Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 10

We heard yells and laughter as we got closer to the park. Zach and Nathan were by my side, but Cameron had stuck to his word and stayed home. I'd talked to Tristen a few more times throughout the week and he seemed like a pretty cool guy.
We walked up where they were playing flag football and Tristen greeted us.
"Hey Tom! Hey Zach, Nathan," he added, smiling towards them. "So, ready to join our game? Let's see, we need one person on my team and two on the other... Tom, why don't you join my team and you two stay on this side with the other guys."
"Sounds good," we all said, splitting up into our teams.
We began to play and I started to realize that they played pretty rough. I was shortly covered in mud and grass stains; what with people falling left and right. I shifted my baseball cap so the bill was to the back and got ready for Tristen to start the play. He threw the ball to someone and everything else I could’ve sworn I saw in slow motion. Tristen ran towards Nathan and tackled him flat to the ground, as if he was a third grader. He got up, a slight smile on his face and I saw Nathan, eyes closed, holding his chest in pain, curled up in a ball on the ground. The rest of the play was still going on, but Zach had also noticed. Tristen walked away like nothing had happened. I was disgusted with him!
"NATE!" Zach yelled, running over to see his best friend, while I followed close behind. "Nate, are you okay? Oh geez, you don't look good! What happened?"
He gasped out in pain. "I heard something crack. I'm..." he paused to cough. "...having trouble breathing."
"Okay, hold in there buddy, I'm calling an ambulance!" I said, fumbling for my phone. I dialed the number and after a while an ambulance came, sirens blaring.
They picked Nathan up on a stretcher and took him into the vehicle. We said bye to the guys; Zach and I glared at Tristen and left, climbing into the back of the ambulance as well. We sat down side-by-side and Zach calmly talked to Nathan, who was still in pain.
"Hey, it'll be okay... just hang in there, alright? We'll get'cha there soon enough..." he sighed and leaned against the side of the van. "Wow, Tristen's... interesting," he rolled his eyes. "Idiot."
"Yeah, so much for trying to be his friend!" I exclaimed.
"I'm going to call Heidi and let her know what happened," Zach said, pulling his cell phone out of his pocket and pressing her speed-dial number. "Hey hon, Nate got hurt. We're on our way to the hospital; tell Cam and hurry over."
He talked to her for a few more minutes to settle her down; she was freaking out. I fidgeted with my baseball cap and pulled on my bangs nervously, I did not like seeing Nathan like this. "How are you doing?"
"Could be better, but the pain has turned from sharp to dull."
"So where does it hurt the most?"
"My rib cage."
I sat up to a kneel and peered out the window. I saw we were at the hospital the same moment we started to slow down. Zach put his phone away, the doors were opened up and Nathan was carried out and into the building to the emergency room. We followed and started to walk into his room when a doctor who was walking in as well put his arm out to bring us to a halt.
"I'm sorry boys, but you're going to have to wait until we know what's wrong."
We took a seat in some chairs across the hall from the doorway. A few minutes later Cameron and Heidi, followed by Clarabelle and Michael, burst into the building and ran up to us.
"Is he okay?" they asked in unison.
"You didn't have to bring---," I started.
"I need to know if my buddy's okay! I'm not just gonna wait a city away from here for an answer!" Michael exclaimed.
"Yeah, we're not going to helplessly wait for the results from the sidelines, we wanted to come!" Clarabelle argued.
"Well I'm glad you came, I've missed you a lot lately," I said to Clarabelle. "We only have one class together! That doesn't cut it for me!"
She sat down in my lap and rested her head on my shoulder. "So, what's up with Nathan?"
"We don't know yet," I replied.
"I'm so tempted to go ninja on that door and find out," Michael announced. "You know what I mean, girl?" he asked Heidi, pretending to fling his leg through the door. "Just wanna DO something! No door can keep me away!" he smiled, his dimples forming.
"Bro, I feel you. Just BAM!" Cameron made the same leg motion as the door opened and the doctor almost got kicked in the face. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" he said, his face turning to shock.
"Um, yes, well he broke a few ribs, he'll have to stay for a few days so we can do surgery and he should be fine. So, um, you can go in," the doctor said, still confused as to why he had almost been kicked in the face. He walked away and we all began to crowd into the room.
"Where's Zach?" I questioned, turning around to find Zach in hysterics. He was still laughing about Cameron and the doctor. "Zach, come on," I said, grabbing his arm and leading him in. He was laughing so hard, he shook me as well and I couldn't help but laugh too. My friends always made me smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe! (=