Status: Active

Saving Graces

A Dance With the Devil

The minute he heard his mother yell her name, he wasn't sure what to think. He didn't even know what to do. He didn't know what to think either. All he wanted was to see her.

Jax's gaze followed Gemma's brisk walk to the Impala, and grinned inwardly. Of course, the car he was working on happened to belong to some girl that shares the same name with someone from his dreams. Only, he wasn't so sure coincidence was the case when he saw a familiar tiny brunette Asian woman, smiling up widely at Gemma. He hadn't seen when Opie followed his gaze to the same girl.

He knew he never saw her outside of his dreams before, and seeing her for the first time in reality threw him off. Were his dreams a premonition? Or did they really meet somewhere and he didn't know? Fuck Jax watched as the girl waved a good-bye to Gemma as she began to slowly peel out of the TM lot. He ignored the laughter coming from his brothers as they chatted randomly.

It was like he was moving in slow motion, walking stiffly to the TM office hot on Gemma's heels. He felt his body drop onto the blue couch, legs stretched out in comfort as they crossed at the ankles. He stared at her, eyeing her in confusion.

"You wanna tell me what crawled up your ass, or do I have to slap some sense into you?" Gemma snapped smartly. Remembering that she knew nothing about his recurring dreams, Jax forced himself to calm down. He moved to scratch the back of his head awkwardly.

"Just wanted to let you know Ope and his family is coming to dinner tonight," he covered. His odd attitude already tipped her off. In hindsight, he should have thought it out; how could he ask his mom for information on a girl whom he had no clue about?

A snort followed his reply and Jax rolled his eyes when Gemma narrowed hers. "That it? Stomp into my office to tell me Opie and the Brady Bunch is coming to the house for dinner?" He eyed her warily, arms crossing over his chest as if to deflect any poke, prod and jab she made of him. Gemma grinned haughtily and crossed her own arms under her breasts, her index finger pointing at him accusingly. "I bet," she started smugly, giving a small flip of her hair, "that you really wanted to get the 4-1-1 on that little number that drove out of here in that Impala!"

"NO!" He choked on air that he breathed in when he gasped. His strangled reaction told Gemma all she needed to know as he complained. She raised a brow and crossed her arms over her chest. He knew it was pointless to fight, and gave up with lackluster. "The fuck did you know!?"

A familiar cocky grin was shown his way, "Mothers know all and see all, honey. Totally saw you checking out that girl when I called her from halfway across the parking lot. You little shit; thinking you can pull a fast one on me!" Gemma cackled in merriment as Jax rubbed his face with embarrassment. He could feel the tips of his ears burning with a blush, his cheeks turning a nice shade of pink.

As if it wasn't enough to see her son blushing for the first time in forever, Gemma cackled to herself, turning the office chair to face her desk as she pretended to work. "She's coming to dinner tonight," she mentioned calmly when she saw him march to the door. "Wear something nice, won't you Jackson?"

He groaned and left the office, waving her off as he shuffled back to the clubhouse. "Crazy woman!" he shouted humorously.

Gemma rolled her eyes, but stood up and walked to the door. She grinned widely when she saw the men were still outside by the bikes. Perfect. "First impressions are everything, baby! Dress nice tonight; hot date!"

"Ma!" he yelped. Turning around, he couldn't stand to see Gemma's Cheshire grin. "Jesus H. Christ," he muttered under his breath.

The men stared inquisitively, quiet as they watched Jax shake his head, humiliated. Chibs was the first to speak while Opie grinned.

"Aye lad, you got a date? You were so far up croweater pussy I didn't even know if you remembered what a date was!"

A round of loud laughter came from the group of Sons. Jax shrugged off the playful arm Tig through over his shoulder, pouting. "Jackie Boy, you been holding out on us?" Tig grinned salaciously.

Jax shook his head but didn't comment until Opie jumped in. "Alright, alright, you shitheads. Let the Prince breathe." Jax sighed thankfully; about to thank Opie out loud until his friend gave a Cheshire grin of his own. "He can't be too nervous for his date tonight!"

"Fuck you!"

--

This bitch was really starting to get on her nerves.

