Frostbitten

Present Day: Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Rise of The Guardians characters.

Jack Frost touched the window with one finger, causing a thin sheet of ice to swirl on it. He was currently in Texas, a place he didn't normally visit much. It wasn't that he didn't like it less than other states or that he didn't want to help the children believe, but for as long as he could remember people got suspicious when he gave them snow days here or even just put ice on the roads. He had no idea why they couldn't have as much fun in the snow as anyone else, but for some reason the other Guardians, Bunny especially, always stopped him from getting too crazy here. He let them have a huge snow day on Valentine's Day once, before he was a Guardian, and that was the most fun he ever had because the kids here appreciated it more than anyone. But they never got a white Christmas.

He looked through the window to make sure no one had seen. It was fairly sunny out, even though it was the beginning of December, and someone would really have a cow if they saw ice on the window in 85 degree weather.

One girl inside the classroom perked up in surprise. Now you've done it, Jack. He should have made sure no one was watching before he went and did something like that. She must have been staring at the window the entire time, aching to get out of class. "It's no fun here," he said to himself. And to the girl, but it wasn't like she could see him or even hear him. She must be at least 17 or 18. No way would she believe even if he did give them the cold a lot of the kids were longing for. "Sorry," he muttered. "I wish I could do something."

What would the harm be in having some fun here? He didn't see anything wrong with it. He knew now that he was a Guardian he couldn't be so careless, but his center was fun after all and that was the reason the Moon had chosen him in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Des stared out the window. The teacher was droning on and on and on, going off on complete tangents. If she was going to be forced to be here she at least wanted to learn what she was supposed to learn, not someone's life story.

Her eyes were going blurry from staring in one place for so long. She was dozing off, daydreaming about what she was going to do that afternoon and quickly realizing she had nothing to do besides lay in bed and watch TV shows. But she knew it wasn't just clouded vision or her imagination when a swirl of ice that seemed almost like a floral pattern appeared on the window. She sat up in surprise. It was like 100 degrees outside, unless the weather decided to suddenly go bipolar. What the...?

Just as quickly the ice faded-it didn't melt, more like it just disappeared almost, it just faded like your breath does when it fogs up the window.

No way. It had to be her imagination. That was a part of her daydream because she wanted snow and cold and ice like everyone else had in December. She did not actually just see ice form on a window that the sun was beating so hard down on. There was some logical explanation, it was something else, not actually ice. She wished it was though, but then if she pointed it out to someone or even said she thought she had seen ice on the window she'd get laughed at and be labeled as crazy. No. No way. She didn't fit in enough as it was.

She fought the urge to stand right up and walk over to the window. Maybe when class was over she'd look out, make sure nobody was out there just trying to prank her or mess with her. She'd probably still look insane even if she did that. Des decided to just stare out intently right now and try to see the best she could...

"Miss Guthrie."

Of course. So cliche. She would get called on for not paying attention out of everyone in the class doing the exact same thing.

"Yes?"

"I asked a question."

Obviously. "Could you repeat it?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The girl stared right at him. She can't see me though... can she? He almost jumped back in shock. It couldn't be... He knew that face, knew those blue eyes, that long sleek dark brown hair. He had no idea how-he didn't come here often, and he thought maybe he had known her a few years ago from some other place when she was a kid, but that was highly unlikely too. He was very good at remembering and putting names with faces, what with being immortal and all, so he couldn't imagine why nothing was coming to him.

The teacher pulled her attention away to the front of the class, and Jack tried to shake off the feeling of familiarity, vague as it was but still there. It was all in his head, he told himself. He jumped down from the window and up into the air, leaving a path of cool behind him, off to go somewhere more fun to clear his head.