Above the Skyline

Harry

The exasperating ring of my alarm clock woke my deep slumber. The sun was breaking through the curtains, dust particles glittering in the rays. A groan seeped through my lips, and I lifted my head, slamming my hand down on the snooze button, forgetting about my inhuman strength. The clock was now smashed into a hundred plastic and wirey bits. That was the fifth alarm clock this month; I really needed to be gentle with things. For just a brief moment when waking up, I’d forget about my unusual life. Then, like being struck by lightning, I’d be reminded that I could never truly live a normal life.

I dragged my body into the bathroom lethargically, turning on the shower, leaving the water to warm up. I stared at myself in the mirror, reaching for my tooth brush. My curly locks were disheveled, and my extraordinarily green eyes were hazy from sleep. I squirted the minty tooth paste onto the bristles of my tooth brush, shoving it into my mouth, scrubbing my pearly white teeth. When done, I spat into the sink, rinsed my mouth with water, and hopped into the shower.

I let the hot water slide down my body, standing there for a bit, allowing it to wake me up. I let out a yawn, then reaching for the soap. I lathered the white bar up into my hands, then running them over my body. I was still groggy when I stepped out of the shower; it wasn’t till I was dressed in my suit and tie when I got around to getting a cup of coffee. As soon as the caffeine bitterness hit my tongue, I felt my head clearing, and my eyes widening. After finishing the cup of joe, I left my apartment, heading for the subway. Morning time was the worst time to catch the tube; everyone pushing and shoving to get to their jobs. But I actually didn’t mind it too much; because for once, I felt like a normal person being lost in the crowd.

***

When I reached 25th avenue, my destination was across the street. The fifteen story, grey concrete building held an air of prominence and promise. I took a deep breath, and began to cross the busy street, briefcase in hand, retrieving honking and yells from the angry cab drivers that were in a hurry to get there well paying customers to their designated places. I waved a hand apologetically to them, entering the law firm of Lex Luthor.

“Morning Mr. Styles,” I smiled at the petite brunette sitting behind the desk centre of the lobby.

“Morning Cheryl,” She smiled, and returned her attention back to the computer screen in front of her.

I entered the elevator, pressing the button next the number fifteen. Just as the doors were closing, a voice called out.

“Hold the doors!”

I saw her at the last moment, placing my hand in between the small crack of the closing steel doors. The Elevator doors rang, then slowly began to open. If I was an ordinary human, half of my hand would have been crushed. My heart raced; I hoped no one saw that, or the dent on the elevator door.

“Thanks,” she pants, entering the lift, her breathing erratic.

“No problem,” I reply, looking her over. She was small, about five feet, three inches. Long auburn locks fell against her shoulders in waves. She had a tiny waist, but her curves clearly showed in the grey skirt and white long sleeved collar shirt. Smoldering hazel eyes met mine, a smile animating her ruby red lips, contrasting against her porcelain skin.

“Harlow, Harlow James. This is my first day.” She states, holding her hand out toward me. I clear my throat, shaking her petite hand, it almost looking like a hand of a child against my own.

“Harry, Harry Styles. Who are you going to be working for?” She sighed, reaching into her messenger tote, pulling out folded piece of paper.

“Lex Luthor? I’m his new secretary.” My jaw involuntarily clenched at the mention of his name. My boss wasn’t exactly a saint; he was crude, and over worked his employees. He wasn’t for probono; I was in favour of giving my services to people who needed it for free. I rather enjoyed helping people without using my powers, but my wit and astuteness. But Lex was money hungry, even though he owned half of the city.

“Yes, well, I’m on my way to his floor. I’d be more than happy to show you to his office.”

Her smiled deepened, and she folded her piece of paper up, shoving it back into her bag.

“That’d be great. This building is huge, I’m sure I’ll get lost.”

I let out a small laugh, nodding my head. “My first day was hectic; I got sent to every floor in this building, just to run one errand. You’ll get the hang of it though. And if you need anything my desk is right across from Lex’s office.”

Just as she opened her mouth to speak, the elevator doors opened, and the chattering of my co-workers interrupted her.

“Well, here we are.” I stepped out, and Harlow followed close behind me. All eyes were on her as we crossed the office. We were outside of Lex’s door when I said my goodbyes.

“My desk is right over there, come by if you need anything.” She smiled, disappearing behind the large mahogany door. I grimaced at the sight of Lex’s name inscribed in a plaque made of gold. I went back to my desk, pulling out the folders of my cases from my briefcase along with my computer. I laid the manila folders out alphabetically, and was in the process of turning on my laptop when Josh Worthington, the womanizer of the fifteenth floor, strode over. The blonde had a wide grin on his face, his bright baby blue eyes gleaming. I wasn’t in the mood to hear about his recent conquests. Not everyone wanted to sit and listen to a man ramble on about the women he got into bed.

“Lex’s new secretary is a babe! Have you seen her?” I felt my jaw tighten; Harlow seemed like a gem, and Josh was the last person she wanted in her life. He knew, just from their brief encounter, that she deserved way more than a one night stand with a self absorbed prick like Josh.

“Yes, she seems…sweet.”

Josh chuckled, “Oh boy is she sweet. I wonder if she’s single. Hmmm…I guess I better go find out.” He began to walk away, but stopped in his tracks.

“Oh, Harry!” He turns around, bouncing back over to my desk.

“Did you finish my speech for my brother’s wedding?” Mindlessly, I reach into my brief case and pull out a piece of notebook paper, handing it to Josh. He wasn’t good at ‘writing speeches’, so he says. So instead of trying his best, he asked me to do it. I could have said no, but the part of me that constantly wants to help people wouldn’t let me.

“Thanks Harry, you’re the man!” With that he’s gone, most likely fondling the other secretaries.

***

After a conference with some eligible clients, I return to my desk, finding a note written on a yellow post it. It was placed atop of my closed laptop. I picked up the memo, and began to read.

Thanks for helping me out. Maybe we can get coffee or lunch some time. –Harlow)

There was an imprint of red lips left after her name. I sat back down, staring tediously at the note. running my thumb over the spot of the note she kissed. Having a huge secret like mine is complicated enough without adding romance into the mix. Though it was just a harmless insinuation for lunch, I couldn’t help but get the feeling I’d begin to care too much for Harlow. A relationship wasn’t something I could manage. I’m constantly gone when I’m not at work. The city needs a hero; and that entitles sacrifices—dating being one of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I literally wrote this in an hour, so pardon me if it was boring, or has grammatical errors! )-:

I'm Skully and I will be writing for Harry and Harlow! xoxo