For the thousandth time that night, Gemma glared at the blonde croweater who dared to talk back to her. Hands clenched in a white-knuckle grip, Gemma perched them on the toned curves of her hips. Her lips were pursed into a thin line, eyes just begging the girl to argue one more time. The croweater glowered back but kept her mouth shut and turned around to finish setting up the dinner plates just as ordered.

Satisfied, Gemma moved and turned to finish setting up the dinner table. She hadn't expected the men to be on time, but was very surprised when she heard the telltale roar of SAMCRO headed her way. When the club parked at the front, loud footprints echoed throughout the quiet neighborhood. It was only 5:45PM when the door opened, the familiar light playful banter reaching her ears. She wiped the imaginary dirt from her clothes when she greeted them.

Tig greeted her with a kiss to each cheek as the rest of them hugged her in gratitude. "Mother Gemma," Tig grinned affectionately when the greetings were over. "When's dinner starting?"

Clay huffed as he let himself fall into the seat next to Gemma as she stood. "Soon, you fat ass," he answered for her. "Stop asking." The brotherhood laughed loudly as Tig pouted slightly.

"Grumpy bitches," he frowned jokingly. "I need 'uh beer."

Blue eyes scanned the room for the brunette he'd seen earlier, but felt disappointed when the only brunette he saw was in a pair of blue stilettos and a skirt too short to be considered tasteful. Jax shook himself out of a stupor though, reminding himself that he had no reason to be disappointed at all. What he didn't know, he didn't have to know. He was just curious.

"And curiosity killed the cat," he admitted to himself. He felt the need to get out of the room; the busybodies of the croweaters and the Queen, along with the Sons starting to make him feel slightly claustrophobic. He didn't notice Opie follow him out though, a little curious on his own. Jax took a long pull from the beer he grabbed from the cooler before he went out.

He stayed quiet when Opie pulled up a chair next to him though. His brother smiled slightly, "So, what's this about a date?"

Jax rolled his eyes out of habit and shrugged his shoulders. "No date man, Ma's just…wedging her foot up my ass again about getting over Tara. She's just playin'."

His brother grunted then hummed, giving him a lazy shrug of his own. "Hmm, nah man, I call bullshit." He was ignored until he said something else that had the cat jump at the bait. "Besides," his baritone voice continued. He recalled the girl from the lot that caught Jax's attention. "That girl from TM today looked like she was pretty sweet; got that girl next door vibe going on."

Jax didn't know what else to think, but really, he knew he should have seen that one coming. Gemma and Opie could read him like the back of their hands, and that was with the lack of trying. Jax could never hide anything from the two before. It was silly to think that he could start now. "Exactly; she shouldn't be having dinner with a bunch of bikers and their women. It's not…shit's not kosher."

"Fuck kosher, brother. You seem to be head over ass for her and you don't even know her name."

Without thinking, and relying on his dreams, Jax started to talk. "Her names Marie; likes to be called Em though. She's short, not a stick, and has a neurotic dog she keeps for company. Moved here for a job opportunity teaching chemistry at the local high school." Opie hadn't said anything yet, so Jax powered through, sparing him a daring glance. Telling him the truth sounded crazy enough that Opie would probably think it was all a lie. He shrugged inwardly; can't bite him in the ass later if he says this shit now anyway. "Dreamed about her before I even met her man. Shit's whack."

Opie blinked, and blinked again before taking Jax's beer. He downed the rest of the half-filled bottle. "Do you have any idea of how much of a pussy you sounded like just now?"

"Why are you such an asshole?"

--

Marie fingered the metal zipper of the leather jacket that was keeping her warm. As she toed random patterns onto the welcome mat she stood on, she pressed a cautious finger to the doorbell. It wasn't long until someone pulled the door open.

A round man stood in front of it. He had stringy gray and black hair, and a lumberjack beard. She giggled inwardly, as she dared to picture him in a red plaid shirt with thick brown work boots and blue worn jeans. She quickly shook herself out of that thought, and smiled brightly, "Hi, I'm Marie, Gemma invited me tonight."

Lumberjack smiled and leered at her. "Well darling," he drawled. The robust man began to lean smugly against the door. "If Gem didn't invite you, I would have just now. Ain't you pretty?"

