But I'm Cold as the Wind Blows

one of one.

It was a snowy New Year's Eve night in Times Square and Lauren was standing in the massive crowd, waiting for the countdown that would start ten seconds before midnight to signal the ball was about to drop. She’d been wanting to come to New York since she was a teenager and had finally saved enough money to travel from her home country, England, to experience it.

It was nearing five minutes until midnight and Lauren was starting to get really cold, despite her warm clothing. None of her friends were able to come with her because they didn't have the money; so she was surrounded by thousands of strangers with no one to keep her company. Looking around her she saw so many people with their significant others and she smiled sadly.

The ball was starting to change colors and she couldn't help but think about how the television didn't do it justice. It was so much prettier in person. She still couldn't believe that she was actually here to see it in person. The crowd started getting louder than they were before, signaling that the countdown was about to start.

“Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two! On-” Lauren was cut off by a stranger pressing his lips to her’s. She almost pulled away but figured what could it hurt to kiss this stranger back. It was New Year’s Eve, after all. When she pulled back from the kiss, she was shocked to see who it was. Alex DeLeon, of all people. “Oh, bloody hell!”

Alex looked startled by her outburst and bit his lip. “I’m sorry. I just saw you standing there alone, looking miserable. So I thought I’d come try to make your night better. Oh God, I’m an idiot.”

“No, it’s okay. That was an outburst out of shock, not because of the random kiss. When I pulled away, I didn't know what to expect. But I sure wasn't expecting you.” She laughed, as an apologetic smile formed on her lips.

“You know who I am?” He asked, looking uncertain of whether he still wanted to be there or not.

“I... um, yeah.” She blushed, looking down at her feet. The crowd was slowly starting to evacuate Times Square now that it was over. “I've been a fan of your band since the very beginning. I have massive respect for you, for sticking through with all the changes and leaving the label. Only a true musician wouldn't get discouraged with all of that happening.”

It was his turn to blush, as he chuckled. “Thank you. That means a lot coming from a fan.” They stood there awkwardly for a few minutes, just sneaking glances at each other. Confetti was still falling down around them. “Would you like to go see if Starbucks is open and get out of this freezing weather?”

She nodded, smiling up at him. He held out his hand and she took it, so that they wouldn't lose each other. They struggled getting through the crowds, elbowing people here and there to get where they needed to be. Once Lauren and Alex caught sight of the Starbucks sign, they made a dash for the door. Opening the door, they rushed inside to the warm haven that awaited them. A whiff of coffee and hot chocolate hit their noses, instantly making a smile form on their faces.

“What would you like to drink?”

“I can pay for it myself.” She insisted.

“What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn't buy the drink of the girl that I just sprung a kiss on a little bit ago?” He winked, as he chuckled.

A light tinge of pink spread up Lauren’s neck and across her cheeks. “I’ll have a Tall Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Thank you, Alex.”

While Alex got the drinks, Lauren found one of the very few open tables that were left for them to sit at and sat down, before anybody else had the chance to take it.

“Sorry it took so long. They’re really busy tonight.” Alex returned, sliding onto his seat and handing her the drink. She took a sip of her hot chocolate and tapped her foot to the Christmas music that was softly coming from the speakers overhead. “So, what brings you all the way here to America?”

“I've always wanted to come to New York during this time of year, just for the experience. From all the pictures and videos I've seen, it just looks so... magical and beautiful.” Lauren gushed.

Alex smiled at her sweetly, leaning with his elbows onto the table. “You never told me your name, honey. You already know mine, so it’s only fair.”

“Oh, I’m sorry! Where are my manners? My name is Lauren. You can just call me Laur or Lo, if you want to though.”

“That’s a really pretty name. So how did you find out about my band?”

“I found your band through William Beckett. I had been a fan of The Academy Is... for awhile and he suggested on twitter that everybody should check out this band called The Cab that they were going to be touring with. Trusting his music suggestions, I searched for your music and fell in love with the song “Vegas Skies” instantly.” For the millionth time that night, a blush crept onto her face, as she chuckled nervously. “I feel really weird talking to you about this... You’re the one that wrote the song.”

Alex let out a very loud laugh, grabbing onto her hand. “You shouldn't feel weird at all. It’s an honor to get to talk to somebody that loves my music that much.” He laughed, noticing that he had made her blush yet again. “So, I was supposed to show up at this New Year’s party about an hour ago.” He looked at his watch. “I really need to get going, or my friends will be wondering where I am. Do you, by any chance, want to go with me? I don’t want to end this conversation here.”

“I’d love to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Lauren

Honestly, I didn't think I was ever going to finish this. But I did!
Thank you to serendipity;, Juno, and harry styles.; for you reading parts of this while I was writing it and telling me what you thought and if I needed to fix anything. It really helped me finish it! (:

Lore, I hope you love this :D and I totally can't wait to read the one-shot you're writing me!

Merry Christmas to all of you that read this (even though it's only Christmas Eve)!
Comments are well appreciated and put a smile on my face!

Also just a random note.. Alex DeLeon's elf name is Perky McJingles. Found this out earlier through this generator thing my friend sent me and it made me laugh.

-Em xx