Born to Die

one.

September 1995

California sun beat down upon the roof of a small grey Audi as it pulled up to the curb. Once the engine cut off, Doctor Lucas stepped out of the drivers seat and skirted around quickly to the passenger seat. A slender, nervous looking woman stepped out of the vehicle. In Mrs. Lucas’s arms was a small infant swaddled in a baby pink blanket. The young couple made their way up to their newly purchased home and stared in adoration. The home was an old Victorian with all original fixtures; Mrs. Lucas was such a sucker for vintage.

Mrs. Lucas let out a soft sigh as she took in her surroundings. The house was beautiful and for such a steal as well. The sound of her heels clicking against the hardwood flooring caused the child in her arms to stir slightly. The remainder of the afternoon was spent exploring the home. Around noon, a large moving truck arrived and Doctor Lucas finished off the day directing movers where to put their furniture. As a request of the lady of the house, the doctor had the nursery furnished first.

As the sun fell and the night went on, Doctor Lucas and his wife spent their first evening curled up by the fireplace before retiring to bed for the evening. As soon as everyone was tucked away and fast asleep, the house really came to life.

“What are the chances...” Nora Montgomery droned as she stood over the cherry wood crib, “A doctor, his beautiful wife, and a child.”

No one said a word to the original owner of the home. Several sets of eyes just watched as she disappeared in thin air. Tate ran a hand through his disheveled mop of blonde hair and shifted slightly in his spot. Moria sighed softly admiring the baby’s soft skin, “Such a precious little child, so innocent.”

Tate nodded in agreement. He was unable to find his words. He studied the small sleeping child for what seemed like hours. He never even realized that everyone else in the room with him had disappeared. The teenager ran a shaky finger along the edge of the crib and looked directly into the infant’s eyes.

“Nothing will ever hurt you, I promise. I will keep you safe, forever.” The ghost reached down to brush is cold finger across the baby’s cheek. Her soft skin sent electric shocks up Tate’s arm causing him to retract it quickly. The spirit took a step back and disappeared, a look of longing on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
so, this is happening... enjoy :)