Fireflies

Chapter Three

Haley had just walked through the door of her house when her cell phone rang. With a glance at the screen she quickly hit the answer button. "Hey, Ryan."

"Hey. What's up?"

"Not much, I just got home."

"Do you wanna go catch a movie with me?"

Haley sighed. "I can't Brittany is coming over tonight. Are you that bored or are none of your other friends free?"

"Both. I spent the day on the lake with two of the guys but they left."

"Well you can come over here if you don't mind being around two girls and a stack of wedding invitations. I promise I won't make you help."

Ryan laughed. "You sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all. It's just gonna be Brittany anyway. Kelsey was supposed to help but she called and cancelled a few minutes ago. So you wanna come over around sixish?"

"Yup, I just need directions."

Haley gave Ryan the directions to her house while looking through the refrigerator. "Do you like KFC?" she asked, not seeing anything that could be made quickly.

"Yeah, why?"

"Because that's what we're having dinner. I'm too lazy to do anything else and I'm starving."

"Why is it every time we hang out there is food involved?"

"Two reasons. First of all, it's always the late evening or at night when we hang out. Second, I like food. I've gotta go, my mom just drove up and I need to talk to her. See ya around six?"

"See you then."

Haley shoved her cell phone into her pocket and headed into the living room. She had just sat down when Melissa walks through the door. "Hi sweetie."

"Hey, mom. You still going out with Keith tonight?"

"I'm supposed to, but if you need me for something it won't be a big deal for me to cancel."

"No, go have fun. I was just wondering. I'll be busy with the invitations anyway."

"Are Brittany and Kelsey still coming to help you?"

"Brittany is. Kelsey canceled this afternoon to go out with her new boyfriend. Ryan is going to come hang out too."

"Are you and Jesse fighting again?"

"No, not really."

"Well I really appreciate you helping so much with everything for the wedding."

"No problem, just as long as you dont pick a dress that drowns me in tulle."

"Melissa laughed. "I promise I won't do that to you. I'm gonna go ahead and get ready. You wanna order something for dinner?"

"I was actually going to go get some KFC."

"Put it on the Visa."

"You sure? I can get it."'

"You're spending your evening putting together invitations for me, I'll pay for dinner. Stop and get you guys something for dessert."

"Thanks mom."

"I love you and I'll see you tomorrow if I don't get back home in time tonight."

"Love you too, Mom. Have fun tonight."

***

"How long have you been here?" Haley asked as she opened the door to her house after returning from getting dinner. Brittany had been sitting on the porch swing in front of the house when Haley drove up.

"Not very long. Maybe ten minutes. What all did you get?" Brittany followed Haley into the kitchen.

"Chicken, gravy, potato wedges, mashed potatoes, Cole slaw, and biscuits. And cheesecake for dessert."

"So Kelsey cancelled on you?"

"Yeah but it's not a surprise. It's like this everytime she gets a boyfriend. Ryan is coming over tonight though."

"The guy you met at the movies?"

"Why does everyone keep referring to him as that?"

"Because we haven't met him!"

"Well you will in a few minutes. Did you put the cheesecake in the fridge already?" Haley began spreading the different containers out on the island in the kitchen.

"Yeah. Do I hear a car?"

Haley paused, listening for a moment. When she heard a car door shut, she headed for the living room. She made it to the door just as the doorbell sounded. "Good timing, I just got back with the food."

"Awesome! I'm guessing that trail blazer is your friends?"

"Yeah, my mom already left."

"Hurry up! I'm hungry!" Brittany's voice drifted from the kitchen.

"I we should go eat huh?" Haley laughed.

"I guess so."

When Ryan and Haley entered the kitchen, Brittany was already grabbing plates out of the cabinet. “I’m glad you two decided to get in here before I starve.”

“Drama queen. Ryan this is Brittany. Brittany this is Ryan.”

Brittany looked up and flashed Ryan a smile that Haley knew well. “Hi, its good to finally meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too.” Ryan responded, taking the plate that Brittany was handing him.

Haley walked by and gave Brittany a gently kick in the shin, signaling her to not start flirting. The two had been friends since middle school and Haley knew Brittany well enough to know where this was heading. Brittany was a flirt by nature and, although she rarely pursued more than just flirting, Haley wasn’t in the mood to watch it.

Brittany shot her a quick glare and Haley knew she’d be cornered later over it. “So how are we going to attack the invitations?” Brittany asked.

“I don’t know yet. I’m thinking splitting up the work on each one might work.” Haley was the first one to sit down at the table, doing so with a sigh.

“Ryan, you’re keeping us company right?” Brittany smiled, her tone obvious.

“Stop with the flirting, flirty-mcflirters!” Haley said, throwing her hands in the air.

Ryan laughed, sitting down next to Haley. “Good one.”

“Thanks.” Haley smiled.

“Did you just call me flirty-mcflirters? I’m sorry, I didn’t realize we were in kindergarten.”

“What do you expect? Put a guy within five feet of you and you’ve got to flirt! You get it out of your system yet?”

“As a matter of fact, yes I did.”

“Good, now we can move on.”

***

“Leave it to my mom to pick the invitations that require assembly!”

“Well do you want to switch for a while? I’ll glue the pockets and you can put the cards inside them?” Brittany asked.

“And get a hundred paper cuts? No thank you.”

“Alright, I feel useless over here,” Ryan cut in. “Do you want me to put stamps on them or something?”

