‹ Prequel: Can't Handle This
Sequel: Can't Keep Suffering
Status: This installment is finished. Stay tuned for the next part!

Can't See the Truth

Chapter 25

Three Months Later

“Pamplemousse, I don’t understand how you managed to lose your flowers,” Hetalia half-heartedly scolded. “They’re important.”

“I’m sorry, Auntie ‘Talia,” she said as she smoothed out her frilly white dress. “I’m just so excited, that’s all.”

“I found them!” Clint exclaimed, rushing into the room in his tux, minus the jacket. He kneeled down carefully and handed the bouquet to the ten-year-old. “Here ya go, sweetie.”

“Thank you, Clint,” Pamplemousse said sweetly, giving him a peck on the cheek.

Clint patted her head and rushed back to where all the other men were standing.

Steve adjusted his bowtie and cleared his throat nervously.

“Here,” Bruce said as he came up behind the captain. “Let me help.”

Steve turned around with a shaky sigh. “Can you believe it?” he asked his friend. “I was worried this day wouldn’t come.”

“Well, I think Tony thought the same,” Bruce admitted. “I mean, let’s face it, a lot has happened in the past year.”

Steve gave a nod. “You can say that again.”

Then, Thor walked into the room, adjusting his own bowtie. “Has anyone seen my brother?”

Clint pointed to the door connecting the room to the next one over.

Thor walked into the room and saw Loki wearing the same black tux as all the other men and the same peachy-white rose boutonniere. The god of mischief was wringing his hands in what seemed to be a nervous fashion.

“My brother, why the weary face? Is this not a day to celebrate?”

Loki turned to face his brother. “I fear for how this will end,” he admitted. “I am afraid she will change her mind.”

Thor gave a strong nod, followed by an equally strong clap the the shoulder. “Antoinette is not one to let her mind stray so far as to change her feelings for you.”

Just then, Schaefer popped his head in the doorway. “Thor, Hetalia iz looking for you.”

The god of thunder quickly followed the agent after giving his brother one last reassuring glance. The two men entered the bride’s room, where Hetalia was adjusting the bottom of Toni’s wedding dress.

“Ve are here to help, frauline.”

“Da,” she said. “Thor, can you help Pamplemousse? She needs some reassurance.”

“Of course,” Thor said with a smile. “It would be an honor to help the young grapefruit.”

“Schaefer,” Hetalia continued. “I need your help with Toni.”

“Ja, okay,” he said quickly, kneeling down to Hetalia’s level.

“Thank you so much,” Toni said, trying to hold back happy tears. “You guys mean so much to me.”

“It’s not a big deal,” Hetalia said, smiling up at her sister of sort. “I would’ve done so much more if you would’ve asked.”

“Und me, as vell,” Schaefer added. “Zis iz your day, und you deserve it.”

A soft knock at the door alerted all three. Standing there was the pianist, smiling brightly. “It’s time,” she said happily.

Toni gave a shaky sigh, smile widening. “This is it,” she said nervously with a chuckle.

Tony and Steve walked in, looking stunning in their tuxes. “Ready?” Tony asked.

His daughter nodded. “Ready as I’ll ever be,” she admitted.

Tony took one arm while Steve took the other and prepared to walk down the aisle.

Pepper and Clint were the first ones to come down the aisle, arms linked. Following behind were CHERI and Schaefer along with Hetalia and Thor as the maid of honor and the best man.

Pamplemousse came in after, dropping the same peachy-white rose petals as the bouquets and boutonnieres.

Tony took one last look at his husband and his daughter. “You guys ready to get this show on the road?”

Both of them nodded, beaming ear to ear.

With one last breath, the three of them walked through the doors and began their journey down the aisle.

Toni had never seen Loki look so perfect before. The tux fit him perfectly, but by far the best part of his look was the smile he had on his face. Toni had never before seen him look so happy in all the time she’s known him.

Finally, she was near him. She turned to Steve first, who planted a kiss on her cheek and rubbed her lace covered shoulder. She then turned to her other father who smiled at her and repeated Steve’s gesture and then placing Toni’s hand in Loki’s.