"Aha," she laughed sheepishly. "Sorry Lumberjack, that won't happen. It's nice to meet you though."

The bearded man laughed loudly, throwing his head back as he swung an arm around her shoulders. He pulled her to his side and gave her a quick tight hug as he led her to the living room where everyone was waiting. "I'm gonna like having you around."

As they turned the corner into a crowded room, Marie smiled and gave him a nudge to his stomach. "Now, Lumberjack, I don't know if I should be thankful for the comment, or worried."

"Knowing Bobby Elvis, sweetheart, you're gonna have to do both."

Hearing Gemma's voice, the tiny woman turned around quickly, giving the mother-like figure a quick hug. Marie handed another basket giving Gemma a knowing look. "More treats like the ones from today, because I know you probably weren't kidding about hiding them from the guys." The older woman gave her a calculated once over before resigning with a nod and what seemed to be a proud smirk.

"Smart bitch," she praised earning a laugh from Marie and a chuckle from Bobby. He grabbed the basket of baked goods from Gemma's hand, earning him an eye roll. Gemma sent the older man off to join the rest of the men with the slightest wave of her hand as she pulled the fresh meat under her wing. She hugged Marie tightly to her side, "Come on, baby," she grinned widely. "I'll introduce you to everyone."

As she walked complacently next to the Queen, Marie took note of the abode she was invited to. The pristine gleam of the white marble tiles gave the home a welcome sophistication as it clashed wonderfully with the tan walls of the foyer. She saw many flower arrangements filling every carefully picked vase, in strategic places.

She smiled as she saw photographs line the entry to the living room, spying a group of men in front of classic Harley's and a few of two children who seemed to have no cares in the world. "Lovely home, Gemma, truly," she happily stated as they entered the living room. Gemma shrugged her shoulders with a sly grin.

"It's me, baby; do you really think I'd have it any other way?" Gemma only pulled the girl along as they finally reached the rest of the crowd. "Hey everybody shut up!" The noise of chatter seemed to come to a small stop, as she entered the room. Gemma nodded approvingly. "This is Em; be nice. Em, this is SAMCRO."

She smiled; alternating between nodding and waving to each person she was introduced to. The men, she noticed sported the same leather vest with various patches decorating the chest. On the back, a reaper pointed with its scythe held close, the name of the charter stamped proudly above and below it.

The sliding door leading to what she guessed to be a backyard patio opened slightly. The first man walking in was tall, and compared to her; he was a giant at best. He too had his SAMCRO cut on, his reddish brown hair brushed back from his face, and his graying beard reaching to nearly the top of his chest.

The second man that followed though was a few inches shorter than the first, blond hair and blue eyes cutting straight through the crowd, and to her. He had a blank face as he looked at her, though she noted it was fixed to some degree with shock. She grinned at the two when Gemma introduced them.

--

"Fucking Christ," he murmured to himself as he and Opie shrugged their way into the Teller-Morrow home. Opie moved to wedge himself next to his dad who was already sipping on a crystal of tequila. Almost immediately, he noticed the air change. He didn't even have to look around before he found himself staring right into the familiar gaze of a stranger. His stranger.

She had brown shoulder length hair in gentle smooth curls. As far as he could tell, she wore no make up, but her dark brown doe eyes stood out anyway. Under her leather jacket, she wore a simple black tank top, over maroon skinny jeans tucked into a pair of knee high black Chuck Taylors. He noted she wasn't the skinniest, but she definitely had a nice set of curves to her name.

He stoned his features, taking in her bright friendly smile. Gemma had soon let go of the guest, leaving her to fend for herself. Quickly, Tig saddled up to her side, pulling her to sit on the armrest of his chair. "So Em," Tig smiled cheekily as he looked up at her. "That just the letter, or does that stand for somethin'?"

She laughed and shook her head, "No, Tigger, my name is Marie. Em is just a nickname."

Opie raised a brow and looked over his shoulder to Jax who only rolled his eyes and took a pull from his bear. Piney sniffled a little, and cleared his throat as the alcohol made its way down to his stomach. "You're new around here," he stated rather than asked. When Marie nodded, it was Opie who took over the questioning.

