Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 12

I was washing up in the bathroom when Tristen walked in. He walked up behind me and cracked his knuckles, saying, "Hi Cameron, want to play a game?" He turned me around and started beating the crap out of me. He slammed me into the wall and I felt my nose crack. Yep, definitely broken. I tried to say something, but he punched me in the stomach and the wind was knocked clear out of me. He strangled me against the wall and I felt as if I was going to die. I couldn't breathe and I'm pretty sure my circulation was cut off, because my head felt like it was going to explode clear off my neck. I was going to die... right there in the men's bathroom I was going to die and no one else would find out until it was too late...
Tristen yelled across the room. "IF YOU EVEN DARE TELLING THE POLICE THAT I---"
I twitched in my sleep and smacked my head on the wall. BANG! I awoke with a start. I rubbed my sore head and realized I was drenched in sweat. I took my gray undershirt off and sat there, breathing heavily.
I'd been having this reoccurring dream and it was always the same. I was so mad because I always woke up before he said what not to tell the police!
Crap! I realized. I'm late for practice! Not AGAIN, they're going to kill me!
I quickly combed my hair, making sure it was perfectly messy and strung my green bass across my back.

When I showed up at Nate's, I was indeed the last one.
"He lives!" Nate exclaimed, thunking me on the back.
"Yep... so has anyone made a new song or thought of an idea?" I inquired. Every time we had practice I always hoped there would be new songs. It's what I live for. Hearing the unfamiliar beat of the bass just made me happy, because I knew we were getting somewhere. I knew we had one more song than last time and we might be able to make an EP.
"Not this time, sorry Cam," Zach said, taking out his mic.
"Hey Mr. Cameron Q.!" Michael greeted me happily.
Man, I don't know what we'd do without Michael; he's the one that keeps us cheerful! Then there's Nathan, who keeps us hyper, Zach, who keeps us sane and Tom, who keeps us from doing anything stupid. Me? I'm not too sure... you'll have to ask the guys.
I started to tune; the notes from each song appearing in my head as I did so. I'm ready, let's do this!
When Michael, Tom and Nathan were finally done messing around with their instruments, the garage became silent and then we all broke into the beginning of Journey.
"...Save my friends so they don't get hurt!" I shouted into my mic, when it was my turn.
We ended the song, but I still had a lot of adrenaline.
"Submarine Warfare," Zach said, as we got ready for the next song. "Tom, this song is awesome by the way!"
"Thanks," Tom replied, as he grinned over his keyboard. "So I'm singing it?"
Zach nodded and we started the song.
"...Get up... Isn't she sweet? She's like an old flare sparkin' and I'm down in the sheets... It's time, to bring it around, it's the first time over so we got to get down... get up!"
He continued singing and I joined in at the chorus, along with Zach and Nathan.
"...I don't believe it's going somewhere... head over heels like submarine warfare... maybe this time you'll rethink your reasons and there's no control all over these feelings!"

Later that day the words rang in my head as I grabbed my surfboard and we all drove to the beach. We were really going somewhere... which reminds me!
"Hey Tom!" I said, looking over at him, sitting in the backseat. "We should compete in the talent show this year! We could definitely win it, we have so many good songs and you guys are all so talented!"
Zach nearly swerved off the road.
"AHH!" Heidi screamed from the passenger seat, holding on to the dashboard for dear life. "What's so bad about the talent show?!?!"
"Nothing, I mean, it's just..." Zach gulped. "Cam, come on, you know I don't like singing in front of more than about five people!"
"Well it won't be that bad and you're so good! People have to hear you!"
We all got out of the car, as we arrived at the beach. Zach walked around the vehicle and faced me, exasperated.
"Keep dreaming Cam, it's not gonna happen." And with that being said, Zach ran out to the water with his surfboard, sand flew in my face and Heidi ran after him.
"ZACH! Come back, we can..." she said, her voice getting drowned out by the waves as she ran farther away.
"Sorry Cameron..." Nathan trailed off. He headed toward the ocean with Michael, who stared at me sadly.
Tom came up to me. "If it makes you feel any better, I think we should too."
"It doesn't even matter, I'm always the one who brings up ideas that are crap and no one cares and everyone thinks I'm stupid for thinking it's possible. Zach's probably right... if we do this it's just going to give us all big heads and we're going to think this is actually going to happen. I just... I'm too positive I guess," I smiled sadly. "I believe in the impossible."
"And I believe you're wrong," he replied simply.

As Zach stormed off toward the sea, I ran after him, pleading with him once I had caught up.
"Honey, you should try this! I know you don't feel like you can do it, but you can! Zach," I grabbed his arm before he went into the water, "you have the most beautiful voice in the world. You have to share it with everyone."
"Heidi, I know you want me to, but another reason I don't want to is because I don't want to lose you. If we got bigger, I wouldn't have as much time for you."
I shook my head.
"Yes, you will. Don't worry about me, worry about yourself."
He sighed and picked me up, setting me down on his surfboard as it floated in the water.
"Fine... but only because you want me to."
I smiled; I knew he would give in eventually.
I kissed him on the nose and said, "Show me some of your sweet surfing moves, boy!"
He laughed.
"I don't think you want to; I suck!"
"Hon, I've seen you dance, it can't be much worse than that."
He cracked up.
"True..."
He paddled out on his board and I watched, walking back to shore. He caught a wave and stayed on for a few seconds, before he came crashing down into the water. I laughed and as a girl walked up to me and questioned if he was my boyfriend, I replied:
"Yes, that’s my boyfriend. He’s a singer in a growing band."
♠ ♠ ♠
So are you guys liking it? Comment and subscribe(=