Lovely Rita

Chapter 10

"So can I just get my fangirling out of the way now, Paul?" I nervously asked the incredibly famous man beside me in the car.
"Fangirling? If you are from the future I fear for the English language! But sure." He smiled, flashing his perfect teeth at me and momentarily closing the eyes rimmed with beautiful, baby-boy eyelashes.
"I just can't believe I'm actually sat next to you. It's so weird, seeing you young. I'm used to seeing you much older where I'm from. This is so incredible..." I said, still finding it hard to believe myself. Paul half smiled at me. "Sorry, I just feel like I'm dreaming." I said.
"Do you want me to pinch you?" Paul said cheekily, glancing to his side knowing full well he was being very forward.
"Keep your eyes on the road, stud." I laughed. I could still feel Paul's eyes on me every now and then though.
*****
We got to Paul's apartment, and he led me out of the car. Paul linked arms with me, and I jumped at his touch again. I heard him sigh, and he turned to face me, holding onto my shoulders.
"Rita, calm down! For now we'll assume this is real, and you've somehow managed to get yourself lost in 1966. Let's enjoy it. At least you're with someone you... in a way, know. Ringo's here, but I'm sure you won't mind. Now let's get you calmed down with some more tea and you can have some food to get your energy up, and we can talk this out and get Ringo's view. Sound like a plan?" Paul smiled, holding onto my shoulders still. I felt his hands rubbing them, clearly trying to relax me. I finally succumbed to his touch, and followed him into the illuminated apartment.
"Ringo?!" Paul yelled through the house.
"In the living room." I heard that instantly recogniseable voice chime. It brought back watching Thomas the Tank Engine every evening as a kid.
"Got a visitor, mate." Paul said as we entered the room. "Found meself a little lady lost while I was out!" Paul said. Ringo turned around and his mouth formed an 'O'.
"Jeez Paul, where'd you find this one; a brothel?" Paul laughed at his comment. I crossed my arms and looked at Paul, being unsure how to defend myself.
"Nah, says she's from the future. Understandable, I mean, she's confused enough. Thought we could have a laugh. She was a bit shaken up and I thought I better bring her here and calm her down. She was all on her own." Paul was saying, as if I wasn't there.

"Ah right, the future? Where's that then?" Ringo joked. I giggled at his cheesy sense of humour. "You'll need to tell me all of Paul and John's biggest hits so that I can write them first. Sounds cool. I mean, you look our style chick, so you'll fit in fine here. Even if the future thing is bullshit." Ringo smiled, standing up to greet me properly. I shook hands with him.
"Thank you. I think." I answered. "I'm Rita." I said, smiling in a sultry way. 'Why not?' I thought. I might as well have some fun here.
"Cute name! I'm-"
"Ringo, I know." I cut in, smiling cheekily and showing my nerves a little bit, though my nervousness was beginning to vanish. I felt really great in these guys' company.
"I'll make some tea." Paul mumbled with a contemplative look on his baby face. I smiled in reply and went to sit with Ringo on the sofa.
Paul put the kettle on to boil and turned to watch Rita and Ringo chatting and laughing. She really was incredibly beautiful. He brought a hand up to his mouth and began chewing on his nail. The kettle squealed and he jumped, running a hand through his hair and turning around.
Ringo admired Rita's wit, being deemed 'the funny Beatle' himself. She was funny and easy to get along with. He had only just met her and yet she was so inviting and wonderful to talk to. He shot a quick glance over to Paul, who was watching them as he waited for the tea to infuse. Ringo raised his eyebrows at the beautiful man, who widened his eyes in reply as if to say 'What?!'. Ringo smiled as he realised Paul's fledgling attraction.

The cups arrived on the coffee table and Paul made himself comfortable next to me on the two-seater. Ringo sat on the three-seater alone and watched the pair. They acted so freely around each other. She rested her faux-leather clad legs over Paul's knee and he held onto them as they laughed and sipped tea. He could imagine her fitting in well at the studio. His ears snapped back into real time.
"Yeah, I play a bit!" I said playfully.
"Oh really? Y'hear that Starkey? Birds play rock guitar in the future!" Paul said. I slapped his arm in return.
"Yes. Yes they do. I sing too." I smiled, sipping my tea while eyeing Paul and Ringo to see their replies.
"Well, I think we need proof. Don't you Ringo?" Paul smiled. I put down her tea.
"Fine! I need an acoustic guitar and a song of your choice."
"Do one of our future hits!" Paul said excitedly.
"Uh-uh! That's off limits and always will be!" I said, tapping my nose as I stood up to grab the guitar Ringo was bringing to me. Paul, as far as I had always known, kept a variety of instruments at his house. Even those that weren't left handed, or his own. "Thanks Ringo."
"Well... Choose an early one then." Paul disheartenedly said.
"Okay, hold on." I gathered my thoughts. I was about to perform a Beatles track to half of The Beatles. I looked at the expectant faces in front of me, before looking back to Paul and clocking a song.
"It feels so right now hold me tight, tell me I'm the only one and then I might, never be the lonely one, so hold me tight, tonight, tonight. It's you. You, you, you.." I began. Ringo smiled and sat back in his chair, before shooting a look at Paul, who was intently watching me. I could feel a small connection between us in that moment. I closed my eyes, as I thought if I opened them I might wake up from this crazy dream. I was becoming more and more comfortable - I really didn't want to leave right now. The guys were everything I had ever imagined and more.
I strummed the song out to a close and opened my eyes reluctantly. To my astonishment, Paul and Ringo were still there. Ringo began to clap.
"That was amazing!" He said, standing up as I did. He patted me on the back and took the guitar from me. I smiled and went back to sit next to Paul.
"So, that proof enough?" I winked at Paul, a new thing I'd taken to doing. Paul looked at me and smiled. He looked around the room, I assumed, to see if Ringo was there. He wasn't.
"You could seduce a man with those lungs of yours, chick." He said, half smiling at me before returning to his tea.
*****
The night grew late and our trio had spent our time laughing and joking with eachother, and telling stories about this and that. I enjoyed hearing the stories of their tours, and all the gossip no one else knew but those close to them.
I yawned, the tiredness that had subtly subsided over the evening returning, and Paul looked over at me.
"You tired?" He said in a quiet voice.
"A bit. I'm having too much fun though!" I smiled.
"Yeah, but we have to get up tomorrow. Studio remember?" Paul said, more so to Ringo. Ringo nodded and got himself up. Soon enough it was just Paul and I.
"Thankyou, Paul. For letting me stay and all. It's really great of you. You're a really great guy." I smiled, gathering my belongings from the floor and standing up. Paul mirrored my actions.
"You're not so bad yourself, lovely Rita." I laughed, before remembering Pete. I didn't want to let myself cry but I just couldn't help it, and I burst into tears right in front of Paul. His face looked as though it broke and he took me into a hug. "Come on, Rita. You need some sleep. I'll take you." He said, and he led me off to a spare room in his house.
I kept thanking Paul for his kindness and he kept reassuring me that it was absolutely fine. He stayed with me until I fell asleep in his arms, which made him fall asleep too. We spent the night in a peaceful sleep, innocently entwined on top of the sheets.