Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 14

I walked in the house and passed a hand-held mirror, sitting on the island in our kitchen. I looked in it, something I hadn't done in a while. I looked horrible, I really was a lot skinnier and I looked worn down. Tears began to fall, as I stood there staring at myself. What happened to me? Why was my life so messed up? Why did EVERYTHING happen to ME? I'm the one that had to start smoking... my friends and sister have gotten bullied... I barely ever see my dad... I punched my sister... now my friends hate me...
There is always something wrong. Why?
I need to stop smoking. Not eventually, not after tomorrow, I need to stop now. Step number one: Get rid of the reason it all started; Tristen.
So, with the others at the hospital, I grabbed my skateboard and skated down to his neighborhood. Before leaving, I had made sure to throw out all of my cigarettes and even though I was still craving them, I was determined to stop. The fresh air whipped past me and it had never felt so good... freshness filling my lungs instead of crap...
I reached his doorstep and rang the bell, as I fidgeted with my baseball cap.
Tristen opened the door and smiled at me, holding a cigar.
"Hey! I'm home alone right now, want to come in and have some beer?"
"Nope, I'm done with your shit. Goodbye."
I laughed as his face fell.
And just like that, I left him standing on his doorstep. I kicked off on my skateboard again; heading back to my house. God, it felt great to have him out of my life!
I got home and sat on my porch, texting Clarabelle. I told her what I had been going through the past two weeks and she said she would be over soon. With my head throbbing horribly from not having a smoke for over twelve hours, I got up and went to lie down on the couch. After a few minutes I felt the urge to throw up, so I went to the bathroom and Clarabelle came in after a while, where I sat hunched over the toilet seat.
"Feeling like crap?" she asked.
I nodded. "It's the worst feeling ever."
"I'll go get you some aspirin, pretzel sticks and a water bottle."
"Pretzel sticks?"
"They'll take place of your cigars."
I love her, she always somehow knows just what to do.
When she came back she gave me the pill and then helped me brush my teeth to get the disgusting taste of half-digested food out of my mouth. Then we sat down next to each other on the bathroom floor.
We sat there a bit before I said, "The guys all hate me."
"Don't worry, they'll come around. I mean, you got rid of Tristen, you're trying to stop smoking and already your attitude's getting better? Definitely," she smiled. "Nothing is forever."
"Everything happens to me... It's always me..."
We sat there in silence for a few minutes, until she spoke.
"Yeah, bad stuff happens to all of us from time to time... We try to avoid it or attempt to get out of whatever it is or we try to ignore it and hope it'll somehow just magically disappear... But sometimes we can't... Sometimes, we just have to face those obstacles."
She smiled at me sadly, then leaned in and gave me a slow, meaningful kiss. I closed my eyes, so grateful that there was someone in this world that still loved me, that knew how crappy of a world it can be. I knew right then that no matter what happened, I would always have her. She would always be there in my times of deepest need; when I felt like I was living in Hell.
After we broke away, I held her in a hug. You may not believe me, but I didn't let go until the guys got back, three hours later.
Michael walked into the bathroom and not expecting to see two people sitting on the floor, he nearly had a heart attack.
"HOLY F…UDGESTICKS!" he yelled, jumping about two feet in the air. He stood there awkwardly. "I-Is it okay if I use the toilet?"
"Yeah sure, sorry, Tom's not feeling well," Clarabelle said, helping me up as we walked out.
We walked into the living room and found the others there; Heidi had gauze wrapped around her nose, showing no sign of caring that I was there, Cameron looked at me and quickly looked away and Nathan smiled at Clarabelle, completely ignoring me. Zach, however, greeted us both.
"Hey! You two want to sit down here?" he asked, motioning towards the couch.
"It's fine, we'll sit on the ground," Clarabelle replied, as we sat down in front of the couch.
"How are you doing Tom?" he questioned me. At the same moment there was movement.
"I'm gonna go work on a painting," Heidi announced, leaving the room.
"I should probably go home; I have to get started on dinner. I promised the fam I would make something tonight," Nathan declared, getting up. "See you guys later," he added, avoiding eye contact with me.
"...I should probably go too," Cameron said hesitantly. He got up and walked to the door. Before he walked out, he gave me a small smile.
Clarabelle got up, telling me she was going to go make me some soup for dinner. I thanked her, then got up to sit next to Zach on the couch.
"Thanks for asking," I gave him a small smile, as Michael came back in the room, sitting down next to us. "I'm doing better, I went and got rid of that idiot and I haven't smoked at all today."
"Where did the guys go?" Michael questioned, confused.
"Home," I said, annoyance drifting out on that single word.

I walked into the dining room, thankful to be away from Tom. I opened my acrylic paint and began working on my easel that was already set up. I jabbed my brush in the paint and started to work, not sure what I would make.
My nose twinged with pain and I became upset all over again. How could he do something like that and not tell his friends or me? It was obviously bothering him, why didn't he say something?! I would've helped him! Under normal circumstances, I would forgive him, but once he has physically abused me, there is no way I'm giving in easily.
I huffed my black bangs out of my face.
I don't care who you are, I don't tolerate this kind of behavior. If you mess with me, you're gonna get it.
I got up, figuring I'd talk to Tom about it. I walked into the living room where he was sitting talking to Zach and Michael.
"Tom, I'd like to talk to you outside," I said, firmly.
He hesitated before following me outside. I waited until he had fully closed the door before rounding on him.
"Tom, why wouldn't you tell someone about this? How could you let Tristen do this to you, HOW COULD YOU GIVE HIM A SECOND CHANCE?" I inquired, becoming angry quicker than lightning. "YOU SCREWED YOUR LIFE UP TOM AND PUNCHING ME ISN'T GOING TO GET ME TO HELP YOU FIX IT! YOU THINK I'M GOING TO HELP DIG YOU OUT OF THIS MESS, AFTER YOU TREATED ME POORLY?! Well," I chuckled coldly. "…you're on your own."
"I didn't need your help Heidi, IF YOU WOULD’VE STAYED IN THE LIVING ROOM YOU MIGHT HAVE FOUND OUT A THING OR TWO!" he exclaimed. "I did get rid Tristen, I haven't smoked since yesterday even though it makes me feel sick not to and let me tell you, if you aren't going to forgive me, I don't give a crap! You're just making your own life worse! You always act like if you weren't around, I wouldn't be able to survive! You act like you're the older, more responsible one! You act like you have to take care of me, but guess what Heidi?! YOU DON'T! Who do you think you are?! Mom?!"
I walked back inside, furious. He followed me.
"Maybe if you were as kindhearted as your boyfriend, you'd be able to set aside your own physical pain and forgive me," he said, ruthlessly.
I had had enough. I didn’t say a word as I walked to my room, eyes burning.