Discovery

Over There

Dr. Martinez entered the room sometime later and walked to the chair, his face plastered with a switchblade smile. He began tinkering with the strange machine to Jake’s right whilst humming a tune Jake found familiar.

“What are you doing?” Jake asked. He had tried to mask the fear in his voice but he guessed from the doctors widened smile that he had failed.

“The blood test results were conclusive. The serum is active and has not bonded yet. Subject 13 is ready for extraction.”

He may well have spoken gibberish and Jake would be none the wiser.

“What serum?” He asked, and then the more pressing question: “what do you mean by extraction?”

The doctor just smiled and said, “You’ll see.”

Jake was worried. He was 17 years old and he felt completely powerless. He felt like crying. He had no idea of what was about to happen to him but he knew it was going to be bad.

He watched the doctor attach electrodes to his head and chest and hook clear tubes with needles on the ends into both his forearms. He struggled against the restraints holding him down but they weren't budging anytime soon. The clear tubes hooked up to the machine which Dr. Martinez was now fiddling with.

The doctor stood up quickly and then looked at Jake, “this will only hurt a lot.” He said and then flicked a switch on the side of the machine that was facing away from Jake.

Pain pierced the backs of his eyes on his fingertips almost immediately. Excruciating. Crippling. Like thousands upon thousand of daggers attacking his body. And the pain was slowly spreading, consuming his whole body like a wave. An ocean of pain, afflicting every receptor.

He almost passed out but he was unable to. Something was stopping him from letting the pain wash over him so he could retreat into nothingness.

He had no idea what though because his thoughts were scattered, his mind fragmented.

He heard the whirring of the strange machine doing its job next to him. An evil contraption. He knew this was the machine causing him this unimaginable pain. It’s metal soul filled with a malice unrivaled.

Even though the pain was still unbearable Jake could tell it was beginning to lessen. The weight pressing down on his chest lifting as he began to take deep, rattling breaths. The thousands of knives retracting from his body.

Jake was as pale as a ghost and when Dr. Black finally switched the machine off he welcomed that blackness of sleep and fell into its eternal depths.