‹ Prequel: Black Damask
Status: Completed

Synthetic Love

Chapter 17

A few weeks had passed since Devin’s “meeting” with Brodon. Dev’s cuts and bruises had healed, and Brodon had stopped talking shit about us, particularly me, though he and the rest of his band continued giving us dirty looks when we passed one another. But that was fine, because this was the last week of tour, and I was going home with the Motionless guys. Home to Scranton. There was no point in going back the apartment I’d shared with Brodon, as the few things that were really mine to own had been brought with me on tour.

I wondered if my mother still lived in Scranton. Did she still own the house? Did she actually spend time there, or did it sit empty, day after day, except for those few times a month when she’d return like when I was still living there? Or had she moved on to someplace else, still searching for whatever it was she had always been looking for. I guess it didn’t really matter. She hadn’t cared too much when I’d run away.

Someone grabbed my arm, pulling me behind a trailer, jerking me from my thoughts. Brodon. So much for it being safe for me to walk around alone again. I pulled my arm away from him roughly. “I thought you’d learned your lesson,” I snarled.

Brodon grinned darkly. “My lesson? That you’re too weak to fight your own battles, so you had to send your sorry excuse for a boyfriend and your pitiful group of friends? Is that the lesson you meant? You should know me better than that. Much better. But you never were one to learn quickly. After all, I had to rescue you from your father instead of you leaving him yourself.”

“I didn’t send them, they went after you on their own. I didn’t know what they did until they got back. And no, you didn’t rescue me from that hell hole. I knew what I was getting into when I moved back in with him. And looking back now, I would have been smarter staying there with him instead of moving back in with you.”

“Take that back you little bitch! I gave you so much. You wouldn’t even be here right now if it wasn’t for me.”

He gave me a lot? Sure, what he said about getting me out of my father’s place was true, but that was about it. At least once a week I had to drive him and his band mates home because they were too drunk to even get down the block. I was their errand-girl when it came to things they didn’t want to do. It was my car that was sold so there would be enough money to be here in the first place. So, no, I don’t I was given much. But I held all that back. Instead, all I said was, “I’m sure I would have met someone else eventually.” I turned to leave, but after one step, Brodon was behind me, holding me back. That was it. I spun around, swinging my fist as I did. I caught him off guard, sending him reeling back. He growled lowly, much like an animal. His expression changed rapidly, though I was unable to read it. I froze at the sound of someone clearing their throat behind me. Fuck no. Please don’t let it be another of Brodon’s band mates.

I turned slowly, letting out a breath when I saw Austin standing there. “I thought we’d made ourselves clear,” he said, walking towards us. “Do we need to refresh your memory?”

Brodon shook his head, moving until his back was against the trailer. “That fucker told me you didn’t care about him anymore. He said you wanted me back. I thought he was telling the truth. Then he showed up with a whole group of you and beat the shit out of me. I should have known that was all a lie. You couldn’t even do it yourself. But now I can see that you’re never coming back, no matter what I do. Fuck you, Bel. Have a great fucking life.” He gave Austin and I both death glares before stalking off.

I let out a breath I didn’t know I’d been holding. “You ok?” Austin asked.

I nodded. “I want to believe this it,” I said. “I want to believe Brodon’s really giving up, but after everything he’s done,” I trailed off.

Austin pulled me into a hug. “I think he got the point. Besides, if he fucks with you, he fucks with all of us. If anything, he’s learned that much.” We started walking back to my bus. “Besides, tour’s almost over, and I’m assuming you’re not going back to wherever it is that Peace For Mind is from.”

“No, I’m going back to Scranton. For a little while, at least. Motionless has another tour soon, in Europe I think. I’m going with them, then on to wherever it is they go next. Want to come in? I know Dev and Angelo are here for sure, but I’m not sure about who else,” I offered as we reached the door.

Austin shrugged. “Sure, why not?”

As I expected, Dev and Angelo were sitting in the front area, along with Ryan and Balz. I quickly explained what happened to them after taking a seat next to my boyfriend.

“So that’s where he got that wicked bruise on his face from,” Austin said softly, staring at me in amazement.

The guys laughed as I nodded. “I forgot about that part of you,” Ryan said. “That chick from high school got it pretty bad from you if I remember right.” The others nodded again. It was strange. This was the first time I’d thought much about high school. Other than the time I’d spent with Devin or at home with the guys. That’s ok though, we’ve got time for new memories. Austin stayed with us until he had to leave for sound check. Looks like we’ll be finding out very soon if Brodon is really giving up or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't have anything to say here other than the usual comment, subscribe, recommend, etc. Thanks to everyone who has commented so far.