Lovely Rita

Chapter 5

I rushed indoors and chucked my jacket and bag down onto the sofa, where all of my housemates were sat watching some vapid reality show on MTV.
"Where are you off to in such a hurry, lovely Rita?" Martin asked, quoting a song from the band he said were for old women and hoochi pant wearers.
"I met this guy called Pete." I said, flinging clothes out of my wardrobe, before leaning out of the doorframe to continue. "He's kind of cute." I smiled to myself.
"Oooh!" my friends all sang in unison. "You'll have to bring him round sometime!" my other housemate Ashley called to her. I made a noise in reply.
"It's early days yet, love!" I yelled, remembering not to mention he was our new postman.
I threw on some seamed tights and a dress with some kitten heels, and pinned my hair up in a Bardot-esque beehive on top of my head, leaving the long, curled tendrils trailing down my back neatly. I lined my eyes with some black eyeliner quickly and painted my lips with a dusky pink lipstick; a trademark of mine. A spritz of perfume to finish and I whisked herself out of the room as quick as anything.
"Bye guys! There's a parcel by the door, don't forget to check it if you ordered something lovelies!" I yelled as she slammed the door behind her. I knew they'd forget, but I didn't really care.
I walked down the street I had followed this morning briskly, not wanting to get there any later than was possible. I was actually really excited, even though I'd only just met Pete today... This wasn't like me. A car sat by that run down music shop, and I stooped to look through the window. There wasn't anyone in there...

"You're not going to give me another ticket are you, lovely Rita?" that deep Scouse accent said again. I turned in a daze to look behind.

"Oh, Pete!" I smiled up at him, beaming my pearly whites to him. "Actually, I was a bit confused as to why you weren't in your car, but anyway..." I trailed off.
"I ran home to grab this." He said, holding out a tape. I took it from him and read the white label.
"'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'? Oh my God! You put this on tape for me? Is it too early to say I love you?" I joked, before hugging him tightly. We stepped into the car and Rita slipped the tape into the player.

"It's only a tape, sweetheart." Pete chuckled.

As the first few chords of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' started playing, Pete set off down the road, to a place that he knew of somewhere near.