"What do you do? Like, why'd you move?"

Her gaze was thoughtful, but filled with pride as she took her time to answer. "I recently graduated from college; got my degree in forensics with a minor in chemistry. Worked in the field for a bit before deciding to teach chemistry. My old college professor actually got me a job here; said they were trying to fill up a position for a year."

Opie nodded thoughtfully, and tugged lightly at his beard before sending a curious stare to his brother. "Holy shit," Opie mouthed to his brother. Jax could only shrug his shoulders; he couldn't deal with Opie's questions when he was busy trying to ignore the fact that Tig was trying to cozy up on his girl. When Tig reached for her hand, he frowned. Chibs and Opie were the only ones noticing Jax tense from across the room, following his gaze to a laughing Marie, and Tig pressing a kiss to her knuckles.

Gemma walked back into the living room live with chatter and laughs as the men grilled Marie to the bone. The young woman took each question with stride, even giving a bit of her own playful banter. She smiled, glad that the new addition was fitting in nicely with the roughest men of Charming.

"Dinner's ready, everyone. Let's go eat!"

--

Marie smiled at Jax who sat next to her at the table. While everyone engaged in their own mindless chatter, Jax had taken to simply eating his food and keeping quiet. "You know," she whispered jokingly, leaning to his side ever so slightly. "It's interesting that you're probably the most quiet of them all."

Jax stopped shoveling food into his mouth long enough to give her a look over his shoulder. Swallowing his mother's amazing lasagna, Jax lifted a brow, a smirk fighting its way through as he stared into her eyes. All night he'd stayed quiet, letting everyone else have a piece of her while he tried to figure out what to say, to ask, as if he didn't know her. He knew though, that no matter what he'd say, if he started talking first, he'd say something to make himself look like an asshole and an idiot all together.

"Not quiet," he smiled. "Just biding my time. Didn't think you'd want more questions on top of dumb ones from the Inquirers over here."

Her musical laughter had his heart beating just a little bit faster. "I suppose that's a good enough answer. I'd only hope that you weren't sick of me already."

Marie was pleasantly surprised when Jax had shaken his head and leaned back in his seat. He gave her a genuine smile. "Never darlin'," he whispered. "That would never happen."

His words sent just as much of an electric shock through her system as his gaze did. Although she had no clue why, Marie enjoyed the sensation as much as possible. It was nice.

She was about to reply to him when Gemma had pulled out the basket she had brought over earlier. Gemma grinned when hands flew into the basket, moans of happiness and surprise coming from the mouths of the men as they ate the brownies and cookies Marie had made. "Shit's good, huh?"

Jax had reached into the basket to pull out a sugar cookie. Biting into it, he saw her nervous frown. He smiled, "You make this?" He made out the slightest nod of her head and made a show of giving a happy groan as he took a bite into it. Marie giggled when he went so far as to throw his head back and close his eyes. "This is amazing."

--

Thirty minutes later an alarm had taken Marie and Jax out of their small conversation about her new job as her phone rang from her pocket. She smiled sheepishly as she pulled out the device, turning off the alarm. She cleared her throat and shrugged her shoulders, waving a good-bye to him as she moved to hug Gemma from her seat next to Clay.

"I'm sorry, Gemma, I've got to get going," Marie said sadly. Jax's eyes never left her short frame as she hugged his mother.

Gemma frowned, "Seriously? It's only eleven!"

Clay shook his head at his Old Lady and snapped his fingers before drumming them on the table. He smiled at Marie understandingly. He opened his mouth to say something until Chibs had spoken up instead. "Aye, Gem," he called out patronizingly from the other end of the table. "Little Em has got school in the mornin'. She's gonna miss her bedtime."

Marie rolled her eyes at the older man and placed a hand on her curved hip. "Knock it off," she joked in good spirits. Turning to Gemma she nodded, "He's right though. I've missed my bedtime by a good two hours. I have to be at the school at 6:00AM for a quick orientation before I can set up for my class and all that jazz. I'll call you later though, meet up for a late lunch or dinner tomorrow."