Loki helped Toni up the one step to the alter. The two of them stood, face to face, as the crowd watched in awe.

The two of them exchanged vows and rings, promising to love each other until the end of time. When it came time, Loki kissed her softly, putting all his love behind the sealing kiss.

The ceremony was full of love and tenderness whereas the reception was full of blazing energy and excitement. Everyone was dancing and having a grand time.

When the bouquet was tossed, Jane caught it and didn’t hesitate to celebrate loudly and gleefully.

Pamplemousse was having the most fun out of everyone there. She danced with everybody, ate more cake than Bruce would’ve liked, and played all the games the DJ had planned. By midnight, though, she was so tired that she fell asleep before Bruce had even managed to step through the threshold of door leading out of the venue.

“She had so much fun,” Clint said, helping Bruce with the car door.

Bruce chuckled quietly. “Yeah, she did. And I’m glad she did.”

“When are we gonna tell her?” Clint asked, sharing a quick concerned glance with his lover.

Bruce closed the door and gave a sigh. “I’m not sure,” he admitted. “I don’t know if she’s ready yet.”

“Yeah, but Bruce,” Clint added quickly. “She keeps having those nightmares. When are we going to tell her that they’re real?”

Bruce hung his head. He felt terrible every time his daughter wandered into his and Clint’s room with tears streaming down her face, scared beyond belief. Every time she talked about CJ killing her family, he was reminded of the day Schaefer told him about her real past.

“I don’t know, Clint,” Bruce repeated. After a moment he finally lifted his head and looked back at Clint. “Soon.”

Tony and Steve were in their room together, peeling off their tuxes one piece at a time. The two of them, despite how elated they were, were exhausted.

But something played at the back of Tony’s mind.

“What wrong, Tony?” Steve asked him.

“I can’t help but shake what CHERI said to me a couple months back,” he admitted. All the stuff CHERI had told him about the illness and the cure had long been forgotten for quite awhile. It almost seemed like a dream that had only resurfaced after Loki and Toni explained the stupidity of the marriage license. Apparently, the Asgardian tradition of giving one’s son the father’s name was not recognized. In the event of having a child, it would have the name Odinson, like his father before him.

“What did she say?”

“She said something about a guy who had a premonition of a man who would conquer the world.”

Steve scoffed and looked at Tony with a single eyebrow cocked. “What? What does that mean?”

“Apparently,” Tony continued without looking at his husband. “The guy had the same illness as Hetalia and Toni. The cure made him have…’visions’ of some king of the world type of dude.”

“Okay…?” Steve said, turning his reply into a question. “So why is that coming to your head now? Are you afraid Loki’s gonna try something?”

“No, no,” Tony said quickly. “No, she said that the guy was calling the god-king...Jensen.”

Steve looked even more flabberghasted. But before he could inquire any further, Tony continued.

“His name is Jensen Odinson, Steve. Just like Loki and my daughter.”

****

CJ was sitting in a little cafe, sipping a pumpkin spice latte, half in contemplation and half in celebration. Her former best friend just got married. Everyone was happy. But she was too busy with something else.

“Please,” the young lady across from her said. “I want to learn from you.”

CJ finished her sip and gave a contented sigh. “I like your style,” she said, still looking at her decorative mug. “And I know you have the potential.” She set down her mug and looked the blonde-haired, glasses clad teen in the face. “I’d love to take you under my wings, but I need to know you’re committed.”

Rien leaned forward, placing her elbows on the table. “Believe me,” she started. “I want the Avengers gone just as much as you, and I’ll do anything to help you get rid of them.”

A twisted smile crept up on CJ’s face. “Well then, my apprentice,” she cooed. “When do we start?”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is last chapter! I'm sorry it came so suddenly, but I'm going to start working on Pamplemousse's story in just a little while. It's that link up top that says "Can't Keep Suffering." It's going to focus on Pamplemousse growing up with the knowledge of what her past was. It's going to be...well, I'm hoping it'll work out great lol.

Anyway, thanks for everyone that took interest in this one! I appreciate every single one of you guys!