Unholy Matrimony

Two

CHANYEOL

I took a deep breath and looked at Tao, who had his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing.

“What?” I pouted. He opened his mouth to reply but ended up laughing hysterically. I sighed. “Wow, I didn’t know you were capable of feeling emotion.” I snapped.

“You’re… you’re…” He fell to the ground, rolling in the grass of the park we were in. “Why would you even… oh my God.”

“I want my proposal to be unique.” I said.

“You’ll be unique. Very unique!” He squealed, wiping some tears away. I rolled my eyes.

“Shut up and help me get in this tree.” He said.

“YOU’RE GONNA BE IN THE TREE?” He screamed, falling back down onto the grass. “Oh… oh my… oh my God, Chanyeol. Where did you come up with this idea?”

“It came to me in a dream.” I said, beginning to climb the tree. “So here’s how it’s gonna go. I’m gonna tell Baekhyun to look at what I found in the tree. I will come down and propose and everything will be perfect!” I explained. This only made Tao laugh harder.

“You look ridiculous!”

“Support me, God dammit!” I pushed myself on to a branch and sat there. “Now keep watch and tell me when they’re approaching.” He nodded, still crying.

“Chanyeol, I think I may have pissed myself.”

“Well that’s too damn bad.” I snapped.

“Okay, okay… they’re coming.” He took a deep breath as Baekhyun and Kris strolled up, holding a few shopping bags.

“Tao, I bought you some clothes.” Kris said to him, handing him a bag. Tao inspected it and smiled.

“Gucci sounds fun.” He read the brand name before looking into the bag. “Can I get more of this Gucci stuff for Christmas?” He looked back up at Kris.

“Okay, speaking of gay things, where’s Chanyeol?” Baekhyun looked around questioningly. I took a deep breath. This was it, this was my moment. I called his name and he glanced up at me, a confused expression on his face. “What are you doing up there? And why are you dressed like a bird?” This, of course, had Tao and Kris on the ground with their hands over their faces.

“Well, I found something in the tree!” I said, hopping down and landing in front of him. He laughed and asked what I had found. I reached into the pocket of my bird suit and, as soon as I touched the ring box, I froze. Kris and Tao and Baekhyun all looked at me expectantly. I gulped.

“Um, I found some interesting sticks.” I said hastily. Baekhyun cocked his head to the side while Tao and Kris’ faces morphed into ones of shock and disappointment. I had completely blown it. He slowly nodded.

“That’s great, babe.” He smiled sympathetically. “So, wanna go get coffee or something?” I nodded slowly.

“…Can you help me out of my bird suit?” I asked quietly. He unzipped me quickly and I shed the hideous costume.

We all began walking towards a coffee shop and I heard Tao and Kris whispering behind me.

“Looks like he CHICKENed out.” Tao said, making a stupid joke again.

“Your humor is just FOWL.” Kris replied. I sighed heavily. Proposal attempt A had failed.

BAEKHYUN

Kris and Tao had left to go look more in the Gucci store, and Chanyeol and I were now sitting in a coffee shop. I watched closely and he drummed his fingers against the table and fidgeted with his clothes and anything else within arm’s reach. What I found weirder though, was that he wasn’t eating. And normally he does not stop eating. I stared at him for a few minutes, watching him rock back and forth. His cheeks were pink and his eyes were distant, as if he was thinking of something really important.

“Are you alright?” I asked. His head snapped up.

“Hm? Oh yeah, I’m just nervous about a test I have.” He said, sipping his coffee. “Is it hot in here? I think it’s really hot in here.” He took off his jacket.

I giggled and moved my chair closer to his. “Don’t be stressed.” I said, taking his hand and kissing it softly after making sure no one was looking. “Let’s just have a good day today and we’ll worry about it all tomorrow, okay?” He looked at me with that stupid puppy smile on his face.

“Look, it’s snowing!” He gasped, his awkward and stressed demeanor completely disappearing. “If I’m lucky, class will be canceled.”

I shook my head. “Don’t count on that. Can I try some of your coffee?” I grabbed the cup and sipped it without waiting for his reply. He rolled his eyes at me. “So what do you want to do tonight?”

“Sleep.” He sighed. “I just need to think some stuff over.”

“We could have a movie night if you want,” I said, rubbing my nose against his. “And by that I mean fuck each other senseless as a movie plays in the background.”

He giggled. “I’m always up for that.”

“I know you are.” I planted a small kiss on his nose after making sure no one was watching us. “Let’s go find Kris and Tao, okay? Then we’ll go home and our movie party can commence.”

He nodded and we got up before heading outside to the Gucci place. I peeked in the window to see Kris’ arms full and Tao taking things off shelves and placing them on the growing pile.

“Poor Kris.” Chanyeol said. “After today he’ll be bankrupt.” We observed as Kris handed Tao his credit card and paid for each and every last thing in Kris’ arms. They emerged a few minutes later with various shopping bags hanging from their limbs.

Image

CHANYEOL

I had screwed up so bad. Like so bad. I had dressed up like a bird and hid in a tree for nothing. The ring was safely hidden in a drawer next to the bed. I racked my brain, trying to come up with a new plan. The proposal had to be perfect. I needed a plan B.

Baekhyun traced circles on my chest, planting kisses on my neck and jaw every few minutes. “Chanyeol,” He whispered. “Are you sure you’re okay? You’ve been acting weird all day. Did I do something?”

I shook my head as I took his hand and played with his long and soft fingers.

He yawned and closed his eyes, smiling softly. “I love you so much.” He whispered. “Remember that, okay? And if I ever make you upset, tell me.”

I felt my heart rate speed up. “I love you too, Baekhyun.” I looked at the drawer that contained the ring box just a foot away. Slowly I reached over, tugging it open and grabbing the box. He placed a few more kisses on my throat.

“Babe, you’re shaking.” He remarked. I shrugged.

“Just cold, I guess.”

He laughed and closed his eyes again. I opened the box and removed the shiny piece of silver that was his exact finger size. I felt like I was going to explode as I slowly slipped it onto the finger I was playing with.

“Chanyeol, what’s that?” He asked, sitting up and examining his finger carefully.

I took a deep breath and took both of his hands in mine. “I thought about what you said at my sister’s engagement dinner about never being able to get married.” I explained. “And I don’t think that’s true. I’m gonna make it happen, if you’ll let me. I don’t care what people are going to say. I love you and I don’t see any reason not to show it the way other couples do. I’ll make it work.” I gulped and lifted my gaze to his.

“Will you… at least try to marry me?” I asked. He stared at me with tears stuck in his eyes and buried his face in his hands, letting out a loud sob. I threw my arms around him, stroking his back and rocking him back and forth.