Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 11

Heidi was in the kitchen painting when the doorbell rang. She opened the door and I heard her talking to whoever was there. She walked into the living room where I sat on the couch and said, "Someone's here to see you. I think it's the kid that hurt Nathan, he said his name's Tristen."
I sighed, "God, what does he want now?"
I walked over to the front door and walked out onto my front porch, where Tristen was sitting, waiting for me. I sat down on the steps next to him.
"Why are you here? I tried to keep the disgust out of my voice.
"Look, I'm really sorry about what happened. I swear I didn't mean to actually hurt him, I didn't think I was going to hurt him! I was just caught up in the game!" he said all of this in a rush and smoothed down his blond hair nervously.
"Okay, but I still think we should drop the whole 'friends' thing. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but you're not really my type."
"Come on Tom, please? I really want to be your friend, you seem amazing! Whatever I did to make you dislike me, I'm sorry! And I'm not usually so desperate like this; only if the person's really awesome, which you are! Just give me one more chance, I swear I won't ruin it!" he looked at me pleadingly. "...And if I do, y-you can make me do whatever you want for a day! I don't care, just please give me another chance!"
I honestly kind of felt sorry for the guy. "Okay, but only ONE chance."
He nodded. "Okay, thank you bro, you're the best! See you on Monday," he added, getting in his car and driving away.
Heidi was staring at me through the doorway when I turned around. She slowly shook her head and walking away she said, "You made a bad choice Tom. Don't say I didn't warn you."
"Oh, so you're siding with Cameron too?" I said, anger beginning to course through me as I followed her. And much to the surprise of both Heidi and I, I began to yell.
"WHY DOESN'T ANYONE RESPECT MY DECISIONS, HUH? EVERYTHING I DO! IT'S ALWAYS, 'TOM, WHY'D YOU DO THAT?' OR 'TOM, THAT WASN'T THE RIGHT CHOICE!' PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS SAYING, 'YOU SHOULD BE MORE LIKE ZACH!' OR 'THAT'S NOT WHAT NATHAN OR CAMERON OR MICHAEL WOULD DO!' SO MAYBE IT'S NOT?! SO WHAT IF I'M NOT ZACH PORTER?! DEAL WITH IT!" Now that I had started I couldn't stop.
"EVERYONE PAYS ATTENTION TO ZACH AND CAMERON AND NATHAN AND MICHAEL, BUT NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO ME! HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL?!" I was now voicing what I had been thinking about for a long time now. Heidi stood there, expressionless, taking it like the girl she is.
"I'VE HAD TO SUFFER THROUGH THIS CRAP FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, BUT I'VE NEVER SAID ANYTHING! IT HAS HURT ME, DEFINITELY, BUT I HAVE NOT SAID A WORD! IF I DIED TOMORROW, I DOUBT ANYONE WOULD NOTICE!" I turned around and walked back outside, storming down the street with anger and adrenaline pumping through me. Where I was going; I had no idea.
I turned left down streets a few times, maybe right; I don't remember. Whatever way I did turn though, I ended up at Clarabelle's house. She was in her yard, turning the sprinklers on. She saw me and waved, walking up to me. She noticed my angry expression and my eyes that were beginning to water.
"Tom, what's wrong?" her happy expression turned to concern.
"Do you care about me?" I asked, my voice coming out more emotional than I thought it would.
"Tom... what's going on?"
"Just answer me, please."
"Of course I do! What makes you think I don't?! I love you!"
My eyes started fogging up. "I feel like crap today! I'm sick of people paying more attention to my friends then to me."
She held my face in her hands and pressed her lips to mine. It was slow and meaningful and I knew she hated seeing me like this. She let go slowly.
"How about now?"
All I could do was hug her.
"...I love you," I whispered into her ear.
Suddenly I had an idea. "I'm going to go write a song, I'll talk to you later."
I set off to Nathan's to find my keyboard. I had been playing it for a few months now and now I played it for our band instead of the guitar. When I got to his garage, I typed in the usual code and went into the garage where all of our band stuff was set up for practice. Nathan was tuning his guitar and he smiled at me.
"What up, bro?"
"I'm gonna write a song."
"Sounds good."
I messed around with some keys and figured out a few lyrics.
"They say we're crazy, that doesn't matter! You were the best thing; thank God I have her!"
I stopped for a second and found Nathan watching me.
"...Yeah?"
"Oh, nothing! I just think it's great!" he said. "Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. Mind if I add guitar to it?"
"Sure! Do your thing!"

Heidi called me saying Tom had yelled at her. Saying people paid more attention to me. He had brought my name up? Now I feel bad! I didn't mean to take his spotlight or anything! I didn't mean to do ANYTHING, just live my life! I feel like crap now, he brought my name up... he said people compared him to me... I know he didn't mean some of those things, but I still feel like a horrible friend!
"...Yeah and Zach, I don't know where he went!" she said, worry in her tone.
"Okay, well hon, I'll come over and hang with you until he cools off or comes home or whatever. Give me a few minutes."
"Thank you so much!"
I smiled and hung up the phone. I packed my cameras and a few more props into my car. I had a school project and we had to create a movie that showed a unique way of how two people fell in love. When I heard that I thought ‘oh no, I’m not creative at all, how will I ever come up with something?' So I thought I'd run this by Heidi and see what she thought. She's more creative, she'll think of something amazing.
When I had all of my essentials, I drove to Heidi’s house. Rolling into the driveway, she came out of the house and practically yanked me out of my car so she could hug me. I didn't mind though, but geez, I didn't know she was so strong!
"So I have this project..." I began explaining the project to her and when I finished, she smiled.
"I have an idea!"
"Great, I was hoping you would, because if you didn't we would have a problem."
"Okay, we're going to need a laundry basket, your car, some more clothes and part of it's going to take place in the laundromat down the street." she then went into detail about everything else and I loved the idea! I was fairly positive I was going to get an A. We memorized our few lines, put everything in place and filmed the movie.
♠ ♠ ♠
That last part was based on a Youtube video I saw with Zach from a while back haha so I decided to incorporate it just because, even though that's not really how I picture Heidi. Feel free to watch the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYMa8q0_F0o haha I think you guys will enjoy it. Comment and subscribe, please and thanks! (= (Merry Christmas!)