Lovely Rita

Chapter 50

Stepping off the flight, on which I'd been hounded for a few autographs much to my delight, I breathed in the British air, glad to be back in my hometown again (London was where I originated, though I went to Uni in Liverpool). I dragged my suitcase quietly from the plane to the indoor area, wanting to sit down desperately.

I had decided to wear a cream wiggle dress, that was fitted quite tight, showing off my shape but leaving a bit of space around my tummy, which had been starting to get bigger but not by much. I had a pair of cream kitten heels on, not too high, and some black cat-eye sunglasses, which stood out against the cream head scarf I had on to shield my already bleached hair from the English Spring sunshine.
I slipped out my compact mirror and checked my lipstick wasn't bleeding or smudged, and sorted out any powder specks remaining on my face. Once I was done, I packed everything back and headed off, nervously looking forward to seeing everyone again. So much had changed since that last time at the airport...

The day was still young, so I decided to check my bags into a storage place nearby the venue, and go for a walk about town. I hadn't been to London for so long, it was incredible thinking back. I couldn't even remember what it had looked like before. I strutted down the street proudly, feeling like I actually belonged in the cosmopolitan city now.
I reached the HMV this street had, which had been opened two years ago (I knew this because George Martin opened the first on Oxford Street in 1967). There were posters up advertising all of these new movies, and I scanned around looking for 'In Search of Gregory' anywhere, and surely enough, I found it. My photograph was in a window of a big store, advertising a movie.

"And introducing Julie Christie!" It read, and I whispered it aloud as I scanned the letters with my eyes. I decided to carry on walking so that I didn't look creepy, and got to the registry office. I stood a little way away, watching people bringing in decorations and tables and chairs. I looked on, hoping that one day I might get married, and I felt myself subconsciously rub my little bump again. I wanted this baby to have a daddy, even if it wasn't going to be it's actual father.

*****

I had sat on a bench reading a magazine, catching up on all of the British news when I started noticing people filing in. I didn't want to look too eager, so I hung back, watching these people I didn't know file in. There wasn't many, but it was enough to tell it was for Paul and Linda's marriage.

I was staring so intently that I didn't notice a young man tapping me on the shoulder.

"Miss?" The man said. I shook myself back into reality and removed my sunglasses, looking up at the young man, who was very handsome for a 20 or so year old. I smiled graciously at him.

"Yes, sorry I was in a daydream there son. What would you like?" I said, thinking he'd ask for the time.

"Forgive me, but I think I've seen you before. Are you that bird off the telly? You know, in that new film comin' out soon?" He said, his thick London accent shining through. I was taken aback that someone that wasn't coming from America recognised me. I understood the people on the plane moreso, but I felt charmed that this man had. I smiled and nodded, honestly gobsmacked.
"I thought so! Looks good that does. You were in Playboy too, I remember now! Christ, you're a bit of a stunner in real life too, aren't you!" He said, and I thanked him. I glanced behind him as I watched a few more people step into the registry office. He noticed.

"Oh. That's that McCartney's wedding isn't it? You're pretty high profile, you going?" He asked, and I held onto my tummy.

"Oh, no. Why would he associate with me? He's a bit more well known than I. But thankyou for assuming. And thankyou for recognising me." I lied wanting to avoid awkward questions, smiling. He tipped his hat and walked away.

When he was out of sight, I returned my sunglasses and stood up, brushing myself down, getting the invitation from my bag and making my way over to the venue as the people thinned out. I heard a wolf whistle from behind and smiled to myself, though decided not to awknowledge it.

The street clock was nearing 11, so I hurried up the last few steps like Cinderella, and power walked through the halls to the room where the ceremony was taking place, handing in my invitation and entering the room where everyone was still stood around talking. I entered and looked around for a minute, removing my sunglasses and putting them in my bag, trying to spot someone I knew. John, Yoko, Ringo, George, anyone!

"Julie! Jules!" I heard a familiar voice yell, and I swung my head around to see John waving me over. He was stood with Ringo, George, Yoko and... the happy couple. I smiled and swallowed hard, feeling my breathing quicken as I started walking over. John seemed to be the only one who noticed me so far, as he hugged me when I got there, but when I reached the rest of them I was greeted with smiles and eyes that said 'I've missed you' from everyone but Paul, who was doing his best to avoid my gaze.

"Hello, everyone!" I said, smiling brightly, trying to hide my nerves.

"Julie! You look great! How's it been, you know, in Yankeeland?" Ringo said, hugging me tightly.

"It's been wonderful! I trust Paul told you what I wrote him?" Ringo nodded, answering my question.

"Yes, of course. I've planned to go and see it as have the rest of the lads when it's out, don't you worry." He said, smiling at me brightly. I returned his cheerful expression, before realising I had also written about my magazine appearance in that letter.
I was shaken out of my mind by a surprise hug from George, who was attatched to Pattie whom I had not properly met yet.

"George!" I said, feeling his calming influence already. He smiled his vampire teeth at me and quietly said hello, and I exchanged pleasantries with Pattie as everyone started to disperse into seats. Before I went to grab a seat, I walked past Paul, saying a quiet 'hello' to see if he would reply. He didn't. Linda didn't seem majorly pleased to see me either. I looked down at the ground as I walked to my seat, next to John, and sat quietly waiting for them to exchange their vows and become husband and wife.

I couldn't help but feel a little envious, but then remembered I was carrying Paul's baby.

Oh yeah, about that...