‹ Prequel: Can't Handle This
Sequel: Can't Keep Suffering
Status: This installment is finished. Stay tuned for the next part!

Can't See the Truth

Chapter 17

One Month Later

"Psst! Patty!" Toni exclaimed in a hushed whisper. "Patty!"

The teen spun around to see her friend hunkered over in the shadows of her corner.

"Toni? What are you doing? Hetalia, Pamplemousse, and I are going to help Brooke pick out her dress. Do you want to join us?"

Toni sighed, remembering Schaefer's poorly timed proposal to her best friend while she still hadn't answered Loki's. "No thank you. I actually need some help," she managed. "Please?"

Patty looked around before approaching her friend and sitting down on the floor next to her. "What's wrong, hun?"

Toni tilted her hands and acted as though she was physically sifting through a file cabinet. "Loki," she said a little too simply. "I don't know how to respond to his proposal."

"Ah, I see. Well, have you talked to him about it yet? Like, at all?"

"Unfortunately, no," she replied. "I wouldn't even know how to get him alone."

"Ha!" Patty said with a dark chuckle, booping her friend's nose lightly. "Leave that to me!"

With that, Patty jumped up and ran up to Pamplemousse, who almost flawlessly jumped on the teen's back.

****

Later that night, Tony and Steve went out to dinner and a show, Bruce had escorted the ladies to the mall and put to dinner, Thor (under the close supervision by Schaefer) was out visiting Jane, and Clint was at SHIELD HQ with Roman, gathering more parts. So for the night, I was just Loki and Toni.

Toni was eating a slice of leftover cheesecake from Patty's birthday party when Loki walked into the dining room and sat at the head of the table. "Darling," he started.

Toni jumped, nearly dropping the piece of culinary heaven on a plate. "Jesus, Loki! You scared the shit out of me!"

"Have you been avoiding me?" He continued.

Toni felt her heart sink and her breath catch. "I don't have an answer to your proposal yet."

The god stood. "Come with me," he said quietly as he gestured towards the living room.

Toni followed Loki into the room where he sat on one of the many couches. She sat across from him and looked out at the beautiful nighttime sky.

"I don't know how you're feeling," he muttered in admittance. "But I would like to help. And if that means leaving you alone for a whole, then so be it."

Toni gave a small smile to Loki, who returned it wholeheartedly.