Born to Die

two.

April 2009

The Murder House was never an ordinary house, history could prove that. However, there was one day in particular that everything looked a bit more peculiar than the rest. It was the twenty-eighth day of the fourth month. Doctor Lucas would be celebrating his daughter’s fourteenth birthday along side his wife had he not been working. Over the years, Mrs. Lucas was well aware of her husband’s change in work schedule. Nothing seemed to phase the woman, however, as long as his paychecks still found a way into her bank account.

Young Miss Lucas stood by her window, looking out on the busy street. In sunny LA, Mrs. Lucas had done well for herself making lavish friends. Car after car, streams of people were filing into the Murder House to celebrate a birthday. However, it had soon become a party for adults rather than the guest of honor.

“You shouldn’t be spending your birthday alone.”

The voice sent chills down Miss Lucas’s spine, “I’m not alone... don’t you see the floor full of people downstairs?”

Tate smiled and sat on the edge of her bed, “Just because there are people around doesn’t mean you aren’t lonely, Emma.”

The brunette turned and felt her cheeks heat up as her eyes landed on the smirking ghost sitting on her bed, “I could never be lonely, not while you’re around.”

“I’ll always be around.” Tate replied reaching out to pull the girl into his arms, “Happy birthday.”

Emma rested her cheek against the knit material of Tate’s green striped sweater, her favorite sweater of his. They stayed that way in silence for a few moments, savoring the feeling of being in each other’s arms. A loud knock on the door caused Emma to pull away and move toward the door, her body instantly missing the feeling of Tate’s arms around her. The blonde gave a small smirk before disappearing, most likely up to the attic to play with Beau.

On the other side of the door, Moira stood with a knowing smile, “I’m sure you know by now what I would say Miss Lucas.”

“Of course Moira... My mother simply doesn’t understand though! I know I’m young, but I’m pretty sure I’m in love.”

The housekeeper smiled and pressed a gentle hand to the young girl’s back, “I don’t doubt you for a moment, dear.” As the two made their way back down to the ‘party’ Moira was instantly called away by one of Mrs. Lucas’s guests. Emma ran a hand over the skirt of her dress and pulled the practiced smile across her face as adults in expensive clothing greeted her.

Emma found her mother in the dining room with several other friends, all with a full glass of wine in hand. “Emma, darling, come say hello to my friends!” The young girl took a deep breath and prepared herself for the ridiculousness her mother was about to present, “Honey, this is Mrs. Cronwell, her son goes to school with you if I’m not mistaken.”

Mrs. Cronwell nodded shortly, “Yes, Jonathan is a senior this year. He’s headed off to Princeton on the east coast in just a few short months.”

The brunette listened to the middle aged woman drone on about nothing, smiling or giving a simple response at all the right times. Looking over her mother’s shoulder, Emma saw Tate doing backflips on her trampoline. She let out a soft giggle and smiled as he locked eyes and gave a small wave. Mrs. Lucas watched her daughter bubble into a soft fit of giggles and gave her curious friend a sheepish smile. She placed a frail hand on her daughter’s shoulder and ushered her away.

“I’m sorry about that... The child has such a wicked imagination, I don’t know where she gets it from.” Mrs. Lucas took a long sip of her wine before allowing her lips to fall into a deep set frown, “Ever since she was a little girl she’s had an imaginary friend, simply refuses to grow out of that stage.”

Mrs. Cronwell pursed her lips, “Sounds like that child has something wrong with her. Why doesn’t your doctor husband do something about it? Children like that used to be institutionalized.”

Slowly making her way through the hoard of people, Emma was finally able to return to the comfort of her bedroom. There was something different about the room when she returned. Nirvana was softly floating out of her speakers and there was a small wrapped package sitting on top of her sea foam green comforter. The brunette tucked the skirt of her dress underneath her as she hopped up onto the bed and pulled the package into her lap.

Emma carefully unwrapped the gift wrapped neatly in an old newspaper. Beneath the faded paper was a book, an encyclopedia of sorts, all about birds. “Why birds?” She asked knowing Tate would find her.

That was how their relationship of sorts had grown. Emma and Tate knew each other, feel their presence, and just speak openly. Tate had been watching over the girl for the past fourteen years, keeping her safe from all the horror and despair. He was her guardian and her friend.

“They can fly away when it gets too crazy.” He replied easily.
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoy! love all the feedback :)