Super Trouble

Chapter Six: Zatanna’s Secrets

Jamie came out of the vision quickly and looked at her family sitting before her. She was surprised to see Hunter watching her from the doorway, with worry in his eyes.

“What’d you see?” Clark asked, watching his daughter for a long time.

“Someone needs our help,” Jamie said, looking at the people before her.

Lois looked at her daughter. “What do you mean?”

When Jamie didn’t answer, Jake did. “She saw a girl get kidnapped. The girl was looking for a guy named Justin and he’s missing as well.”

“Strange you would know that, when I just found out myself.”

They all turned to the sound of the voice and stared at Zatanna. Her black hair and blue eyes making her look like part of the family. She wore her stage outfit. The black tux with short black shorts.

“Zatanna? What are you doing here?” Bruce asked, watching her in surprise.

Zatanna looked at them. “They already gave you the details. My son and his assistant went missing. I only found a cloth at his apartment. It smelled as though there was medicine on it. The lights were blown out.”

Clark looked at her and then looked at Bruce. “Know anyone who can steal a magician?”

When Bruce shook his head, Clark looked back at Zatanna. “Did you make any enemies lately?”

Zatanna smiled slightly. “Only your wife, but she hasn’t liked me since she first saw me.”

Clark smiled at that and took Lois’s hand. “Who would want to get revenge on you, Zatanna?”

Zatanna shrugged. “Anyone. John and I aren’t exactly loved,” she said, referring to her husband, John Constantine.

Clark nodded. “Maybe it was someone trying to get back at John?”

Zatanna shook her head. “If it was, they wouldn’t have been able to grab Justin. Justin has my powers, not his.”

Bruce looked at Zatanna for a long time. “What have you been doing lately, Zatanna?” Bruce asked, wondering if she had gotten herself into trouble.

“Putting on shows and saving the world. Same thing thing I’ve done since I had my son.”

Bruce didn’t say anything, but Clark decided to ease the tension. “Have you talked to Constantine?”

Zatanna nodded. “Yes. He doesn’t know how could have taken Justin. He’s looking for him right now. I thought I’d come to the League for help. Or do you only help members?”

“Once a member, always a member,” Clark replied, walking over to her. “You’re still our friend and we will help.”

Zatanna looked at him. “I doubt I should expect all of you to help. After all, some of the league wasn’t too happy when I left.” She looked pointedly at Bruce, still angry with him for shutting her out.

Bruce ignored her and stood up. “I should go see if Hunter is settled in,” he said, before walking to the stairs.

Clark looked at his back and waited for him to get up the stairs before looking at Zatanna. “You two have got to work out your problems. Bruce wasn’t mad that you left Zatanna. He was mad that you married Constantine.”

Zatanna glared at him. “He married Diana, so why is it wrong that I married John?”

Lois looked at her. “Because you two were in a relationship for nearly a year before you broke up and then a few months later you went back to John Constantine.”

Zatanna closed her eyes. “I had my reasons.”

“You should tell Bruce those reasons.”

Zatanna looked at Clark. “Why does it matter now? We’re both happy with our spouses. I don’t need to be friends with my ex. It’ll just complicate everything.”

Clark reached out and touched her arm. “You might want that friendship when things like this happen.”

Zatanna nodded. “I’ll talk to him when I feel like telling him. Right now, it doesn’t matter. I just want to find my son.”

Clark nodded and stepped back. “I’ll contact the rest of the League and we’ll look for him. e’ll do whatever we can to find your son.”

Zatanna nodded and sat down, laying her head in her hands. She felt the pain and fear she’d been fighting since she was last in her son’s apartment finally overcame her, and for the first time since Clark knew her. He watched her weep.