Lovely Rita

Chapter 30

I'd gone to bed a lot earlier than everyone else, before Paul returned even, so naturally I woke up before everyone except Heather, who was up and playing from what I could hear coming from her bedroom. I was dressed and washed and smelled as fresh as I could already.

I shuffled out into the kitchen and boiled some water to make some coffee. Leaning back on the counter, I yawned vocally and checked the time on the wall clock. 5am. Jesus. What was happening to me? I laughed at myself. I didn't feel insane, because noone was in my vicinity. I heard movement from the hall and decided to get another mug out, just incase it wasn't Heather.

"Hey Linda." I said, smiling brightly considering the time. She was obviously up to get to Scotland for a relatively good time.

"Ugh, hiya Jules." She replied, clearly feeling groggy at waking up so early. I picked up the jar of instant coffee and shook it, raising my eyebrows to ask the blissful question. "Mind reader!" She said, trudging over in her dressing gown to the kitchen to join me.

"I'm off to Scotland this morning with Heather, by the way." She said after a few minutes of tired quiet.

"I know," I said, chuckling. "Heather told me while decorating me with animals. She said you were packing." I smiled, pouring the water into each mug and adorning each with one sugar.

"Thanks sweetheart," She said, taking the mug from me as I finished stirring. "I can tell this place won't be too much trouble for you considering the cleaning frenzy you went on yesterday!" Linda said, smiling warmly. I returned the expression, running a hand through my mane of hair (which was still in a beautiful condition from the other day). I would shower after my coffee.

"Aw, thankyou! I'm glad you liked it. I was worried you might get offended that I'd cleaned or something. I know people like that..." I replied, looking more than relieved. Her face lit up.

"Are you nuts? I loved that you did that. I came in and saw you asleep on the couch and thought, 'bless her'. Thankyou one million times over." She said in her motherly, light New York accent.

I heard more movement from the hall as Linda shuffled off to get ready with the coffee she was cradling like a newborn baby, and I settled myself on the sofa, ready to catch up on overnight news. Suddenly hands covered my eyes and I gasped, pushing them down away from my face. I looked up to see Paul cheekily grinning at me. I scrunched up my lips into a grumpy pout.

"Why did you do that? I have hot coffee near me!" I almost yelled.

"Surprise! We're alone this weekend." Paul said quietly, his lip making an 'eek' face. I must have mirrored it, because I was worried about the exact same thing.

"I know. It'll be so weird. Like old times, just less... Y'know." I said, demurely half smiling.

"Haha! Exactly. It'll be nice to chat as we did before, without everyone around. I still remember that time when you played to me and Ringo. It was stunning." Paul said, smiling comofortingly. Linda arrived behind him and I changed the subject quickly.

"Paul was telling me you're thinking of getting some sheep and stuff?" I quickly reconciled, using my actress face and utilising the information Heather had bestowed upon me last night.

"Yeah! We want to start up a sort of farm. Just a meat free one." Linda said, draping her arms around Paul. He smiled half heartedly, fiddling with the cotton on the sofa. I watched his hands as I used to watch them play guitar to me. I stopped my train of thought before it got to the time we played to eachother naked.

"I need to get changed. Me and Heather need to be there in a bit." Linda said, kissing Paul on the cheek and shoving away, slinking off into the bathroom. Paul smiled in an interesting way, before moving out into the kitchen to make himself a tea.

This weekend was going to be a difficult one.

*****

Paul drove Linda and Heather, with me present, to the 'better' train station in Liverpool; i.e. the one not many people travelled on because it was so expensive.

I took in the surroundings, relaxing in the back seat of Paul's car with Heather belted in next to me. I was mainly thinking about what this weekend alone with Paul would bring. I was hoping that my urges would be able to be supressed enough.

The hold Paul had over me was strange; when he was gone I had this aching chasm in the pit of my body, where nothing and noone would suffice but him. Then when he was there he was like a potent and powerful drug, one that was hard to wean off once you're hooked. A drug that divorced me from my usual emotions. I had never been like this about someone before; it was a definite vagary from my typical relationship. Plus, I was still only in my twenties. I'd vowed to myself I'd not get married until I was in my thirties and sure about the guy, because I didn't like the idea of divorce. So to feel like this in my twenties meant Paul must mean a lot to me. He should be thankful. I smirked at that thought.

I began planning ways to prevent us from being alone, because I just knew there'd be sexual tension lingering around if we were alone. Both being very sexual people, I'm not sure we'd both be able to suppress those urges when they presented themselves. I guess we could invite the guys round or something. I liked that idea. Just a little catch up with the guys, snacks and harmless drinks. It'd be nice. The image in my head was wonderful, so I focussed on that to stop my mind from wandering.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you're liking - Last few chapters have dragged a bit too much for my liking.

comment/sub/rate! :)