"All right, baby," Gemma nodded conceding even though a frown marred her face. She raised a hand to pat Marie's face affectionately. "Drive home safe."

Bobby's ears seemed to choose that moment to tune in, and it was at that moment he decided to speak loudly too. "You drove here? I didn't see no car when I got you at the door."

Marie shook her head, "No, I didn't drive. It's only a quick fifteen minute walk, and I didn't want to waste gas."

Jax gave a sour glower from his seat. The thought of something happening to her had frightened him deeply. His dream girl had suddenly become a reality he was afraid to lose, and he didn't want to chance it. Not with the Mayan shit hanging over their heads. "It's still unsafe to walk home so late at this time of night," he huffed. Standing and ignoring the knowing smug looks from Opie and Chibs, Jax patted his KABAR in reassurance as he pushed in his chair. "I'll take ya' home darlin'."

He saw the reluctance in her eyes; she didn't want to bother anyone. Yet, when she looked at Gemma and Clay's pointed gaze, she knew she had no say in the matter. With the slightest nod of her head, Marie smiled tentatively, "Okay, yeah. I'd appreciate that."

--

"You've got some balls to want to walk home alone this late at night. Peaceful or not, Charming's still dangerous," Jax had murmured as they pulled to a stop in front of her home only five minutes later. He took note of the off-white popcorn walls of the outside, with the black roof to boot.

Marie smiled and swung a leg over to get off his Dyna. Her small hands shoved themselves into the pockets of her jacket. She gave him a shrug. "I didn't intend to stay this late, remember?"

He nodded with a small grin. Jax had unclipped his helmet, letting it hang from one of the handlebars of his bike. "Right, you got school. Most people tend to stay away from that shit when they graduate, you know."

She heard his patronizing tone and rolled her eyes playfully, "Whatever. Obviously, I'm not most people."

When she heard his laughter, a wondrous bubbling sensation pooled in her gut. Monstrous butterflies and bees and all things that could fly seemed to waken as he continued to speak softly. His wide playful smirk turned into a softer grin when he moved to get off of his bike. "No, Em," he said softly. "You're not."

The pair had taken to following the concrete pathway to her front door, the motion-censored light brightening the entryway when they reached the foyer. Jax suddenly felt like some prepubescent teenager as he stood next to her while she fingered her house keys idly. Marie was looking down at her hands.

He didn't know what to do or say until Marie looked up at him with a gentle grin. "Thank you, Jackson, for taking me home tonight."

He raised a blonde brow. "Jackson?" he repeated. "Most people call me Jax."

"Does it bother you? Me calling you by your full name, I mean."

Seeing her worried expression, and hearing the concern in her voice, Jax shook his head. He liked it; hearing his name for another reason other than being in trouble. "No, it's fine. I don't mind."

The smile he was growing accustomed to seeing was on her face again. Decidedly, he liked seeing it there; in real life, and not just in his imagination. "Good," she retorted with a quick nod of her head. Marie finally moved to unlock her door and stepped inside, turning to face him while he stood a full foot taller than her. "Remember, I'm not like most people!" she reminded him with amusement.

Jax chuckled and looked down at her with a gentle stare. He took care to repeat himself slowly and quietly, "No darlin', you're not." She moved forward slightly, her gaze intent and fixed on his as he looked down at her. He saw her hesitate then pull back slightly, leaving him curious of what she wanted to do. He groaned inwardly. If it were anything like he'd hoped, he would have been in trouble.

"Good night, Jackson," she whispered softly. He nodded and let out a small breath of air, fanning her face. He leaned in, eyes drifting from her gaze to the curve of her cheekbones, and the supple outline of her lips. When she didn't move away, Jax summoned up the rest of his courage and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"Good night, Em." When he pulled away Jax gave her a small smirk, and walked backwards to his bike, slipping on his helmet. He started up his Dyna with a wave from the woman at the door. He pulled out of her lot as she moved to close the door, the light from the entryway shutting off.

He hummed to himself as he sped passed his mother's house and headed straight to the clubhouse. Jax felt genuinely happy for the first time since Tara had left so long ago.

"Good night indeed."
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I don't own them :(

But...

Please Rate, review, and all that good stuff :)