ron said and they all hurried back to the Gryffindor Tower.

~~~

“Socks? Thick wooly socks?” Astrid asked two days later when Harry had just finished explaining to Ron and her about his encounter with Dumbledore when he went to see the mirror one last time.

Harry nodded, “But, I think he’s lying, it was a really personal question.” Harry looked at Astrid, “But is socks any more stranger than wanting a dog back as your deepest desire?”

Astrid was glad Dumbledore had not told Harry what she really saw in the mirror, she knew Dumbledore was smart enough to know what she really saw. “Hhmm, a living, loving, loyal dog, or socks? Yes, wanting socks is stranger than wanting a dog.” Astrid stated. “What was the mirror called again?”

“Mirror of Erised.” Harry said.

“Erised…” Astrid rolled her eyes and laughed, “Erised is desire backwards!” she pointed out. “Hey, maybe if we think really hard about our desire on getting some knowledge of Nicolas Flamel, maybe it’ll show us who the bloody hell he is.”

“Can’t, Dumbledore said the mirror is being moved.” Harry said.

“Damn.”