“If you want to,” Haley said, tossing the roll of stamps to Ryan. “There is an envelope moistener in that desk drawer if you want to grab it. We’ll put them together and stuff them in the enevelope and then you seal and add the stamp. That work for you?”

“Yup.”

“You don’t have to help though, I didn’t expect you to come over so I could drag you into this.”

“I know you didn’t. Just don’t tell anyone.”

Haley laughed, “My lips are sealed.”

“So are mine.” Brittany looked from Ryan to Haley. “You didn’t tell me there was something to stop me from having to lick some envelopes when we were going to split that part!”

“I wanted you to sweat it out for a while.”

"So Ryan, are you going to college?" Brittany asked, changing the subject.

Haley looked over at Ryan. "I told her nothing."

Ryan chuckled. "Nope. I drive in NASCAR actually."

"Really? Wow. What car do you drive?"

Haley whipped her head around. "You hate sports! You don't even know how football works!"

"That doesn't mean I'm not interested!"

"I'm actually jumping around rides right now."

"That's pretty cool that you already racing though."

"That's it, I'm going to get cheesecake now. You guys want some?"

"Does the sun rise in the east?" Brittany looked at Haley with one eyebrow raised.

"That sounds great," Ryan said, standing up.

Once Haley and Ryan were in the kitchen, he turned to her. "Is your friend trying to flirt with me again?"

"Probably. She is a hopeless flirt. I've seen her flirt with her brothers friends just for the hell of it. She won't act on it if that's what you're wondering."

"Well I don't want to seem like an ass but I'm not really interested in her."

"No I get it. I was hoping she wouldn't be that bad but I guess not."

"I've been in more awkward situations than this before."

"I bet you have. Thanks for helping us."

“No problem. I felt a little weird just sitting there anyway.”

Haley laughed but heard the door open before she got the chance to say anything else. “Mom must be home early,” She said glancing at the clock. After putting the cheesecake up, she handed Ryan one of the plates and grabbed the other two. As soon as they walked into the living room she was surprised to see Carla sitting on the couch beside Brittany. “Hey Carla.”

“Hi honey. I just wanted to stop by and check in.” Carla turned her attention to Ryan. “You must be Ryan.”

“Yup. Ryan this is my step-mom.”

“Its nice to meet you, Mrs. Larson.”

“Please call me Carla. Mrs. Larson always makes me think of my mother-in-law.”

Brittany piped up then, starting a conversation with Carla. Ryan leaned over, whispering, “Do all of your friends get along this well with your family.”

“Yup. You should see Kelsey with my mom. They have breakfast without me when Kelsey stays over.”

Ryan chuckled. “At least you get to sleep. Is it because they don’t want to wait or you don’t want to get up?”

“Shut up! You’re supposed to be on my side. You don’t even know Kelsey.”

Haley and Ryan continued their conversation while Brittany animatedly told Carla about what was new in her life. Carla stayed for close to half an hour and by the time she left, with some help from her, all of the invitations were finished. Brittany left shortly after Carla, leaving Ryan and Haley alone.

They were watching television when her phone went off. She grabbed it off the table and looked at the screen. She read the text message but didn’t bother replying. It was only a few minutes before it went off again.

“Boyfriend?” Ryan asked, trying to sound as if he didn’t care.

“Yeah.” She typed in her reply and hit send. “He wants to go out Friday.”

“Ah. He doesn’t even call you?”

“We’re more of a texting couple at night.” She put her phone back on the end table and looked over at Ryan. “So I’m curious about something you said earlier.”

“Okay.”

“You said you weren’t interested in Brittany. I’m just wondering is it because of her or are you interested in someone else. You never really answered why you don’t have a girlfriend when I asked.”

Ryan looked towards the television, trying to avoid Haley’s gaze. “Truthfully, I’m interested in someone else. I just don’t think its going to happen.”

Haley went silent for a minute. She wanted an answer but she didn’t want to seem narcissistic if she was wrong. “Any chance you’ll tell me who it is?”

“Do you really want to know?”

With a sigh, Haley moved around. Now facing him, she pulled her legs onto the couch and rested her chin on her knees. “I don’t know. I’m in a tough position here.”

Ryan laughed. “I think maybe its best if I don’t say it out loud. I’m pretty sure you already know what the answer is.”

“It can’t happen. I have a boyfriend. Its like I told you when you tried to ask me out. I just didn’t think you were really interested.”

“And if you didn’t? Could it happen then?”

“I don’t know. I have fun with you. I’ve only known you a few weeks but I like having you as a friend. Usually it doesn’t end well when I date someone. I can’t be friends with someone I’ve dated.”

“Maybe its because you’re picking the wrong guys.”

“Maybe. I’m sorry. If you don’t want anything to do with me I’d understand.”

“I have fun with you. Besides I’m not giving up hope completely. Maybe at some point you’ll change your mind and give me a shot.”

“And if I don’t?”

“Then you don’t.” He looked over so that he was looking her in the eyes. “And just for future reference, if a guy tries to or does ask you out it means he is interested.”

“Noted.”

“I better go. You have work tomorrow right?”

“Yup.”

“I’ll see you soon?” Ryan’s tone told Haley it was a question instead of a statement.

“Yeah, definitely. Thanks for hanging out and helping tonight.”

“Well if you ever need someone to put stamps on envelopes, I’m your guy.” Ryan flashed Haley a smile and she couldn’t help but laugh.