Status: Active, albeit slow updates until the New Year. Enjoy.

Children of a Lesser God

A Potential Lead

“Director.”
After several moments of long silence, SHIELD director Nick Fury turned his attention from the file he was reading to focus his one good eye on Agent Phil Coulson. The younger man was watching him silently, holding a thick manila folder so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. Nick closed the file he was reading before nodding in acknowledgement of his agent.

“This better be good, Agent Coulson,” he commented gruffly, causing Phil to toss the folder on the desk.
“I’m sure you’ll find it to be worth your time.”
Nick could hear the venom dripping from Phil’s voice but chose not to comment on it. Rather, he flipped open the folder the agent brought him; he gazed over a pseudo birth certificate from a genetic research facility, the results of various tests, police records from the city of Los Angeles, and various FBI flyers before returning his attention to Phil.

“So, our sources have finally located her.”
“Yes, Director. I’ve been told that she’s currently being held in a genetic research facility in the city of Johannesburg, South Africa.”
“South Africa?” Nick asked incredulously. “How in the hell did she get herself into that predicament?”
“In all due respect, sir. She’s a wonder of modern science. Scientists have probably been on her tail since she was kidnapped from the first facility.”

Nick took a second to massage his temples before putting the papers back in order and closing the file.
“The sooner we can get people in there to rescue her, the better,” he commented quietly. “This has waited long enough.”
“Director, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
“And, why exactly is that, Coulson?” Nick was starting to become irritated and he glared at Coulson; the agent’s face paled under the director’s glare, but he said nothing. After a few tense seconds, Nick continued.

“SHIELD’s plan all along was to train her so she could join up with the agency at one point. Let me remind you that she is one of the members of the Avengers Initiative. In fact, she would have been on the team last year provided we had located her whereabouts in time.”
“But, Director-“
“But, what? You know that if it were Captain Rogers locked up in a genetic research lab, you’d be the one leading in the team to rescue him. Even though I know you don’t believe so, she deserves better than to spend the rest of her life playing the role of lab rat for some sick scientists.”

After several seconds of silence, Coulson let loose a sigh of defeat before addressing the Director.
“Does she know about her connection to Captain Rogers?”
“She does not. While she repressed the most traumatic memories herself, Professor Xavier erased the rest when she arrived at his school,” Fury replied.
“Well then, what exactly do we tell him? After all, she was-”
“We tell them nothing, Coulson,” Nick interrupted sternly.
“We’re not going to tell them? Don’t you think they deserve to know?”
“They absolutely deserve to know, and they will be told. But, not until they’re both ready.”

Phil’s expression showed that he was surprised, but he nonetheless dropped the subject.
“Is there anything else you need, Director?”
“Tell Agent Romanoff and Agent Barton to report to me as soon as they have prepared themselves for a mission.”
“I will, Director,” Phil replied curtly, causing Nick to gaze at him sternly.
“This woman is an extremely talented individual and is someone that the Avengers sorely need, because it was only by the skin of their teeth and some dumb luck last year that they managed to defeat the Chitauri. With that being said, I’d prefer if you didn’t tell Romanoff and Barton about your little grudge against her.”
Phil scowled slightly, but he nodded his head. “Alright, sir.”

Nick watched his agent for a moment before replying. “Thank you, Coulson. I know you aren’t happy about this, but it’s for the best. More than anyone, Captain Rogers needs this. He desperately needs her, Coulson.”
Phil’s expression turned disgusted. “She is the last person that he needs, Director,” he scoffed.

Nick slammed the file shut and brought his attention back to the other man.
“I would have figured that you, of all people, would have noticed by now. Are you that damn blind, Coulson? Or, are you simply choosing to ignore it? It’s obvious to me that Captain Rogers is headed for a mental breakdown. Not only is his heart stuck in the past with Peggy Carter, he’s suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder. It’s not a matter of ‘if’ he breaks down; it’s a matter of ‘when’ he breaks down."

The Director let loose a heavy sigh before finishing.
“My fear is that when it does happen, he’ll become a danger to himself and others. And if that happens, I’ll have no choice other than to relieve him of all duties with SHIELD and place him in the care of specialists.”

“You mean you want to put Captain America in a psych ward,” Phil commented sourly.
“Trust me, having Rogers involuntarily committed is the last thing I want to do. But if we don’t find a way to reach him soon, it may be too late to save him.”
After a moment of stunned silence, Phil feebly motioned toward the file. “So, you’re telling me that you think she is the only person who can reach him.”
Nick smirked up at Phil. “I don’t think that she is, Coulson. I know that she is,” he paused to turn his attention back to her file, “because she needs him just as much as he needs her.”

Phil looked like he was about to argue with the Director, but he decided against it and turned to leave the room; he had set one foot into the hallway when Nick called him again.

“Coulson!”
Phil immediately stopped and gazed over his shoulder at Nick. “Yes, Director?”
Nick pushed his chair back and stood up, grabbing the file he was reading before the other male interrupted him.
“I think you need to take a look at this file. Maybe then you’ll realize how dire the situation becoming. They’re returned home and they’re searching for her as well, Coulson. If they manage to find her before we do, I have no doubt that he won’t hesitate to carry out his original plans for her. And, we need her on our side.”

He handed the file to Phil before turning to his desk; Phil gazed over various subterranean maps and notes written in the Ukrainian language silently, his eyes pausing on the notorious names “Pripyat” and “Chernobyl”. Nick’s voice suddenly pulled Phil from his thoughts, causing the male to turn his attention back to the Director.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to haggle with some pompous idiots to get permission to reinstate the Avengers Initiative.”
“Wait, Director. Are you saying that…? Right now?”
“I am indeed, Agent Coulson. It is time to start gathering up the Avengers.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't believe I have anything to say right now, other than to thank the people that enjoyed the original version of this story. You know who you are, and this rewrite is for you. Although, I do really do need to stop posting at 1 or 2 in the morning. What can I say? I'm more of a night owl. Ha! I believe that is all for right now, so look out for the second story some time within the next week or so. Hopefully sooner, but I'm not making any promises. Subscribe, comment, recommend, and most importantly, enjoy. Goodnight, everyone. xo