‹ Prequel: Black Damask
Status: Completed

Synthetic Love

Chapter 1

Somehow my boyfriend had managed to convince me to come go on tour with him and his band. The only catch? I had to work as their merch girl. I guess that wasn’t as bad as having to share a bus with a group of guys for three months straight.

Currently, I was trailing along after the band as they went around introducing themselves to the other bands. For some reason, most likely because Brodon had accidentally deleted the email about joining tour before reading anything more than the dates and where to be, we didn’t know who was headlining. I really did love this guy, but sometimes just I wanted to strangle him. So here we were, wandering around introducing ourselves to the people we’d be surrounded by for the next few months. I felt like a little puppy following its owner around, waiting for attention. Not the best feeling, now that I think of it.

“Bel, are you coming?” Brodon asked, jerking me out of my thoughts. “Apparently we’re going to meet the headlining band later. For now, they’ve provided food for us.” I nodded and resumed following my boyfriend. Until he saw the pizza table. I however, was drawn to the funnel cakes. I couldn’t believe they had them here. Fuck real food, this was my supper. I told the guy what I wanted before stepping to the side to wait.

“Are you with one of the bands?” someone asked, walking up to me. I knew that voice. There was no way I’d ever forget it. I couldn’t.

“I’m one of the merch people,” I said, forcing myself to look him in the eye. Damn, he looked even better than I remembered. “Call me Bel.”

He stared at me for a moment before shaking his head. “Sorry, you look like someone I used to know,” he said, somewhat sadly. “I’m Devin.”

“I thought my look was pretty unique. Guess it’s time to switch it up a little,” I said. There was no way he could recognize me. I’d changed a lot in the two and a half years. I’d gotten colored contact lenses and highlights in my hair, new piercings, and a few tattoos. Not to mention changing my name as well. I’d never like going by Annabel, my legal name, and Anna was out, so I introduced myself to everyone as Bel.

“No, it’s a good look for you,” Devin said. “I’ve gotta run for now, but I’ll see you around some other time.” I watched him walk off before picking up my food.

I didn’t see Brodon anywhere, so I sat on the concrete fence to eat alone. He couldn’t have meant I looked like me, could he? I told him to forget about Anna. Maybe it was just a passing memory. There was no way he hadn’t moved on by now.

“Any particular reason why some one such as yourself is sitting alone?” What was it with people interrupting my thought process tonight? And why did I recognize this voice too? “I mean, you’re on this tour, so you’re either part of a band or you’re their merch girl, which means you’ve gotta at least be friends with one of the bands.” I looked up too see Balz.

“I’m not sure where they disappeared to, and it’s easier to eat and watch for them from over here where I can see every one instead of trying to wander through the people,” I said. Speaking of which, I really should keep an eye out for Brodon so he wouldn’t freak out, thinking I was kidnapped or something.

“Makes sense,” he said, looking me over. “By the way, I’m Josh Balz. I’m with Motionless in White, the headlining band.”

“I’ve heard your music. I’d say it’s in my top ten or so.” I spotted Brodon, back at the pizza table. I should go stop him before he eats too much and spends all night complaining. Or I could listen to music all night and let his bandmates listen to him.

I saw Balz grin out of the corner of my eye. “Is that so? Maybe I can take you outon a date one night and convince you we’re number one.” Yup, I think I’ll go with my first option.

“Sorry, but you’d have to talk to my boyfriend about that,” I said, standing up. “I’m on my way over to see him now? You can come along and ask him if you want,” I offered with an innocent smile.

“No, no that’s ok,” he stammered out. “I didn’t realize you were taken. I’ll see you around then.”

I waved before walking back towards where I’d last seen Brodon. Motionless in White was headlining? That meant they’d be here for the entire tour. Three months of being tortured by having Devin right here in front of me again but not allowing myself to do anything about it. I was happy with Brodon, but there was just something about Devin that I couldn’t let go of.

On the way, I saw none other than Devin standing there, watching me. Had he been watching Balz and I? I couldn’t let myself worry. All Dev saw was the chick he’d met earlier who’d introduced herself as Bel shoot down Balz’s latest attempt at getting a date. I had nothing to worry about. As long as I didn’t slip up and say something I shouldn’t to one of the Motionless guys or Brodon, who didn’t know about my past. I wandered through the massive group still gathered around the food, searching for Brodon. Who was currently talking to Chris, Ricky, Angelo, Ryan, and Allie. This was going to be a long tour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hurray! The sequel's finally started. As always, leave a comment and let us know what you think. And while you're at it, we're taking suggestions for the name of Brodon's band.

Now, off to The RockshowChick