Love is Nothing

Meeting

"Hello?"

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh. My. God. I stared up at the boy who answered the door. I've seen hot boys, trust me, they're usually the ones that want to bang me. But...but this boy...he seemed different. He wasn't wearing a shirt, and his hair was carelessly side-swept
"I-i..." I stammered, like a total idiot. "I just wanted to say hi...Are you new here?" Dumb question...He looked down.
"Yeah..." His voice was quiet. "My name is Dustin. I'd invite you in, but my mom's not home, so I guess you can go home now." The thought of going back to that house suddenly scared me more than it should have.
"No!" I almost screamed. He looked up, startled. His eyes were such a pure blue, they seemed unreal. I blushed deeply and continued quietly. "I-i mean...I'd love to come in. I-if I can..." He stepped aside and held the door open for me. He stared at the floor as I walked in and whispered. "T-thank you."
He nodded and closed it behind him. "I, er, never got your name." He looked up at me.
"Oh! I'm s-sorry. My name is Jessica. P-please call me Jess. If-if that's okay with you." I flinched and looked at the floor. I was so used to someone beating me if I accidentally ordered them around, or forgot to respond. I was surprised I didn't feel anything. I glanced up and regretted it. He was staring at me.
"W-why are you sorry? And I think, um, I think that's a cute name. Are you okay?" He reached out to touch my cheek, and I flinched away again. He dropped his hand and stepped to me instead. Oh my god. He was so tall. I blushed deeper and took a step away...into a wall. Great. He bent and looked at me.
He spoke softer than normal, his tone was one people used with frightened animals. "Hey, I'm not going to hurt you, okay? Calm down..." My eyes were wide. I fought the urge to kiss him. He'd never want a whore like me kissing him.
"I...I..." I couldn't speak. I just stared into his gorgeous blue eyes. He got a strange look in his eyes and abruptly stepped away. My heart dropped. Wait, what? How did this boy make me feel anything? I looked down, and felt like crying again.
"I'm sorry." I heard him whisper. "I-i think you should leave now." I felt another pang. Yeah, I needed to leave. If I didn't I'd start crying again. I bolted for the door and slammed it behind me. I was trembling. But I had to calm down before I went home or it'd be suspicious. I took long deep breaths, getting my emotions under control. I walked to the door and walked inside, for the first time, not even caring what my daddy was going to do.
* * * *

Dustin's POV
Fuck. She hates me now.
I wanted to kiss her so bad. I couldn't help it, she reminded me so much of...her. But I just met her, and she seemed so frightened.
Her reaction when I first suggested she go home had been one of pure fear, but then after I'd accidentally backed her against the wall, she'd fled the instant she was free.
I wonder if she's bullied. She flinched when I tried to touch her and her hand was sloppily bandaged up.
Damn it! I should go over and apologize. That's what I'll do. I glanced down. I'm an idiot. I forgot to put a shirt on. She must have thought I was going to do something to her. I threw on an old Evanescence t-shirt and ran to her house.

I stopped at the door. I heard yelling and screaming inside. It sounded like she was crying. I knocked once, and everything went quiet. A burly man, wearing a robe tied around his waist answered the door. He looked pissed off.
"What do you want?"
"I-is Jessie here?" He snorted and jerked his head toward the back room.
"Jessica!" He yelled. A girl appeared at the door. Her eyes were wide and dark, and very, very scared. She'd changed into a tight corset and tight leather pants. There was a bruise across one cheek.
"Yes, daddy?" She said. Her voice was high, guarded. She saw me, and looked like she wanted to cry. "Oh. Hello Dustin. Can I help you?" She walked over and leaned against the door. I just stared at her. So many questions ran through my head. Finally I managed
"C-can I talk to you?" I glanced at her father. "P-please?" He waved a hand, and Jessica nodded.
"Of course." She said, in that same guarded tone. She stepped outside and closed the door. After a glance at the windows, she murmured. "Please, pretend like it was your idea, but walk that way." Her eyes flicked toward a park up the street, well out of sight of the house.
"Um...o-okay." I took her hand, the one not in a splint, ignoring the tingles that ran through my arm, and started walking that way. We reached the park in no time, Jessica remained dead silent.
When we got there, she dropped my hand and ran. Damn, that girl was fast. I darted after her, thoroughly confused. She seemed to know where she was going though, and stumbled to a stop at a pretty lake. She collapsed on the grass, close to the water, and started sobbing. I stood there frozen, completely taken off guard. After a moment, I unfroze and knelt next to her.
"Shhhh....calm down, Jessica." I stroked her hair, but she flinched away from me. I hugged her, ignoring as she shied away from my touch again. She started crying into my chest, whimpering softly. "Jessica...calm down, sweetheart. What's wrong?" She jerked her head up at my words.
"W-what did you call me?" Oops. It just slipped out. It was what I called her. But couldn't explain that. Now it looked even more like I wanted something from her.
"I-i...I'm sorry. I just...I'm sorry." I gave up and fell silent, releasing her and looking at the ground awkwardly.
"Please don't." She murmured again. "Look at me, please." I looked up, she was blushing, but watching me with weird expression. "What do you want from me?" I froze. Fuck. She did think I was going to do something. But then I met her eyes. She looked confused and frightened again. She bit her lip, but watched me.
"W-what? I-i...Nothing! I just wanted to talk...and...and you were so upset when you left...and..." I trailed off again, looking at her desperately.
"Why did you want to talk to me?" Her voice was quiet, and her face was so confused. She hugged herself, wincing slightly and looked at the ground, thinking.
"I-i wanted to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you upset. I promise I wasn't going to try anything - " Her head snapped up and she stared at me, wide eyed. I continued hurriedly. "I-i was just stupid. I didn't realize what I was doing. I'm so sorry. Please don't be mad at me." I finished breathlessly. She looked shocked. I closed my eyes and blushed. God, I'm so awkward. I felt slender arms wrap around my shoulders and opened my eyes. She'd buried her face in my neck and was holding onto me tightly.
"I forgive you." She pulled away and looked at me. Her eyes were bright, hopeful. "You really aren't going to...to make me do anything for you? You aren't going to hurt me?" Her voice was small, like she didn't want to be hopeful, but desperately needed my answer. I shook my head.
"I'd never hurt you, Jess. I - " I stopped myself from finishing that sentence. I didn't want to say I loved her. I didn't know if I was ready to love again. She looked skeptical.
"Everyone hurts me."
"Not me. I swear." She hesitated, then smiled. It was a real smile, not a fake one, that went with her guarded tone at her father's house. I couldn't breathe. She was so goddamn beautiful. I didn't understand how anyone could bear to hurt her. I touched her cheek, happily surprised when she didn't pull away. She did back up slightly when I leaned forward. She ended up flat on her back, her expression surprised, but her eyes full of longing. I wanted to kiss her so badly. I almost did, but stopped myself. No, no, no! This was wrong. This wasn't fair to either of them.
Without thinking about my actions, I pulled away and bolted, a lot like she had done. I heard her start to cry, but couldn't bring myself to look back.
I am so sorry, Jessica. I thought, as I sought refuge in my desolate house again.