Lovely Rita

Chapter 26

“Julie Christie?’ said Ringo, with a slightly apprehensive raising of the eyebrows. ‘Sounds genuine enough. S’gonna take some getting used to though, love.’ He concluded on behalf of the group, who were clearly trying to programme their minds to suit.

‘It’s a family name. I had to think on the spot because someone,’ (I emphasized the ‘someone’ and prodded Paul, just to ensure we were on good grounds again) ‘forgot to mention his lovely Linda would be home so soon.’ I said, smiling. I was glad to see even Paul was now joining in the light humour.
‘I mean, even for me it’s going to take some getting used to. So fair deuce to you guys if it’s hard.’

The session finished later than expected (it had been set to finish at around 2pm, but due to our discussion early on about my sudden change of name we’d killed about 2 hours extra) and when Paul and I walked out of the studios it was already getting dark, even at four. His keys swung carelessly from his hand and I commented on his shitty parking, now that I saw from a distance.

“Well excuse me! Your meter maid background’s definitely shining through.” Paul said, hanging his arm limply over my shoulder.

“Well, I guess it’s nice to see things never change.” I winked at him, and his mouth curled into a coy smile.

“That’s another thing I’ve missed, y’know…” Paul said, looking off somewhere into the distance reminiscently as we sat down in his car. It was different from last time. It was a Bentley with a metallic green body and off white roof. The interior was faux-leather (obviously not real leather) in a cream colour to match the roof, and it had that new car smell; possibly aided by the dangling novelty air-freshener, which, from the image of Lady Liberty, I gathered was from Linda’s hometown - New York.
I looked across from the passenger seat to Paul as I fastened my seat belt. He was holding onto the steering wheel, looking out ahead and ready to drive.

“What?” I said, squinting slightly to try and work it out.

“Your wink! Haven’t you heard the song I wrote especially about you, silly?” Paul said, poking his tongue out at me.

“Oh! ‘Give us a wink and make me think of you’?” I sang lightheartedly, as he nodded. His puppy dog eyes looked like they were seeing things from the perspective of 1966 again.

“Yeah. That was always one of my favourite Rita traits… Guess it’s called a Julie trait now!” He chuckled softly, stroking the left side of my face with his thumb, pushing a stray strand behind my ear as he did so. I held onto his hand as it rested on my cheek, reveling in this moment that felt so naughty; yet to an outsider would seem so innocent. I closed my eyes and leaned into his chest, wanting to breathe in the scent I used to sleep beside at night, the scent that brought me back to being sung to sleep and cradled when I was in times of trouble. He was like a drug to me, and he of all people knew about those.

I sat back in my seat and Paul turned the key in the ignition. I looked out front with a naughty grin plastered on my face, and Paul looked over at me and furrowed his eyebrows. I wasn’t sure if it was concern about what I was thinking or curiosity at the notion, but either way I didn’t care.

“What?” Paul said apprehensively. I looked over at him with the same grin playing across my mouth.

“I want to go for a drive.” I said, looking deeply into his eyes to see if he remembered last time. He chuckled at me.

“Before you ask, I do remember. And secondly, I’d love to, but I have to get home before Linda gets suspicious about my ‘old friend’” He said, putting apostrophes around the last two words with his hands. I pouted a little at his comment, feeling in a reckless mood even though I was completely sober. Maybe it was the two blows I’d taken to the head.

“I guess. I love that she asked me to stay. Linda is such an inspiration to me, always has been…” I trailed off, smiling at Paul as he smiled back.

“That’s so lovely. But she’d be creeped out if you, as a ‘friend’, told her that!” Paul laughed as he started to pull out of the studio gate.

I pulled down the sun protector suspended from the ceiling and took in my disgusting reflection.

“Oh my God,” I said, in the most disgusted sounding voice in the world. “I look hideous.” I moaned, flipping up the visor and hiding my face in my hands. “I can’t believe you let me go out like this!” I said in a pathetic, whiny voice.

“I know a salon that’ll still be open now. Most places round here don’t close until about 6pm, so you’re safe I’d say. The salon I know don’t do appointments though, just drop by. Say I sent you, too.” I smirked at his last few comments, though he said them perfectly sincerely.

As he drove, Paul noticed my smirk. “What?”

“Nothing. ‘Tell them I sent you’ though?” I questioned, still smirking majorly.

“What about it?” He asked, innocent to the humour I found.

I made a camp hand gesture and repeated the quote. He looked out front and his mouth transformed into a smiling ‘O’.

“What’s homosexual about that?” He said, chuckling at me. I did a bellowing laugh as Paul stopped at some lights.
“Nothing, it’s just that you have a salon you often go to, clearly. I just didn’t peg you as someone who cared about themselves that much.” I said, smiling. He laughed as he set off again.

“Well, as you can tell it doesn’t do any harm being well connected. You don’t have to get pampered by my Sara if you don’t want to?” He said, smiling as his indicator clicked off and he turned a corner.

Pampering did sound quite nice actually, especially after my two massive head traumas. I smiled to myself and Paul kept his eyes on the road, triumphantly smiling.

“I’ll take that as a yes then.” He said, slowing down the car outside a lit up, cutesy beauty salon. I rolled my eyes, not particularly being a fan of the typical, vapid salon. I stepped out of Paul’s car nervously, never having been to an all out beauty salon before and not fully knowing what to expect. I saw it catered to both men and women, so that lessened the concern over Paul’s love for the place. I looked through the window before he drove off, and he smiled at me.

“Thanks for this.” I said, as genuinely as I could. I didn’t like to be phony, but Paul was being sweet after this morning. Bless.

“It’s okay. Just remember to say I sent you, and ask for Sara. Make sure she makes you beautiful, Julie.” Paul said, winking as he drove off. I stood on the pavement, smiling as I watched the car zoom off down the road I was familiar with towards his house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel nice about this chapter :)

Things are going to get interesting guys, these parts are kind of filler-y.