Lovely Rita

Chapter 53

August 27th passed by quicker than a flash, and I was actually larger, a bit more noticeably now. I’d signed a few deals to start on some new movies next year once baby was at the right age for a nanny, and, of course, I had lost any baby weight I might have, and I was now dating someone. His name was Duncan. He was very handsome and very down to earth, as I liked.
Also, he was the polar opposite of Paul.
He knew nothing about music and was tone deaf. He had never been interested in fame; he was a successful lawyer from in Hollywood, and I’d met him at a dinner between mutual friends. He also didn’t mind that I was up the duff with another ‘mystery’ man’s baby. He’d seen enough court cases end badly, I suppose.

I was asleep with Duncan in my little apartment, when I awoke to sharp pains shooting up where menstrual cramps normally would. I clutched my small but swollen belly and gasped out in pain, breathing in and out slowly to try and suppress it.

“Shit!” I yelled out, waking Duncan and violently jolting.

“Is it happening?” He mumbled, clearly disliking being woken up so late at night.

I stifled a ‘yes’ and he quickly got himself changed and carried me to the car. I was relatively light, so I didn’t feel guilty for making him carry. Not that I could comprehend anything but pain and this baby coming along safely at that moment. I clutched my stomach and tried not to moan; I didn’t want to be an irritant.

We got to the hospital quickly enough, where I was to give birth to my first beautiful child in the early hours of the 28th.

It was easier than I thought, and a mind blowing, exciting experience.

I called her Mary, after her grandmother who had passed away in 1956. She was Mary Christie until I had decided what to do. Dunan didn't even know Paul was the Father, though he knew I had associated with them. Didn't everyone?
The space for her father was left clear on her birth certificate. He could fill it in when (and if) he found out. At the moment I was just content looking into my new baby girl’s eyes.

She was tiny, with beautiful eyes framed with eyelashes just like her father’s. Her irises were green-brown, like her Dad’s, and her mouth was in a cute little pout, just like Paul’s, mixed with the full, feminine aspect of mine. She was a clone of her daddy in female form, and I smiled, knowing I would be able to keep this little baby girl that we had made forever and ever. I thought it laughable that noone will even assume, though she looks so similar.
She weighed 6lb 7oz. She had dark, rich coloured fuzz atop her head and she was cute as a button. Duncan had spent his time congratulating me with flowers, and noted my tiredness, so said he would stay and look after Mary while I slept if I wanted.

I had never planned to have a baby at 28 years old, but right now I felt perfectly content, humble and comfortable as I drifted off to sleep with my tiny baby Mary cradled in my arms.