Junkie

Junkie

She let out a long, audible sigh as she struggled to zip close her old, battered, brown suitcase. How much stuff could one girl need for a three day visit to her family? The suitcase was full of long-sleeved shirts, hoodies and anything that could cover her arms for the visit. She didn't need the disapproving glances, the loud irritating tutting of the relatives she despised. Relatives who turned the other cheek to her father's physical and metal abuse; who turned a blind eye to her mother's steadily increasing drinking habit. A twelve year old girl shouldn't have to put up with such things, shouldn't be the one who tried to keep her family together but when she spoke up nobody cared enough to listen. Oh, but they'd 'care' all about her during the holidays. That magical time of year when family try their hardest to forget all the normal shit that happens throughout the rest of year and pretend to love each other. They'd all sit around the big table for Christmas Dinner and play happy families.

She had enough to last the trip. She'd done unspeakable things to get it but Bethany needed it now more than ever. She didn't even want to think about what it would be like for three days without it, especially with her family around. There was no way she'd cope. Bethany stood at the edge of her bed having lovely visions of attacking her family with the knife used to carve the turkey with a slightly maniacal smile on her face. Shaking herself from her daydream she picked up her suitcase and decided it was time to leave. She'd have to face this sooner or later. But maybe, one more before she hit the road. To make the trip go faster; there was no rush on her being there anyway. They probably wouldn't notice if she didn't show up at all. She pulled open the zip on her suitcase and hurriedly unpacked her stuff suddenly desperate to find the small little package. Of course it was were she'd left it, hidden beneath two long sleeve tops and a jumper. Taking the little, brown papered package and a belt she made her way to the bathroom. The tiny, white tiled room was the only room in her house clean. Well, she needed it to be hygienic, didn't she?

She sunk to the floor her black against the cold tiles and carefully opened the package. The rest of the equipment needed was already here; spoons,syringes and lighters secretly hidden in drawers and cabinets most people used for toiletries. Taking the drug and the other paraphernalia needed she cooked her fix. Syringe ready and waiting she wrapped the belt around her right arm and tapped to get the vein to become clearer. Most of her veins were damaged and this was the hardest bit. Finally a nice, big blue vein became clear and she put the syringe to her skin. Pushing down hard on the plunger she let out a long moan as the drug reached her bloodstream. All she felt was ecstasy and for the first time in weeks she could stop thinking about her family. Maybe she wouldn't turn up for Christmas at all.