Discovery

Prologue

The sound of a phone ringing broke the silence.

“It’s the lab.” Peter pressed the green button and put the phone up to his ear. “Hello.”

“Hello, Peter” said the conniving voice of Dr. Martinez, “I have excellent news. News that will change the very cour-”

“Cut to it!” Peter snapped, he had always despised Dr. Martinez. His arrogant and snobby nature had always gotten on his nerves, not to mention his tendency to elongate a simple sentence into a small novel.

Dr. Black seemed to shuffle the phone in his hand and then continued in a darker voice then before. Peter knew he didn’t like him much either.

“It appears that at approximately 1700 hours, our time, subject 4 showed sign of ability. We will begin testing all subjects immediately. The machine is almost configured and subject one will be arriving shortly. I will call you closer to that time to inform you where he will appear, sir.”

Peter was in absolute shock. “Thank you Doctor.” He managed to say before the phone sounded with the familiar hang up tone.

“What was that about?” Renae, Peter’s sister, asked from across the room.

“It’s started” were the only words Peter uttered.

Peter picked up his phone and looked across the room to Renae, his fingers poised over the keypad.
“Do you want to inform him, or shall I?” he asked.

“You’re the favourite Pete, you do it”

Peter smiled and shook his head as he dialed in the numbers on his phone. It began to ring.

“After all these years I can’t believe they’re finally ready” said Renae, a hint of excitement that was normally non-existent in her voice was present.

A deep voice came out of the phone, “Hello.”

“Hello Mr. President,” said Peter, “there’s been a development with Project Potare.”

“Pete, you know you can call me dad. Now tell me what’s happened, have you made a break through with the serum?”

“Even better father, the subjects are becoming active. We will finally be able to synthesize the chemical and create the serum.” Peter’s voice was high with excitement.

“That’s excellent news!” replied the President of The United States, “You may have any recourses you need during the process.”

“Thank you father.”

“I must go now Pete. Give my love to your sister and good luck, not that you’ll need it.” After the Presidents encouraging words he hung up, the room lurching into silence.

“Is the extraction room ready?” Peter asked his sister.

“Yes.”

“Subject One is on its way and soon we will have the serum.” Peter’s voice had returned to its low monotone.

Renae smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Renae was originally named Amelia, so if you see Amelia written anywhere please tell me and I'll change it :)