Lovely Rita

Chapter 38

John stayed out in the kitchen leaning on the counter next to Yoko, as I sat on the couch almost rocking in worry and guilt. Linda was going to die an untimely death, and here I was just gallavanting around with her soon to be husband! I felt sick to my core. I would never want to be cheated on, let alone be in cahoots with the cheater.

"Fucking shit. Guys, what am I going to do? I feel so guilty..." I said, holding my hands in a praying position. I furrowed my eyebrows, my mind not really being able to function properly and create a clear answer to anything. There was just this thick, heavy fog descending over the creative part of my brain that could easily come up with something.

"Well I used to do it to Cynthia all the time, Jules." John said casually. I glanced up at him, my face still showing signs of anguish and despair.

"But John, I'm not you! However much you're able to mask it behind that wonderful personality of yours, I'm weak! That's exactly why I couldn't object to going off with Paul last night! I'm such an idiot; I should've never come back. Paul would've been better off if I had just gone and stayed away." I said, my voice almost turning into a whisper as I started to feel the sting of tears. I covered my face; the only person I would ever want to cry in front of was the person this was all about. And he was asleep.

"Hey, hey! Julie, don't cry, we don't want any of this!" John said, consoling me after he rushed over and put his arm over my shoulder sympathetically. I sniffed back tears as I looked up to him, as I often did when in times of trouble. He seemed to have this calming effect on me, I don't know why. It was the same with George, I instantly felt at ease.

"But John, I'm going to say something accidentally, I know it. I shouldn't have come back here. I knew I'd slip up somewhere and ruin my chances of being able to stay here. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself and I knew I'd end up screwing everything up. Like fucking usual." I said, silent tears streaming down my cheeks as I said all of that. John's face curled into a 'thinking' expression.

"But, Jules, you were on acid. It's understandable, I mean... Paul was on it too. Besides, he's the one that led you off. To be fair, Linda might say 'stop doing LSD!' but that's about as far as it would go. If she finds out that is." John said, pinning a badge of hope onto me. I wiped away the stupid tears I was crying and hugged John, thanking him as I did so.

"You're not stealing her away are you Lennon?" Paul joked as he walked into the room wearing some pants and a vest top (not my one - I made a mental note to go and retrieve that later) wiping sleep dust from his eyes.

I made sure there was no residue of tears on my face and looked up and smiled at him, to which he returned it with what I called his 'Fool On The Hill' smile. It did warm up my insides, I must admit. I was kind of angry that he led me astray from my typical good on the outside, naughty on the inside personality, but I knew getting worked up would do no good. I just had to let it roll and see what happened.

"Well, we better go. I think you two have some catching up to do." John said, grabbing his keys from the side and clutching Yoko's hand before making a swift exit after thanking us for having them.

I looked down at my mug on the table, before standing up and making my way over to Paul. I stood in front of him, furrowed my eyebrows angrily and went to start firing questions about what to say and what to do, but he forced his mouth onto mine and made me melt into one of those magical kisses; the ones that embodied his velvety voice.

I was just going to have to hope for the best when Linda got back. Oh, and clean the room. She'd entrusted me with that at least...