Lovely Rita

Chapter 3

Monday mornings without Uni were strange. I was so used to packing my things each day to set off for the LCA and perform with all of my friends that I often felt depressed that I had to work until my audition now.
I had gotten a job as a part time traffic warden while I was staying in Liverpool still, just so that I could pay off any student loan I owed. I found the irony funny, being a meter maid called Rita - just like the song. It was the only job available though. Again, I don't want to say I believe in fate...
I put on her high-vis jacket, thinking to myself that in the Sixties it must have looked so much more fashionable; though I had altered it a bit so that it was cinched in at the waist a little more. I grabbed my little white book and made for the door, just as I had yesterday morning, though I knew it was going to be far less fun today.
I locked the door behind me, as all of my friends had gone out to work too, and turned around hastily. I was met with an extreme close up of a wide eyed man's face. I gasped and stepped back.
"Oh! I'm so sorry! That was so ignorant of me. I was just off to work. You know how it is." I chuckled to the man who I had not yet fully taken in.
"It's fine, ma'am," He said shyly. My mind drifted off as I began taking him in. He wore the cutest tight trousers, and had an orange jacket on, which told me this man was our new postman, obviously. He was holding a large square package, tied with brown paper like the old times, and his hand was covering the addressee. My gaze moved up to his eyes, the most beautiful brown you could ever see, with dark eyelashes... almost the spit of Paul. I took a subtle breath in, realising how uncanny the resemblance was. His swooping dark locks, his beautiful eyes and face that was boyish but wise. "So yeah, this is for here..." He said, shyly passing the package over to me. I signed his clipboard and didn't give the package a second glance. I was way too caught up in this lad.
"So, what's your name? I like to know my postman's name..." I smiled, trying to prevent him from leaving but giving the most stupid excuse for wanting to know his name. He chuckled quietly.
"It's, uh, Pete. And yours?" Pete said.
"Oh! Mine's Rita," I smiled, holding out a hand for him to shake. He did so shyly. "Well, it was nice to meet you, Pete." I said, dropping my right hand. He smiled and turned to leave. I stood there for a moment, smiling confusedly like an idiot, and then turned to the door again to put the package inside.

Locking up again, I sighed and set off for work on the cold, Liverpool streets.