Unholy Matrimony

Four

CHANYEOL

He spun around, throwing his arms around my neck. Our eyes met and he pulled my lips against his, kissing me softly. I tangled my fingers in his hair, smiling against his mouth. The smell of our laundry detergent clung to him. Finally he pulled away and I rested my forehead against his, watching his eyelashes flutter against his cheeks. “Wait, Chanyeol… your parents still don’t know that you… that you’re…” He trailed off after reminding me of one slight problem.

I nodded, remembering that I had never officially come out to my parents. As far as they knew, Baekhyun and I were just best friends and I had wet dreams about girl groups. I sighed and looked at the ground, wondering how exactly I would break this news to them.

“We’ll just tell it like it is. I’m their son. They have to accept me. Plus, I’d say it’s obvious that I never was interested in the girls they brought over.” I nodded confidently, flashing him a smile. He laughed and hugged me tightly, planting another kiss on my lips.

“I’ll be right there with you, Chanyeol. And I always will be, okay?” He looked up at me, his eyes swimming with tears again. I nodded and held him close.

“And I promise to always be there for you, too.” I replied, picking him up effortlessly and carrying him down the stairs and back to our dorm room where we spent the night building pillow-forts and scribbling pictures of what we wanted our wedding to be like.

Image

“Do I look okay? Is it smudged or…?” Baekhyun turned to me after putting his eyeliner on. He looked back into the mirror, fixing his hair and adjusting his shirt. “I’m just so nervous for this.” He put his hands on the bathroom counter, biting his lip. I nodded in agreement and hugged him from behind.

“You look sexy, as usual. Why are you nervous?” I questioned, kissing his cheek.

“Because coming out is a huge thing. Like when I first confessed to you. I threw up twice afterwards.”

“I know, I was there.” I giggled. “Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.”

I turned him around and wrapped my arms around him, pecking his lips as Tao walked in. “Why do you guys look so fancy?” He muttered, turning on the shower. His bored expression suddenly became worried. “Shit, are we going somewhere? Am I supposed to look nice? No one said anything to me. I hate looking nice.”

“Calm your ass, Tao.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Tonight we’re going to dinner with Chanyeol’s parents and he’s going to break the news to them. Aren’t you, baby?” Baekhyun cooed, pushing some of my hair back. Tao nodded slowly, obviously not caring much. He stripped down quickly and stepped into the shower and Baekhyun and I said goodbye to Kris before walking down to the restaurant, saying nothing and holding each other’s hands as if our lives depended on it.

My parents sat there at a table, looking at a menu. Baekhyun and I sat down and exchanged the regular parent-child greeting small talk. My mom pinched Baek’s cheek the way she had been doing for years and asked how his mother was doing, as usual. I felt the butterflies in my stomach as I looked at him, my best friend and future husband. Seeing my parents joke and play with him made me even surer that I needed to have him by my side forever. The dim lighting in the room made his skin seem to glow, and every time he laughed I felt myself blush.

Halfway through the meal, my mom looked up at us. “So Eun Bi’s wedding is next week. You guys will be there, right? Or do you guys have a heavy workload with school and everything?” She asked in between sips of red wine. I nodded and held Baekhyun’s hand under the table, slipping him a small smile. He laughed softly.

“Yeah, we’ll be there.” Baekhyun replied, taking a forkful of noodles and feeding it to me. I flashed him a loving smile and poked his nose softly. “I’m so happy for her.” He exclaimed, winking at me.

I took that as a signal. Carefully I gripped his hand under the table, looking deeply into his eyes before nodding and looking at my parents. “Mom, Dad… I have an announcement, actually.” I took a deep breath and looked at them slowly. They stared at me expectantly and I knew that it had to happen now. I gulped and opened my mouth to speak.

“I’m getting married, too.” I announced slowly, looking over at Baekhyun, who was bright red and smiling brightly. “To someone I really love.”

My mom smiled at me, glancing at my father. He nodded at me, grinning ear to ear. “What’s her name?” He asked.

“Actually…” I began to explain, but was cut off by my mother’s eyes widening as she looked at something behind me.

“Is that Luhan?” She asked. I looked and, sure enough, Luhan was behind us, his arm slung around Sehun’s shoulders. I nodded at her. “Who’s that boy with him?”

“That’s his boyfriend, Sehun.” I explained.

She raised an eyebrow. “What was that? Boyfriend…” She trailed off. “That is utterly disgusting.” My father nodded in agreement, grimacing at them.

At that moment, I felt my face grow warm and my stomach flip. I let Baekhyun’s hand drop, and looked down at my food, feeling my eyes fill up with burning tears. Baekhyun tried to grab my hand back, but I snatched it away, feeling horrible and ridiculous and hated. Before I could even say anything, my dreams had been shattered before my eyes.

“Anyway, so who is the girl you’re getting married to?” My dad tried to pick up where we left off. I glanced up at Baekhyun, who was staring at me desperately. I gulped.

“Just… this girl… in my biology class.” I lied, looking away. “Um, Baek and I actually have a test to study for. We’ll talk more about details later.” I said, grabbing my jacket and saying goodbye. Baekhyun followed me out, keeping his eyes on the ground and not saying a single word to me.