Lovely Rita

Chapter 7

"I had such a nice time tonight." I smiled quietly as I sat in the car with Pete after our date, which had us once again parked outside that curious record shop.
"Me too... You know something Rita?" He asked, twiddling his thumbs in his lap.
"What, Pete?" I asked, flicking my eyes in his direction as I re-applied my lipstick in the pull down mirror.
"I'd really like to see you again." Pete said, smiling up at me with eyes that were almost pleading. I giggled.
"I don't know, a girl might not be able to get used to someone being so chivelrous all the time. Of course, silly!" I said. "But I better get going. The guys might lock me out before I get back at this rate!" I smiled. We both left the car in unison, and Pete joined me at the passenger side of the car.
We stood holding hands outside that record shop, as Pete leaned down and kissed my lips. I kissed him back, though it wasn't passionate; just a soft, romantic one. We pulled away from eachother and smiled. "I better get off. Early start tomorrow!" Pete said regretfully. "Thank you for a wonderful time, lovely Rita." He smiled as he got into his car, and I winked and waved as he drove off.
I stood in the dark for a while, reeling in my emotions after a wonderful evening. I turned to the record shop, looking up at the bare title block above the window.
"This store is so odd..." I whispered to myself. Looking around cautiously, I knealt down again to look at the record. "What the..." I trailed off.
The record had disappeared.
I looked on with furrowed eyebrows, putting my hand up to the window to look through. I couldn't see much due to the darkness inside, but I knew for sure that record was gone. I stood up and brought my hand to my head.
"I'm sure I saw it. Pete saw it too, it must have been there..." I whispered, questioning myself. "This is weird." I whispered again. I felt a hand touch my shoulder and jumped out of my skin. People had to stop doing that.
"Shit!" I said, turning around and coming face to face with a man with a beard and dark clothes. I ignorantly assumed he was either a drunk or homeless. "Sorry, I'm just a bit on edge." I smiled at the man. He smiled back.
"I'm sorry for scaring you. I couldn't help seeing you noticing this store. Used to be a bloody good record shop. You know the one - Epstein owned the branch?" He said in his old Scouser accent.
"Are you serious? North End Music Store? This is crazy! Why is it so run down?!" I asked, mainly to myself.
"I don't know. After he died everything went to pot really, didn't it?" The man winked. "Anyway, I best be off. You be safe now." and with that, he shuffled off.
"Wow..." I looked up at the shop and laughed to myself. "Crazy."
Walking a minute or two down the road, I felt myself come over a little woozy. I stopped and steadied myself on a bollard, before my sight went grainy and the next thing I knew, I was kissing the concrete.