Status: Updating. . . .

I Wanted to Come Back

New, New, New, New- Well, You Get the Idea

I couldn't tell you how I exactly felt when I woke up that next morning, but there was hope there. I wasn't alone anymore, and neither was he. I didn't care about the travels he promised, none of that mattered, just him. He mattered. I can't explain it, there's just this thing inside me, this feeling that I needed him and he needed me. There was sorrow there too, I didn't know where it came from, I had no reason to feel that way, but it was there all the same. It sounds odd, hearing these things this early in my encounter with the Doctor, but as I said, that feeling influenced me so much.

I walked down the steps and jumped down onto the grated floor with a clank, the Doctor was standing in front of his little screen, typing away.

"Did you sleep last night?" I asked.

"What? No. Yes. No, no I didn't. Why would I say yes? How was your rest? Sleep well? Ready to go on an adventure?" he asked all at once.

He was energetic to say the least, buzzing and thinking and moving. I liked him like that, in the beginning, before I learned that it meant something was troubling him. That's the way it goes for him all the time though, doesn't it? Always wondering, always troubled by what he can't explain. That was the Doctor. And I'd take him that way any day.

"Umm, how about breakfast first?" I asked, sitting down on the ripped chair.

He spun around, "Yes, oh yes. Breakfast, breakfast, where do you want to eat breakfast? I know a great fish and chips place, I loved going there with R-. Friends."

There is was again, that dreaded 'r'. I wanted so badly to ask him why he never finished it, never said it all. I didn't though, I couldn't.

"Fish and chips? For breakfast?" I asked, an eyebrow raised.

His eyebrow raised, "What? Never had fish and chips for breakfast? You've never truly lived!"

I laughed and said, "Well, considering I'm not British, we don't go around eating fish and french fries all day!"

His mouth dropped and he said, "Oh! You did not just call them french fries! No one calls them that, they aren't french fries! They're chips, chips! The sooner you lot learn that the sooner you can evolve!"

I gasped, "Hey! We are plenty evolved, besides, you aren't even British!"

His mouth closed and he eyed me, "How do you know that?"

I shook my head, "You don't even sound British. You sound... Irish-y."

"Scottish."

I smiled, "Even better. So, how about that Barcelona? I've always wondered what a nose-less dog looks like."

He leaned against the console, he had changed into a brown pin-stripe suit today, and I loved it. His tie was black with blue swirls on it, the shirt underneath a white button up. Peeking through was his bare chest, and my face brightened slightly before I turned away.

"Alright! Allons-y!" he shouted, then ran around the console, tripping over himself as he went.

He switched and flicked and turned everything his hands could reach on the console before coming back to me. He leaned over and pulled a lever and the whole thing started to shake and I had to hold on the the seat to keep from falling over into the floor. Suddenly we stopped and he righted himself, I stood up, anticipation coursing through my veins. This was it, what I'd always dreamed of. Adventuring, seeing the world. Well, I guess you could say galaxy now.

"Beyond those doors, Lily, your wildest dreams could never even conjure a fraction of it. Are you ready?" he held out a hand.

I was scared to say the least, but only a little bit. I took his hand, smiling.

"I say I have a pretty creative imagination, let's do it!"

He smiled brightly and then took off, pulling me along with him. The doors burst open and we stumbled out into bright sunlight. I shielded my eyes and waiting for them to adjust, when they did a great city laid before us. Bright green grass stretched out under our feet, a body of water spanned out next to us.

"Well, this isn't right," he said, looking around. His brows were furrowed and his mouth was slightly open, in a kind of grimace.

"What do you mean?" I asked, marveling at the beauty before me.

How could something this magnificent not be right? Clearly there was something wrong with him.

"This isn't Barcelona, this is New York. Well, New New New New New-" he stopped, "Well, there's a lot of 'news' but this is New York in the future. The very far away future. Why would the TARDIS bring us here? It doesn't make any sense."

He started walking around, sniffing, yes sniffing, the air. Then he dropped to his knees and pulled up a blade of grass licking it, then tossing it away. He jumped back up and said, "Oh well. Shall we?"

He held out his elbow and I took it, looping my arm through his. "So, how new is this New York?"

He shrugged, "This is New Earth, after the sun burned up the old one everyone came back and started over. This is actually the fifteenth New York."

I stopped, "Fifteenth!? Well, my people sure do know how to stick around," I flashed him a smile.

He chuckled, "Right you do, you silly little humans you. I've been here before though, more than once actually. I wonder if an old friend might be here again."

He trailed off into his own silence, thinking about that old friend. We all knew who he was talking about though, don't we?

"What year is this?" I asked.

He made a little noise in the back of his throat, "Mmmm, I don't know... 5,000,000,043 maybe? Hard to tell," he looked down at me a smiled.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love that smile. It held so much, promise, hope, adventure. That smile could break your heart and mend it all in the same instance. The Doctor would never admit it, but he was afraid of his human side, the emotional side.

"Doctor?" I asked.

"Yes?"

"Why do... Why do I feel the way I do around you? I feel like I've known you for years, like I've traveled with you before. I'm so.... Comfortable with you. It isn't right, when I've only just met you, both of you," I said.

His arm tightened around mine, but he didn't say anything for a while. I was beginning to think he would never answer me.

Then, "I have no clue Lily. You are a part of something so much bigger, I fear. I haven't quite figured it out, but I will. Believe you me, I will. I'll keep you safe this time."

"This time?" I asked, frowning.

"The future, I mean. I didn't keep you safe in the future, so I have to keep you safe here, in the past," he said hastily.

He was lying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't hate, but I didn't like the Christmas Special last night. I honestly did not like it at all, though I am slightly curious about Oswin and what she is...