Lovely Rita

Chapter 19

I woke up in Paul's arms, with crisp sunlight streaming onto me. 'Today is the day' was the only thought circling my mind.
I lay on Paul's chest, just playing with strands of my hair as I waited for him to wake up too. I hoped it would be a while, so I didn't have to leave. That dream was shattered however, when George knocked on the door loudly and yelled to us.
"I'm coming in and I don't care if you're not decent!"
I pulled the blankets up to cover my top half; not that I was self conscious, I just didn't fancy George seeing me naked particularly.

"Hey George." I said croakily, shifting my eyes up as my chin rested on Paul's bare and exposed chest. He motioned quietly for me to leave and follow him, so I grabbed Paul's shirt from the chair and did what I did last time. I escaped without waking Paul up, and followed George into the living room.
"So you ready?" He said, as we sat on the sofa. He'd prepared 3 mugs of coffee, in mismatched mugs. It felt homely and made the leaving part even worse.
"I don't think I ever will be, George. I don't want to go." And without thinking, I burst into tears and hugged George, and felt him awkwardly wrap his arms around me too. I stayed there, feeling comforted more than ever while Paul was asleep. It was different with Paul; with him I felt like I never wanted to leave, but with George, he made leaving seem easier, though it still wasn't a nice thought.
"There there, sweetheart. It's alright." He said in his strong Scouse accent, stroking my hair. 'There' sounded more like 'thur'. I pulled back from him and wiped my eyes dry, looking at George embarrassedly and laughing.
"God, I look so pathetic. You must be thinking I'm just a silly girl right now. I'm no fool." I said, as I studied George's face.
"No. I was just thinking that I've never seen a girl so smitten with Paul in this way. Works vice-versa too. Paul's insane about you, Rita. You're all he talks about." George said, lifting a corner of his mouth in a sympathetic smile. A few more silent tears dropped at his words, and he picked up my coffee and shoved it into my hand. I embraced the warmth of the mug with my hands for a while, before sipping. I heard footsteps from behind, and I looked across to see Paul emerging in just his pants. I threw a cushion at him.
"Put some clothes on, you slut." I said to him dryly. He mimed that the cushion had thrown him backwards into the wall.
"Same could be said for you. Is that coffee for me George? You shouldn't have." He said, coming round to the sofa and sitting down rather chirpily considering.
"Sounds like someone got out of bed on the right side this morning." George mumbled.
"When you've got this lady next to you, there is no wrong side." Paul said, ruffling my hair. I made a pretend vomiting face to George and he laughed, turning solemn again after a moment.
"So, you ready to go in a bit? We have to get there quick because otherwise we don't know if she'll be back in time." George said to Paul. Paul's smile changed to a straight line.

"Yeah, guess so. Better get ready in a bit then." He said, nudging me. I looked at George with a face that read 'why am I doing this?!'. His expression said 'it's for the best'. Paul got off the sofa and was loudly getting changed, or so I heard. He was bashing drawers about and generally making noise to signal his upset. I followed suit, but with less noise.
*****
Me, Paul and George stepped out of Paul's car, and walked to the corner where I was found before, to meet John and Ringo, who were already stood there. Luckily there were hardly any people around, otherwise The Beatles may have been arrested for attempted murder or something.
I held hands with Paul, and looked up to check his expression. He'd been silent all the way in the car, though when I had put my hand on his knee he had responded by putting his on top, if only momentarily. I worried he'd forget me while I was away. What if I couldn't get back?
I greeted the rest of the lads, and noticed Ringo was carrying a less than attractive looking truncheon. I gulped and hoped Paul hadn't seen. He had, of course.
"You're not using that fucking thing on my girl." Paul said, targetting Ringo who held up his hands to the angry bass player.
"Stop Paul. It was something we all agreed on." Ringo defended himself, stepping backwards from Paul's imposing behaviour. He almost snarled.
"You're right. I just... hate this. Can I have a word before it's done?" Paul said to the guys.
"Sure thing mate, we've got a while until it gets busy." John said, pointing to some unknown place.
Paul dragged me around the corner, and I felt a sudden twinge of sadness.
"Rita, promise you'll never forget me, okay?" He said, holding my shoulders and almost desperately shaking me.
I shook my head.
"How on earth could I ever forget you, Paul McCartney? This has been the best experience of my life, and I'm not going to let myself forget it that easily. I've loved every minute of this. I've loved hanging with the guys. I love you." I said, flashing mascara clad eyes that glistened with tears at him. One fell down and he wiped it away swiftly as he clutched my face on either side.
He didn't have words, and his eyes were welling up too. I could tell. It was then seconds before I felt the familiar push of his mouth on mine, perfectly pressing into me with the right amount of passion. I kissed him back romantically, not wanting this to be sleazy or cheap, just a real passionate moment between two lovers. I opened an eye to see the other three lads watching. I put a subtle middle finger from behind Paul's head up to them, to which they laughed, and closed my eye again. Paul pulled away.
"I love you too, Rita." He said, with tears now tumbling down his cheeks. He turned to walk with me, back to the lads. "What are you pricks looking at, eh?" He said to them as we returned. He wiped his tears away and let go of my hand as we got to the corner, and I stood in the place I had been found.
"Okay. I'm ready." I whispered. I closed my eyes, so as not to see lovely Ringo approach me with a weapon. I felt a warm embrace around me and a kiss on my forehead, before a sweeping blow confronted me from behind, and I felt the stars circling around my head, and the warm embrace I was so used to slowly fell away from me bit by bit. I was leaving them and going home. I felt truly empty there in my unconscious.
So truly empty and alone.