Lovely Rita

Chapter 25

I woke up in the least decorated room in the apartment. It was all Magnolia painted, with just a net curtain and a simple bed with white sheets. I was clearly just a guest this time. It was so different to how it used to be. I sighed. I did need a place to stay though, and Linda was kind enough to offer. The clock hanging in the room told me it was 7am. Jesus. I was still wearing the clothes from yesterday too.

I heard a voice from along the hall. It was Paul, but he was being ever so quiet. I tiptoed out of my room and listened in the hallway, just as I had done when I heard him singing 'Lovely Rita'.

"She's...Yeah, I know...I don't know...Rita, remember?...Linda said...Exactly John...Well, I know that..." Was about all I got from the conversation. I gathered he was speaking to John. I walked down the hall, kind of excited to see John after all this time, too.

"Speak of the devil!" Said a chirpy (for the morning at least) John, who held his arms out for a hug. I made a morning face and leaned into his chest, letting him squish me. "How have you been, Ri- I mean Julie?" John said, letting me go. I smiled cheekily.

"First name I thought of! I've seen better days thanks." I realised Paul might think that was a reference to he and Linda, so I quickly reconciled as I saw him look at the ground. "My head's still recovering from two blows. I've got the biggest lumps." I said. I knew that last line sounded euphemistic, so I winked at the end. John laughed.

"Glad to see your wit's not gone in the two years you've been gone, love!" He smiled.

"You're with Yoko now, right John?" I said, smiling and squinting my eyes slightly, worrying I might have gotten it wrong or something. He smiled.

"Yeah! You never fail to impress me with your future knowledge." John said. Paul shushed him, signalling for him to keep his voice down. I snorted with laughter at John's reaction. He made a little 'Ooh!' noise and a camp hand movement. I looked up at Paul who was looking out of the window I'd looked into last night, and went to stand next to him.

"This doesn't have to be awkward, you know?" I said quietly, putting my hand on top of his. I looked up at him. He was biting the inside of his bottom lip.

"If you'd have stayed here and done what I suggested, none of this would have happened!" Paul said, quietly angry with me. I looked at John; something I found I did often when over here. Paul could be volatile just as John could, though not as much. I found solace in seeing John reassure me. He smiled sympathetically at me.

"I had to. You'd have never met your lovely Linda, little Heather..." I said, hoping he wasn't too angry.

"We ready to go to the studio then, Lennon?" Paul asked, ignoring me. I watched Paul scrawl a note down from both me and him (Julie being the name he signed) and I realised I was obviously to go with them.

Paul slammed the pen down and walked out of the house first, as I linked arms with John and followed him out.

*****

Getting to EMI, Paul skipped on ahead of us, and I followed John up the steps to catch up.

The little white door of studio 2 was just closing, and John got there just in time to hold it open for me. I stepped into the room with a little 'ta dah!' and George and Ringo both got up.

"Rita!" George exclaimed, putting down his guitar and coming to hug me.

"How long has it been?" Ringo asked, holding a drumstick in each hand.

"Two years thereabouts! It was only about a day in 2012 though..." I said, shrugging my shoulders and glancing over to Paul, who had his back to everyone else and was fiddling about with his bass. I shot him an immature face while he wouldn't see, and George noticed.

"Lover's tiff?" He asked quietly, his long hair swayed as he walked away from Paul with me.

"Couldn't be a lover's tiff. Paul's with Linda and I'm their house guest." I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"You weren't to know when you'd arrive back. He has no right to be pissed off at you. You be the Rita I know and love and give him what for." George said, flashing his vampire teeth in a boyish grin before turning away to join John. I thought to myself 'what should I say?' but then I realised I should just do.

I grabbed Paul's arm and pulled him out of the studio, no matter how much he tried to protest. I dragged him up the steps we went up before and out onto the roof again, where we had that first argument. I sat down against the door when we got up there.

"Now the only way out is down there." I said triumphantly, folding my arms and giving a snooty expression.

I heard Paul snigger at that and I felt accomplishment wash over me.

I stood up, shocked at myself for what I was about to do. It had to be done though. As I reached Paul, I grabbed his face and kissed him. I kissed him hard, to make sure he knew I meant business. I pulled away as he started to join in.

"Did you enjoy that? Did it make you feel better?" I kissed him again. "That time? How about now?" I said, and I began kissing him and kissing him, holding his hair tightly. He wrapped his arms around me and I was losing my sense of control and melting into Paul again.

I pulled away before I let him become the dominant one.

"See, Paul. I didn't want things to be awkward. But look what you've gone and done. Now things are going to be awkward and it's all your fault." I said, smiling coyly at him as he had done to me. I was in control now. I was making him crazy.

He smiled back, and began laughing at me.

"You're incredible. I've missed you. And I've missed that. I guess I was just being a dick. That shouldn't have happened, either!" He said, as we wandered back through the door downstairs again.

Oh yes. Julie Christie was in control now.

Now to tell the others my name had changed.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter annoys me, but I wanted to get their attraction to eachother still out the way :)

It's going to get juicy!

rate/comment/sub :)