Super Trouble

Chapter Five: Superman’s Lex

When Jake walked in after school, he was furious with himself and Jamie. He hated that he had upset her, but he was even more furious with her for not knowing that he hadn’t meant what he said. After a quick glance around the empty living room, Jake turned and walked upstairs to his room. He wasn’t in the mood to deal with his parents. He knew that they would more than likely know what had happened between him and Jamie that morning.

When Jake entered his room, he was surprised to see a note on his dresser from his father and a bed made with bags sitting on it. Jake walked over and grabbed the note.

Jake,
A friend is going to be staying here for a few days, and his son is going to be sleeping in your room. Be nice and don’t start trouble.
Dad


Jake ran a hand through his black hair and frowned. Why did he have to have the guy in his room? Why not in Conner’s room or the guest room?

When the door to his room opened and a tall guy with dark brown hair and grayish blue eyes, Jake looked at him, trying to figure out whether or not they had met before.

Deciding they hadn’t, Jake looked at him. “Who are you?”

Hunter looked over at the boy across the room from him. He knew that he had to be Jamie’s brother because just like Jamie and Clark, this guy had black hair and piercing blue eyes. He was tall, with a broad shoulders. Hunter took in his features and just gave him a neutral look. “I’m Hunter. You must be Jake.”

Jake nodded. “Yes, I am. How do you know who I am?”

Hunter walked over to his bed and shrugged. “Met your sister and your father. It didn’t take long to figure out whether or not you were Conner or Jake. I met Conner once.”

Jake didn’t say anything. He just walked over to sit down at his desk and opened his computer. When his sister’s Facebook page came up, Jake frowned and clicked out of it, only to realize he wasn’t the one signed onto Facebook.

“What were you doing on my sister’s page?” Jake asked, prepared to play the brotherly role.

Hunter glanced over his shoulder at Jake’s back. “I was trying to figure her out. She seems to be more complicated than your father was. I guess she got that from your mother.”

Jake turned to face Hunter in surprise. “You find my mom and sister complicated to understand?”

Hunter nodded, but didn’t say anything. He was digging through his bags and trying to look busy.

Hunter knew that it wasn’t really a lie, but his father had told him that half truths would be considered a lie with Clark and his family. Hunter didn’t really care at the moment though. He wasn’t about to tell Jake the real reason he had been on Jamie’s page. It had surprised him when he had first saw Jamie. He had felt as though he was lost in her blue eyes, and her shy smile nearly stopped his heart. He could tell by looking at her that she wasn’t shy, and couldn’t figure out why she’d act as though she was.

Jake just shrugged and stood up. “Any idea where my sister is?”

Hunter looked over at him. “Last I saw her, she was heading to her room.”

“Thanks.” Jake walked out of the room and went to find his sister.

*****

When Jake walked into his sister’s room, he wasn’t surprised that it’d be empty. Jamie wasn’t the type to hide out in her room. He frowned before heading downstairs to look. He walked into the living room to find that it was still empty before heading into the kitchen to the sound of voices. Walking inside, Jake stopped when he saw his parents’ and Jamie talking to Bruce Wayne.

“Jake, I’m glad your here.”

Jake looked at his father, before looking at his sister. “I need to talk to Jamie.”

“It can wait,” his mother said, before pulling out the chair next to her.

Jake frowned but sat down. He knew that this couldn’t be good. “What is it this time?” he asked, worried looking at his sister to see if she knew anything.

Jamie wasn’t watching her brother though. She was looking off to the side, letting her mind wander. He knew she wasn’t having visions, because she was blocking him out of her thoughts.

Clark stood up and walked over to the fridge and pulled out a few bottles of water. “Jake, I asked Bruce to come talk to you.” Clark said, sitting down across from his son and setting the bottles on the table.

Jake glanced at his father, surprise showing on his face. “About what? Rachel?”

Bruce nodded. “Yes, actually. Jake, Lex Luthor wants nothing more than to rule the world, and people like your family and the Justice League are standing in their way. He knows that the only way to defeat us is to trick us. His tricks had lead to many disasters.”

Jake glared. “I know this. What does this have to do with his daughter though? She’s not her father.”

Bruce looked at Jake for a long moment. “How do you know? Maybe Luthor has been training his daughter to help destroy your family. He created a clone of your father to destroy Clark and became the new Superman. He created Conner to destroy Clark, but he put too much of Clark in Conner.”

Jake frowned. “She’s not like her father.”

Clark looked at his son. “Jake, what Bruce is saying is that you don’t truly know that. You can’t know a person by a small amount of time. Lex and I were friends for years before he allowed the evil inside him show. Maybe his daughter is the same way.”

“Just because you allowed yourself to be tricked by Lex Luthor multiple times, doesn’t mean that I will too. I may be your son, but I’m not you.”

Clark nodded, but before he could speak, Jamie stood up. “We can all see that your not Dad. Dad is good, pure good. He doesn’t push his family away because he’s angry that we disagree. You’re right that your not Dad, Jake. Because Dad didn’t allow himself to give up on Lex Luthor when he started becoming evil. Dad tried to help Luthor fight it.”

Clark smiled at his daughter’s words.

Bruce stood up. “Jamie’s right. Clark spent many years trying to be a good enough influence on Luthor to ensure he stayed good. For a while it worked well, but then Luthor just gave in to his darkness and the influence of his father. He started out by stealing Lana Lang from your father. Under Luthor’s influence, Lana’s girl next door personality changed to something darker. Though she’s still a good person, she’s not the Lana your father knew.”

Jake looked at them. “Why are you telling me about Dad’s ex-girlfriend?”

“To show you how easily someone can be changed under the wrong influences. Luthor’s years of dealing with the darkness of his father, caused him to become evil. Lana’s time as Luthor’s wife changed her to where she had some darker qualities.”

Jamie gasped as an image came into her thoughts at Bruce’s words. A young girl walked down the streets, fear in her eyes as she walked into a dark room. The sound of voices surrounded her as she pushed through the darkness until she found where she needed to be. “Justin?” she asked, worried.

“He’s not here, my dear. It seems like last night was his last act, and yours.” When someone grabbed the girl, she screamed and fought. She seemed to hurt the guy multiple times before the man put a cloth over her mouth, causing her to lose consciousness.