Super Trouble

Chapter Four: Calling the Bat

Jamie walked downstairs, in search of her mother and father. She wasn’t sure how to tell them what her brother had told her. She knew her father wouldn’t take it well, and her mother wouldn’t be too happy about her son falling for Luthor’s daughter.

Jamie found her parents sitting on the couch together. Her mother was wrapped in her father’s arms, and they were leaning into each other.

“Mom, Dad.”

They both looked up at her and frowned. “Jamie, you shouldn’t be out of bed.” Her mother had been frightened when Jamie had come home pale, and weak.

Jamie sat down on the chair across from them. “I needed to tell you something.”

“What is it?” her father asked, confused.

“Jake just talked to me. He told me something. I’m not sure how to tell you this.”

Lois stared at her daughter. “Jamie? What did your brother do?”

Jamie put her forehead on her hands. “He has a crush on Lex Luthor’s daughter.”

Clark smiled. “That’s not so.....Wait, what?” Her father’s smile went to a frown instantly as he realized what she had said. “Did you say ‘Luthor’s daughter’?”

Jamie nodded and her father stood up. “I need to have a word with our son,” he said to Lois before heading for the stairs.

“He’s not there. He flew out when he realized that I was going to tell you.”

Clark looked at his daughter. “I’m glad you told me. I’ll take care of it.”

When he walked off, Lois looked at her daughter. “You feeling okay?”

Jamie looked up at her mother and gave her a weak smile. “I’m fine.”

“Don’t lie to me, Jamie. Your father and I haven’t exactly known what to expect when it came to Jake’s and your reaction to Kryptonite. It only affects your father while he’s near it and for a few minutes after, depending on how long he’s around it.”

“I’m okay. Still a little bit weak, but I’m okay.”

Walking over to her daughter, Lois nodded and touched her daughter’s forehead. “I was hoping that since you were only half Kryptonian, that you and Jake wouldn’t be as badly affected. I didn’t think you’d be affected worse than your father.”
Jamie gave her mother a weak smile. “I’ll be okay, Mom.”

Lois nodded and touched her daughter’s cheek before stepping back. “I should probably start my next story. Superman and the Trouble Twins save the day.”

Jamie laughed and tilted her head. “The Trouble Twins?”

Lois smiled. “Yes, because you two are nothing but trouble.”

“Gee, Mom. Thanks so much.”

Lois smiled before walking out of the living room and back to her computer.

*****

The following week after the incident made the school feel so strange. Everyone was trying to figure out why Jamie seemed to be home sick, and what had make Jake angry. Jake wouldn’t talk to the friends that he had, and when someone questioned him about his sister, he’d tell them to ask Superman.

When Jamie finally showed up at school, everyone had read about Superman and the Trouble Twins. One of her friends ran up to her and smiled. Her black hair had blue streaks in it now, and she had on bright red lipstick. Her gray eyes shined with excitement while she spoke.

“Hey. I’m so glad your back. Have you read about Superman and the fantastic Trouble Twins? The guy’s hot. What was his name....." she glanced at the newspaper before looking back up. “The Channeller? He’s so gorgeous. Don’t you think?” she said, holding up the picture on the front of the newspaper and waiting until Jamie looked at it.

“He’s alright,” Jamie muttered, looking around for her brother.

“Well, I can see that your distracted. Looking for your brother or a boyfriend?”

“My brother,” Jamie said, looking at her. “Do you know where he is?”

“Probably following Rachel Luthor around. He’s been staring at her with those amazing big blue eyes of his. Of course Rachel hasn’t noticed. She’s too busy talking about how she’s interested in the Channeller because he saved her life and stuff.”

Jamie nodded and looked away. “Thanks,” she muttered, before walking off to find her brother.

When Jamie found Jake, she walked over to him. “Where have you been?” she asked, watching her brother.

“Saving the world. Something that you’ve been slacking on,” Jake said, glaring at his sister.

Jamie looked at her brother in disbelief. “I was sick Jake. Or do I even need to remind you that I was the one that nearly died?”

“You didn’t have a building collapse on you.”

“You have super strength,” she snapped, pushing her brother backwards.

Jake watched her. “So do you. And all it took to stop you was a glowing green rock.”

Jamie’s eyes flashed with temper, and before she could hit her brother a teacher interfered by grabbing her arm.

“What’s going on here?”

“Nothing,” Jamie said, looking at Mr. Grayson’s hand on her arm.

He removed it and looked at Jamie over the top of his glasses, his dark brown eyes, showing anger. He has never liked Jamie, thinking that she was just a spoiled kid. His ran a hand through his blond hair that had faded to gray and frowned at her. “Do I need to give you detention to remind you that violence, even towards your own brother, is not permitted in this school?”

Jamie shook her head while Jake spoke. “Its my fault. I said some things that I knew would make her angry. I apologize for starting a fight.”

Mr. Grayson nodded before smiling at Jake. “It’s quite fine, Jake. Irritating your sister is a hobby for every brother.”

Jake nodded and waited until he walked off before looking at his sister. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.”

Jamie didn’t answer. She was furious with her brother, and having Mr. Grayson be the one that interfered made her temper worse. She walked off, heading home.

*****

Jamie walked into the house, with an excuse ready for her parents. She was surprised when she had seen their car in the drive, along with a black limo. Walking into the living room, she stopped when she heard voices in the kitchen and frowned before following them.

“Don’t worry, Clark. I’ll help.”

Jamie walked in and saw Bruce Wayne sitting across the table from her father and mother. A young man sat beside him. For a moment, she thought it was Robin until she realized that he was younger than Robin. Jamie’s eyes locked with his grayish blue eyes as they looked each other over. His dark brown hair was the same color as the man sitting beside him. When he smiled, he had a cute boyish smile that made Jamie’s stomach feel like butterflies were fluttering about inside. She smiled back at him shyly, and looked at her parents.

“Jamie? Are you alright? I knew you shouldn’t have gone to school today,” her mother said, worry in her voice.

“I’m fine. I lost my temper and needed to come home.”

Clark looked at his daughter. “You remember Bruce Wayne, right?”

Jamie nodded before looking at Mr. Wayne, his brown hair and brown eyes making him classified as handsome, no matter what his age. “Mr. Wayne, its good to see you,” Jamie said, respectfully.

Bruce smiled at her. “It’s always great to see you, Jamie. This is my son, Hunter. Hunter, this is Clark’s and Lois’s daughter Jamie.”

Hunter looked at her for a moment and nodded to her. “Hello.”

“We can see where he gets his personality, Bruce,” Clark said, smiling.

Bruce shrugged. “Diana’s made me so much more sociable as well,” Bruce said, referring to his wife.

Jamie knew a little about the man at her table and his wife. Princess Diana, also known as Wonder Woman, was a member of the Justice League along with her father. She was a Princess on another planet, in another galaxy and came to earth. She met and fell in love with Bruce Wayne, or better known as Batman, and they married. Batman had a troubled past. Both his parents had been shot in front of him, and he fell down into a hole filled with bats. He feared bats for a long time, but know uses the symbol of his fear as his calling.

Clark looked at his daughter. “Where’s Jake? Bruce and I would like to talk to him.”

“He’s still at school,” Jamie said, finally understanding what the Batman was doing in her kitchen.

Her father had called him in to help him with Jake.