Status: Complete

Small World.

The Prom

I stepped out of a black limousine in front of the prom venue. I was wearing a pale, yet vibrant, long blue dip hem dress with black heeled brogues - which were the only reason my dress wasn't on the floor - a clutch and simple jewellery. I was followed by my friends as I showed my ticket and gained entrance to the prom room. We had a meal then were told the music would now be played and ran onto the dance floor with my friends to dance (badly).

"We're going to take a short break now and we will be back soon." John's voice rang through the microphone as they climbed off the stage and discarded their instruments.

"Why don't you go ask Mr Hot Stuff to dance?" Aimee suggested and some slow songs came over the speakers. "Because he's 18 and I'm 15, he's in a band and I'm the weird girl! Need I go on?" I shifted my weight.

"Hey H." Jenny called, causing me to stare at her. "I dare you to ask them to dance." I could see the mischievous glint in her eye and bit my lip. "Fine." I huffed "How's my hair?" I pushed my golden locks backwards.

"Fine! Now go!" Jenny laughed. I crossed my fingers and made eye contact with all of the girls before walking over to where the band was stood.

"Hello." I smiled up at them. What was I doing?

"Erm Hi," John scratched his elbow and the other nodded or smiled.

"I'm Hope, and I was just wondering if any of you wanted a dance?" I bit my lip and glanced at the floor.

"Sure." a hand came into view without a seconds hesitation. "But don't you have a boyfriend?" Garrett asked.

"Look." I pointed over my shoulder. "They are monkeys in suits! How any girl can like them is beyond me." I rolled my eyes. "Besides, nobody asked me."

"Let's go then, " he smiled. I placed my small hand carefully in his large, callused one and let him lead me onto the dance floor. "Some girl asked us to dance earlier and we said no, but you seem cool." he informed me and we both laughed as we found a space. "You'll have to excuse me." he laughed nervously "I'm not very good at dancing!"

"Oh shit." I laughed then looked at Garrett's questioning glance. "I got told by a dance instructor that I should never dance, so I haven't danced seriously since I was about 6?" "Oh god. Well we didn't plan this too well." he slid his arms around my waist, while I reached mine around his neck.

"So, your 16?" he asked after a few short moments.

"Tomorrow." I admitted "my birthday is on the 4th." I blushed lightly.

"We call that independence day where I come from!" He laughed and I felt his warm breath blow over my hair.

"They do where I come from too." I smirked.

"You're American?" he asked and I nodded. "Well I'm guessing you already know about me?" I rolled my eyes slowly around the room and bit my lip. "So tell me about you!"

"What do you want to know?" I asked and giggled as he tickled my side.

"Everything!" he blurted out "Your name would be a good start though." he chuckled.

"Ok." I glanced down and gathered my thoughts. "My full name is Hope Freedom James, so called because I was born on the 4th of July in America to American parents. We moved to England when I was 8 because of my dads job. I now live in England and go to gigs as often as I can!" I rolled out as we continued to dance and make small talk.

"Well we'll get back to playing when our bassist decides to join us!" a deep voice called through the microphone and ended mine and Garrett's chat as he blushed.

"I'd better go, I'll catch up with you later maybe?" he asked as he stepped away. "Sure," I nodded as he smiled and darted on stage. I walked back over to my friends with a huge smirk on my face.

"Sometimes guys, I actually like your dares." I averted my attention to the 5 men on stage as I got a drink.

The five boys rolled off stage at the end of their set 11:00. Had a quick word with my headmaster then headed over to where I stood with my friends.

"Hey," Garrett snuck up behind me and popped his head over my shoulder. "Hi," I turned to see him and the other guys then widened our circle to fit them in.

"Do you guys know if there is any cool after party's looking for a free band? Playing slow stuff gets boring eventually. We need to play some party songs!" Pat asked.

"Well, I'm not one to party," my friends laughed and I rolled my eyes "but your having one right Aimee?" I asked the taller girl who nodded.

"Fancy a free band?" Pat smiled at her

"Sure!" she smiled. "but I don't have a stage or anything." She bit her lip.

"It's fine, we can just play from the floor, and we've got our own amps!" Jared smiled at her. "When does it start?"

"We need to leave soon..." Aimee informed him.

"Then we'll load up the van." John smiled.

"Need a hand?" I offered.

"No, but we can give you girls a lift there if you need it? It'll stop us from getting lost!" John laughed.

"Sure." we all smiled. The boys walked away leaving us with a reminder to meet them at the entrance in 15 minutes, so a few songs later we said goodbye and walked outside.

"Who's giving me directions?" John asked from the front of the minibus where he sat alone?

"Shall I?" I asked the girls who nodded then I turned to climb in.

"looks like your stuck with me." I gave John the directions while everybody in the back chatted. By the time we had got there, set up and had the rest of the guests arrive it was 11:48.

I stood in the kitchen with 6 beers as I removed the tops, then walked them over to the band.

"I got you guys drinks!" I smiled and handed them out before walking off into the crowd with my own. A few songs and a few more beers later I had been goofing off when I felt some heavy hands on my shoulders.

"Happy Birthday!" I hoarse voice yelled into my ear. Before I was swung around and kissed gently on the lips for several minutes before I pulled away from the drunk, scruffy man with a blush tinting my cheeks.

"Thank you Garrett"