Status: Trying to get back into writing this :)

Alone and Far From Home, I'll Find You

I've Never Told a Lie, and That Makes Me a Liar

(Natalie Holt)

“You two love each other,” I said, consoling Rebecca. “Everyone has arguments. When you still want to be with someone even after you want to tear their head off, that’s when you know that you’ve found the right person.”

“But what about everything that he said, Natalie? I can’t just forget about it.” She wiped away a few more tears. “I mean, he basically called me a whore.”

“He was hurt. He just thinks that you’ll find someone better than him if you move. Ryan just doesn’t feel like he’s good enough for you.” She rolled her eyes when I said this. “It’s true!” I laughed. “Listen, if he didn’t fight for you to stay, that’s when you should have been worried that he didn’t love you. I mean how many guys do you know that would just be completely rational and say ‘I’m afraid of losing you’. Zero.”

“It’s only Detroit! I’m not moving across the country!”

“It doesn’t matter. He just wants to be close to you. He loves you, Becca.” She started crying again. “Honestly, I don’t think you should move either.”

“Natalie—“

“Listen to me. You already have a really great life in Chicago, including a boyfriend that loves you. You shouldn’t give it all up for the possibility of a good job.”

“But I’ve wanted to be a publisher for so long!”

I sighed, “I know that and he knows that, but I just don’t think it’s the right time. Maybe you should wait for a time where you are both ready to move or wait for an opportunity closer to home. Ryan is a really great guy. Don’t choose a job over him.”

Rebecca looked at me with her red puffy eyes. She wiped her face with her blanket, trying to calm down. Finally she shook her head.

“I think you’re right.” She reached for her phone. “I need to call him.”

“Kay, I’ve got to go. There’s a situation downstairs, but call me tomorrow and tell me how it goes.”

“Will do,” Rebecca wiped her eyes one last time. “I love you.”

“I love you too. Talk to you tomorrow.” I closed the door behind me. Now it’s time to deal with this idiot.

I got to the stairs and saw the Alex guy chatting with my mom by the front door. “So, are you ready to go or are you still convinced that we knew each other in a former life?”

“Oh yeah, I’m ready to leave! I was joking the whole time! You couldn’t tell?” Alex said as if it were obvious.

“You had me take you to my mom’s house for the sake of a joke?” It all seemed very suspicious.

He laughed, “I’m really committed, yeah. I was just hoping your mom would say she knew me just to be polite, but turns out I was wrong.”

My mom giggled and patted his shoulder, “Well now I do know you, dear. It was nice talking to you.”

“It was nice talking to you too.”

She smiled, “You two really should get going, the snow is only going to get heavier.”

“You’re right,” I said buttoning up my coat, “We should be on our way. I love you.” I kissed my mom on the cheek and opened the door for Alex.

“I love you too. Drive safely.”

Alex waved to my mom as we walked out the door into the cold. My mom was right; it has started snowing a lot harder since we showed up only a few minutes ago.

“So, all of this was an act? Because if you were trying to pick me up, this is the weirdest attempt I have ever seen or been a part of.”

“I wasn’t trying to hit on you. It was a dare.”

I opened my car door, “A dare? How did you know my full name?”

“That girl you said earlier, was it Samantha?”

“Stephanie.”

“Right. Well I’m in a band and she recognized me and asked me to mess with you. I thought it would be fun.” He smiled at me.

I looked at him for a second before starting the car, “Well that was an outstandingly convincing performance, Alex.”

“Yeah, I really put my heart and soul into my acting.”

“Are you an actor too?”

“No.” Alex grinned cheekily.

“Okay then. So, where am I taking you?”

“The House of Blues, our bus is parked behind it.” He shuffled his hat around. “Thanks for driving me back. I’m sorry for freaking you out, by the way. I don’t want you to think I’m crazy or anything.”

“Now, why would I think that?” I laughed. “Some strange guy, on a request from a girl that he doesn’t know, pretends to be my old best friend? No, that’s absolutely normal.”

“Alright, I don’t need any of your attitude Natalie.” He said my name as if it were stupid. I smiled because he was acting like such a little kid. “And you said yourself that I’m one of the most impressive, convincing, sexy actors you’ve ever seen in your life, so I can’t be that abnormal… well besides my other-worldly good looks.”

My mouth was wide open with what I’m sure was an incredulous look on my face. “I never said any of that!”

“Liar!” Alex shouted back at me. At this point, we were stopped at a traffic light. “You did say that I was convincing!” I rolled my eyes at him. “If you’re lying about that part, who’s to say that you didn’t say the rest of it too?”

“Talk about liars! You lied to me for a good thirty minutes!”

“Not the same.” He said simply. “I was doing a favor for a fan. You’re just going around telling lies all willy nilly!”

I had to burst into laughter. “’Willy nilly’?”

“Yes. Otherwise known as Willy of Nilly.”

“You are insane.” I said still trying to catch my breath.

“You’re insane.” He said under his breath.

“Fine, you can get out of the car then. Wouldn’t want a crazy person driving you around.”

“Make me.” Alex crossed his arms.

I looked up at the traffic light; it was still red. I reached over for his seatbelt, but before I could grab it, he caught my arms. I struggled to pull them free as Alex adjusted his hands to get a better grip. I reached up and smacked his hat off of his head. The next thing I knew, the car behind me was honking. I didn’t even remember that we were at a red light.

Alex put his hand in my hair and shook it around. I yelled for him to stop. “Not so fun is it?” He stuck his hand back in my hair.

“Will you stop? I’m trying to drive!” I said in-between smacking back at him.

“Well, I was trying to be devastatingly handsome, but you knocked my hat off and fucked up my hair!”

“You were wearing a hat!” I protested.

“That’s not the point!”

I shook my head at him for what feels like the millionth time. “We’re here. How do you get to the bus?”

“I don’t think they let cars back there, I’ll just get out here.” He started to take his seatbelt off. “You know, it would be really cool if you came and met the rest of the band.”

“’Meet the rest of the band’? Are they all like you? Because if so, I’ll have to pass.” I teased.

Alex smiled brightly, “Seriously, c’mon. It’ll be so much fun. Park the car.”

“I don’t know—“

“Just park the fucking car.” He grabbed the stick shift and moved it to the “P” position.

“We’re in the middle of the street, Alex!”

He laughed. “Who cares? Let’s go!”

“Fine! If you let me actually park, I’ll go!”

Alex smiled the smile of a child who just got his way.
♠ ♠ ♠
First brand new chapter everyone! :)
Next chapter will be Alex's point of view
warning: it will not always be alternating! I just do it as it fits the story.
I hope you're liking the story so far!

Subscribe, Recommend, Tell your friends!
I also enjoy hearing what people think is going to happen!
Comment on here or even my profile page to tell me what you think :)
xx