She Is a Mystery

Her?

Chapter 3:
EDWARD POV

Carlisle was... how do i say this? A mess, but he wasn't he didn't seem it on the outside, but he was one on the inside. Although I understood, he had explained long ago when I was first changed, about his loss and it was something that only Esme also knew.
I saw pictures of her, paintings of course, but pictures none the less. And I had heard stories, she sounded perfect for Carlisle, and at one time he even let his thoughts ramble,about if whether it was possible she was.. well like us, and I was excited so much to a point I contacted the Volturi, and well they didn't help in fact they were very vague, like they knew something. That's when I realized that they were most likely the reason she was taken from Carlisle's life. However I could never tell him that.
And then we moved up to New York, and Emmett caught the whiff of a vampire, Jasper automatically assumed it was some deranged newborn. And when Emmett came back with his news, I knew something wasn't right, and when Alice said she couldn't place the girl... I knew my hunch was right. But something about the girl was familiar, and the second I saw her in Emmett's thoughts, I knew I was right. The second you look at her something comes over you... I wanted to pull her close, in an embrace, however not in the romantic way, but in the "I MUST protect her" way.
So I told Emmett to invite the vampire over, that we wanted to meet our new neighbor. Some how he convinced her also, because she was walking up to the door less than an hour later. Esme answered the door, and the second Esme saw her she thought: She is my daughter. I understood immediately, it was almost as if that was the way it truthfully was, Esme wanted to be her mother, just like I wanted to protect her. She welcomed the girl in. When she stepped into the living room, It hit me. She was no more that eighteen, however looking in her eyes showed the wisdom and years that she had endured. She sat down next to me. We had a connection immediately and I could tell Bella didn't like it but with a reassuring smile Bella calmed down. Something was wrong.... again. I couldn't really hear her, the girl I mean. I just heard my own thoughts bouncing of her. She smiled and nodded as if understanding my thoughts about it, when she nodded I understood. She could hear me, as if my thoughts were being projected at her. She frowned... okay I'm wrong, i suppose... we'll discuss this later. She smiled again. Emmett laughed at her expression which had she been human she would probably be blushing.
"How about an intro, Lil?"
"Okay, Emmett. My name is Lily, I'm eighteen... i guess, and hello?" Emmett laughed at her introduction. He introduced her to everyone... Jasper, Alice, Rose, Bella, myself and Esme. Lily noticed someone missing, but didn't say anything. I took her around the house and then into Carlisle's office so we could talk.
"My power... is one of protection, it doesn't really have bounds, it is like intuition, when I am in danger I become protected, through others, powers, or just leaving... I am safe." That explained so much. We sat down and she asked, "So who haven't I met?"
"Our surrogate father." Who actually just arrived and was walking through this very door. When the door opened Carlisle had a look of pain and shock and love on his face.
"Millicent?"