‹ Prequel: Black Damask
Status: Completed

Synthetic Love

Chapter 5

Setting up the merch table was annoying as hell. Usually Brodon helped me, but today he was off on a last-minute food run. “Need some help?” I turned around to see Ryan and Devin standing there. What the fuck happened between last night and now? Ryan looked ecstatic and Devin looked…something. Tired would be a major understatement. Wait, I think I know what went on. No, I don’t want to think about that.

“I would say yes, but don’t you have sound check or something?” Why would they be interested in helping set a merch tent that’s not even theirs?

Devin shrugged. “We’ve got time before we need to be down there. What do you want us to do?” I pointed out which boxes needed to be emptied and which ones needed to be set up where. Somehow the two of them managed to make a game out of it.

“Having fun over here?” Brodon asked behind me. I hadn’t even heard him come up.

“Actually we kind of are,” I said. “We’ve gotten everything set up for the night already.” I knew what was coming next.

“Glad you were enjoying yourself while I was getting something for you to eat before the show,” he said, dropping the bag onto the table. “Why couldn’t you find some other chicks to help you? You’re always hanging out with guys.” This wasn’t a new thing.

I took a deep breath before answering, attempting to keep my temper. “In case you haven’t noticed, there aren’t exactly many females on this tour for me to hang out with. Or would you prefer me to talk to no one but you?” This conversation always went exactly the same. Unfortunately, this time we had an audience.

“Um, I could talk to Allie and maybe you two could hang out sometime,” Ryan suggested. “I’m sure she’d like the company.”

“Sounds good to me,” I said. Brodon nodded, but I could tell he was still upset. Something was seriously bothering him. “Tell her she can come by some time or you can give her my number, and we’ll make some plans together that way.” I ignored Brodon’s snort when Ryan handed me his phone to put my number in. However, I couldn’t ignore the jealous look on Devin’s face. The two left afterwards, leaving Brodon and I alone.

Without a word, he started pulling the food out of the bags. “They put chives on my potato,” he groaned, pushing it aside.

I pulled the lid off and looked at the little green rings on the potato. “Those aren’t chives, they’re the little green men here to study human,” I said. I couldn’t keep from laughing at the look Brodon gave me.

He ended up eating most of my food before leaving for the show. “Oh, I forgot to tell you, the guys got some drinks earlier.” I didn’t even have to say anything. Brodon knew I hated being around him and the band when they drank. But I did like getting to sober Brodon up. It was the only time I was allowed to scare the shit out of him. Unfortunately, it was way too easy. But then again, that part was kind of fortunate. “The next venue isn’t that far, so we’re not leaving until the morning. I was hoping you wouldn’t mind leaving the guys and I alone in the bus for a while, then I’ll find you later like I usually do.”

“Sure, I’ll find something to do after I pack up the merch tonight.” Such love, getting kicked out of my temporary home in a town I’ve never been to before by my own boyfriend. During the show I considered my options. I suppose I could go down to that café in town until they closed.

Being my amazing luck, the café closed early, so I was stuck with nowhere to go. Somehow I ended up laying on my back on a random bench near where the buses were parked. It was kind of peaceful, looking up at the stars out here alone. I didn’t move when I heard several people walking in my direction. I doubted they’d notice me here.

“Once again I’m forced to ask if there’s any particular reason why someone such as yourself is sting alone.” I forced myself to sit up and face not only Balz, but also Chris and Ricky.

“I’m temporarily banned from the bus while Brodon and the others spend a few hours getting drunk,” I explained quickly.

“So you’re going to spend the entire time out here?” Chris asked.

“I was planning on going into town, but everything is already closed. This is the next best thing.”

“I know something better,” Balz said, grinning. “You can come with us and have fun. And you can get Ghost out of this weird mood he’s been in tonight.”

That didn’t sound like such a bad idea. Wait, what kind of fun did Balz mean? I guess it didn’t matter. I could take care of myself if things got out of hand, but I doubted they would. I followed the three guys to their bus. After Angelo and Ryan all but drag Devin out of the bunk area, we watched Children of the Corn. I didn’t question it when the only empty seat for Dev just happened to be next to me. I had to admit though, Balz was right. This was better than looking up at the stars. The banging on the door came way too soon.

“Bel, where are you?” Brodon slurred. Before I could get up, Ricky was at the door. I had to get out and get Brodon sobered up fast. Once again, luck was not on my side. “Bel, come back to me,” he whined, pushing past Ricky.

I jumped up at the same time as the others. This had to be fast, before anything happened. Brodon staggered towards me when he saw me. I ignored the worried looks on the bands faces. Three words were all I needed. I grabbed Brodon’s shoulder’s, holding him still. “Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice,” I whispered quickly to him. It was amazing how easy it was to scare him. When he stiffened I turned him around and all but pushed down the steps and out the door of the bus. “Thanks guys,” I said over my shoulder. “I’ll see you later.”

“Bel, are you sure you’re going to be ok?” Ricky asked. I nodded. Brodon was sober, and he’d get the others sobered up soon enough. “You’re welcome back here anytime if you need to get away for any reason.” I shouted a quick thanks before walking back to Peace For Mind’s bus, sorry the Motionless guys had to see that. How was it that for the second time, I’d become the poor little friend of theirs that needed protecting?
♠ ♠ ♠
Ryan has finally gotten his thirty seconds of fame. And look, it's 12/21/2012 and the world hasn't ended yet. What a surprise. But what is a surprise is the significant lack of comments we're getting on this story. Make your authors happy and leave a comment. Anyways, it's off to TheRockshowChick for Devin's POV.