Lovely Rita

Chapter 47

I crossed off the dates on the calendar in the apartment I had started renting and realised today was the 22nd of November 1968. My heart jolted and I rushed to get myself ready, so I could leave early before work to go to the record store before they sold out.

I jumped about pulling my tan coloured tights on, and slipped some capris and a tight top on carelessly, before brushing my hair and slicking on some eyeliner and mascara. I slotted my sunglasses on and grabbed some money and my keys, before locking the door and power walking down the street towards the shops.

As I imagined, even at 7am the record store was abuzz with people, milling around the 'B' section. I lingered nearby, waiting for a gap and not wanting to get caught up in the hormonal teenage girls. Finally I saw my chance. I lunged for one of the white squares and yanked it out of the shelf, before rushing to the till to get out of the sweaty, cramped room that was the record store on a Beatles record release day.

The fresh air outside never felt so good, as the reams of teenagers spilled back out of the store. I looked properly at the record sleeve, trailing my hand over the empty white space that was the White album. My eyes scanned every single centimetre, and I couldn't wait to listen to the music I hadn't heard properly for so long. And Paul's voice... I smiled to myself as I watched all of these girls and listened to their conversations, catching snippets as I stood resting outside the store. My stomach was acting up again.

"I heard that Ringo walked out for a while!"

"John's such a rebel."

"They're so lovely! I love George so much!"

"Paul is so sexy, look!"

Were just a few of the snippets I heard from the girls. I revelled in the fact I'd had the one they all called 'sexy'. They were all outside crooning over the pictures included with the black disc.

I looked down the track listing and reached 'Honey Pie', and my heart started racing as I thought of the lyrics.

It was about me. I was 'Honey Pie'. It made perfect sense. He had always named me that, I was in Hollywood and had always said I wanted to be, and we'd had a love affair. It couldn't be coincidence...

*****

My stomach was turning like crazy and I felt so ill. I had gone in to work but I wasn't feeling great. I wondered what the problem was; I literally looked green in my reflection. Even Peter had said I didn't look great today. The power of make-up aided my performance though.

I decided to stop by the doctor on my way home, as it was only a short walk from my apartment. I desperately needed an emergency appointment, and I was sure they'd let me have one. This was such a weird feeling, like nothing I'd experienced before when I'd been ill.

After 20 minutes of mindlessly reading posters in the waiting room, I was called in and explained my symptoms.

"So that's odd sensations in your stomach area, the feeling as though you're going to throw up, and a nauseating headache in the morning?" The doctor asked me. I nodded. He looked at my hands and I furrowed my eyebrows as to why.

"Is there a Mr Christie?" He asked, and I thought he was coming on to me. I shook my head nervously, not liking being at the doctors at the best of times, even moreso now I was in a place I wasn't extremely used to yet.

"Um, no. No there isn't, Doctor." I said quietly. He sighed quietly and swallowed, the quiet of the room making it sound louder than it was.

"I would like for you to take a urine test. I have my suspicions and I can test your urine tonight and call you back later on. Take this pot and give it in at the front office, and I'll give you the details over the phone tonight. Good evening, Miss Christie." he said, handing me a small urine pot and motioning to the door. I stood up and thanked him, leaving the room swiftly. I hated doctors.

*****

While at home, I paced around waiting for a phone call, worrying that I might have some kidney disease or my liver finally caught up with all of that alcohol I consumed and I was dying or something. I knew I was being extreme but you never know.

I jumped as the phone rang, and I cautiously walked over, worried about what I might be told.

"Hello?" I said in my whispery voice, used to using it on set and for the cameras.

"Is that Miss Christie?" My doctor from earlier said. I nodded stupidly, thinking he could see me.

"Yes, yes that's I. What did the results say?" I said, taking a big gulp as I anticipated the answer was nothing serious.

"It's exactly as I thought, Julie. You're pregnant." I froze. My eyes widened and a cold sensation crept through my body. I put the phone down and had to find a seat quickly.

Shit...