Status: Slowly active

It's Not Over Tonight

Chapter Two

Its been six days since Adam came by and he has yet to call or contact me in any way. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. Today marks week twenty of the pregnancy; finally halfway. I glance at the small black cell phone sitting on the nightstand next to me and groan, pulling the blankets over my head for the third time of the morning. Callie stretches and begins licking my hand, letting me know she’s finally awake and ready to start the day. “Fine I’ll get up,” I mumble while untangling myself from the mess of blankets on my bed. Callie runs over to the sliding glass door and waits patiently for me to open it for her to explore the fenced in backyard.

After taking care of Callie and grabbing a quick breakfast I head back into the bedroom to get dressed. After slipping into a comfortable pair of maternity jeans and sweater I glance back at my phone and see that I have both a missed call and text message waiting for me. The missed call is from Christina, my best friend, and the text is from Adam. I habitually begin to chew on my lower lip as my fingers slowly press the buttons needed to view the message.

Coffee. Pick you up at nine.

I read the message and check the time, Adam was due to arrive in about five minutes. I press a few more buttons and send Christina a text explaining the situation and telling her I’d call her afterwards. I peek out the window and see Adam pulling up in his Mercedes S550. I watch as he gets out of the car and heads towards the house.

“Who’s here Callie?” The dog’s ear perk up as she heads to the door, reaching it just as Adam begins to knock. “It’s open.” Adam steps inside and is once again mauled by the happy dog. “I’m all set to go, just need to put my boots on.” Adam chuckles softly, making me stop and stare at him.

“You and those damn boots,” he says, “what are you gonna do when you can’t reach to tie them anymore?”

“Probably wear slippers until I can. Or have someone put them on for me.” I finish tying the laces and we head out the door, after saying goodbye to Callie of course. Adam opens the passenger side door for me and then gets in the driver’s seat.

Adam drives us to a small café we used to frequent and we seat ourselves in our usual spot in the corner. The waitress, Paula, comes over and takes our order and then leaves Adam and I to ourselves.

“So how have you been?”

“Besides the weight gain, excessive mood swings, random people touching me, fatigue, and raging hormones? Pretty peachy.”

“Sorry, stupid question,” Adam laughs softly, “What I meant to ask is how everything is going with the uh, the baby.”

“Oh, everything’s been good, no complaints from the doctor since I finally cut caffeine out,” I sip the decaf coffee in front of me and smile.

“Must be one hell of a doctor to get you to quit caffeine,” Adam laughs.

“Well I’ve got to tell you my answer, but I need to have some coffee and breakfast first. Even us cocky rockstars get the jitters.”

After a little while Paula sets the plates of food down in front of us. “So tell me about this meal of yours.” I glance down at the array of food in front of me and blush.

“It all sounded good so I got a little of everything, there‘s bacon, some stuffed French toast, ham, toast and gravy, some fruit, and a chocolate chip pancake. These cravings are something else.” We eat our meals and make idle chit chat to pass the time.

“How do you want this to work out?” Adam asks, catching me slightly off guard.

“Honestly I don’t know. You’re not the only one who had six days to think about their shit, there’s pros and cons to every angle you try to take.I think I need to hear what your thoughts are, this isn’t all about me.”

“No, it is all about you. You have another life inside you; my baby, my responsibility. Whether or not you want me around is up to you, either way I will support your decision. Whatever roll you need me for I’m there.”

“How about we just take things day by day and see what happens? I have an appointment this afternoon….you could come if you’d like.”

“I think I would like that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit