‹ Prequel: Can't Handle This
Sequel: Can't Keep Suffering
Status: This installment is finished. Stay tuned for the next part!

Can't See the Truth

Chapter 14

The next two weeks were filled with tests, nightmares, and excellent food, along with preparations for Christmas. By the second Saturday, the Tower was filled to the brim with lights, tinsel, and tiny Santa Clauses. For Toni, it wasn’t enough to keep out the terrible flashbacks. It wasn’t long until Schaefer started suggesting that she start seeing a psychologist, but Patty argued that it would be more painful for her to relive those memories than it would be to have flashbacks every now and again.

In addition to her nightmares, Toni was also noticing that Loki was spending more time than usual with the other team members.

Before any of them knew it, it was Christmas Eve. Pamplemousse ended up getting so excited that she accidently knocked over three glasses of punch, tripped over her own two feet at least six times, and developed a twitch in her leg.

“You guys!” she said excitedly for about the third time. “Santa’s coming tonight!”

Bruce was trying so hard not to smile. He too had been meeting in secret with the Avengers, but he had been discussing Pamplemousse’s big Christmas present.

“Sir,” JARVIS chimed. “There is a package at the front door. I’ve already scanned the contents for questionable material.”

Steve joined the others in the living room with the package in his arms. “It’s heavy, even for me. It must’ve taken a team to deliver this puppy.”

”Puppy?!” Pamplemousse shouted.

Steve chuckled warmly as he set down the box. “No, sweetie, that’s just a figure of speech.”

The super soldier ripped open the box and his face morphed to one of confusion.

“What’s wrong?” Brooke asked.

“Box-ception,” he replied quietly.

“What?” Brooke questioned as she rushed over to the open package. Her face fell as she cocked her head to the side. “Well,” she started. “Box-ception.”

Together, Brooke and Steve managed to push the large box over, letting more boxes spill out like a waterfall. Each one was wrapped with a name written on it with beautiful, unfamiliar handwriting.

“They’re...presents?” Clint said tentatively.

“Can we open them?” Pamplemousse asked as she eyed up her gift.

Tony shrugged. “I don’t see why not,” he said. “Go ahead!”

The young girl practically threw herself at the box and tore it open excitedly. A few seconds later, Pamplemousse screamed, causing the whole room to freeze in absolute horror with the exception of Clint who looked just about ready to spring into action.

“It’s a big TARDIS with One Direction dolls inside! I love it!”

Brooke quickly scooped up her box and tore it open, eager to see what was inside. “New gauges, lip rings, and a Zeppelin shirt! Oh, and a Supernatural coffee mug!”

Soon, everyone was opening up the presents from the mystery sender. Schaefer got three new ties, fishing gear, and a twelve pack of bottled Guinness. Clint got a new MP3 player and specialty arrows.

“Hey Schaef!” Clint said as he lifted up the last part of his present. “I guess we’re going drinking! Twelve pack of New Castle, baby!”

Steve found a whole bunch of memorabilia from the forties, Thor received a large box of PopTarts and a cape sewn with blessings from the word of the Allfather, Loki was given three seasons of Supernatural to feed his newly found addiction along with a book of spells, and Bruce got written permission from various Smithsonians to visit their archives and do deep studies.

“And I got a gift card to JC Penney. I assume that its for more clothes after I Hulk out.”

“And you, Hetalia?” Tony asked as he fiddled with the bow on his.

“New leather boots, a leather jacket and-” she froze and stared at the two pieces of paper in her hands. “-and a plane ticket to Russia with a note saying ”So you can see your family again.” I don’t know what to say...”

“Huh,” Tony said as he examined the contents of his box. “I got the same thing as Bruce except...” he drifted off as he pulled out an envelope that looked just about ready to burst. “...and a load of cash. JARVIS?”

“Starting a scan, sir."

Everyone waited in silence until JARVIS chimed again. “Sir, the final count indicates that the amount of money in that envelope is one million dollars. That replaces all the money that was stolen from you four months ago.”

“Are their any fingerprints on the cash?”

“Unfortunately, no. The money is clean.”

Tony stared at the bills in his hand, jaw open ever so slightly. “This...this is crazy. Someone replenished my stock.”

One by one, everyone else started to admire the contents of their own boxes before Patty cleared her throat loudly. “So um,” she said hesitantly. “Where’s...do I...is there one for me?”

Everyone looked around for the missing gift until Hetalia gave a subtle huff. “Well there doesn’t seem to be one here.”

"Oh," Patty said quietly. "Well, what does that mean?"

Brooke shrugged. "Whoever sent the packages must not have known you were here."

Pamplemousse froze and dropped her gifts. "You don't think it was-"

"Who?"

The young girl shook her head. "Never mind. It probably wasn't her."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long!! This chapter was kicking my ASS!!