Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 4

This year has gone fast and it's time for graduation. My mom forced me to go to the mall with her to buy an outfit. Luckily, Heidi came along as well.
"Come on," she whispered, as our mom was walking into a store. "Now's our chance to lose her!"
She pulled me away from the store and led me to the game room. I honestly don't know what I'd do without her. It's almost like we're twins sometimes.
"So, do you have a girlfriend?" she questioned as we went to get our tokens.
"No," I answered truthfully. We also told each other everything. "But I don't really have time anyway."
"Do you like anyone?"
I pondered the question. There were some good looking girls at this school, but none really popped out at me. "No."
"No?! Wow, bro... wow..."
"What? It's not like that's essential!" I said, annoyed at this point. She looked at me in surprise; I had raised my voice. "Sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you. I'm just annoyed I had to come here. I don't care about graduation."
"Well, let's make coming here worthwhile. Want to play this motorcycle game?" she asked, hopping onto a motorcycle.
"Prepare to lose, little sis!"

She beat me.
My cell rang and I picked it up to hear my mother's angry voice.
"Where are you two?!"
"Well... we kind of took a detour..." Heidi smiled at me. She mouthed the words 'I'll handle it' to me and grabbed the phone.
"Yeah Mom, sorry. I just passed a store and saw this really cute outfit for him. We're about to buy it; meet you back at the car." She hung up, we walked out of the game room and passing a clothes shop, we walked in.
"Uhh... how are we going to find this in like five minutes?"
"Just come on." We passed some clothes. "Here," she grabbed a white shirt buttoned up shirt, some black skinny jeans and a black tie. "Just wear this."
I have to admit, Heidi has good taste in guy clothes. Making sure they were my size, I paid for the outfit and we left before my mom could get suspicious.

How did graduation go? It was... interesting... So first off, some girl in our grade gave a speech… She was sort of walking around on stage and she tripped and fell off the stage, which resulted in the podium crashing down on some poor lady and both had to be quickly escorted to Urgent Care.
When our diplomas were being passed out, our principal accidentally smacked some kid in the face. He ran off the stage sobbing and insisting no one liked him. We stifled our laughter.
Let's not even mention the dance.
Point is, we were pretty much laughing the whole time.

"Summertime!" Cameron yelled, flinging his backpack onto the grass and sitting down on the school steps. "Give me a minute, I need to feel the sun's warmth."
"That sounds pretty nice right now," I said, sitting down beside him. I took my baseball cap off and let the sun warm my head. We sat there for a few minutes without a care in the world.
"Hey you lazy boys, sometime in the next century!" Zach's voice broke through.
"Okay. Let's go swim at my place!" Cameron hopped up.

"Zach, are you gonna come in the water?" Nathan questioned, as Zach scribbled something out of his notebook.
"Maybe later... I'm trying to write a song for the summer." He sighed. "Cannot come up with anything!"
"Well then come in!" Nathan splashed him with water. "You've got plenty of time for that later."
Heidi walked in with another girl. "Hey bro!" she smiled at me. "Bro's friends," she nodded at them. "This is my good friend Claire and we've come to crash your swim party."
"Joy."
She laughed and plummeted into the water nearly on top of me. After receiving a mouthful of water, I dunked her under.
"You jerk!" she screamed.
Everyone else got in and it became a full-on war. Everyone against everyone else. Zach hit me with a tidal wave and I ran out and cannonballed Nathan. We ended once Zach, Claire and Nathan all got bloody noses. They ran and got Kleenex, laughing the whole way.

After a few months of swimming, practicing songs and doing pretty much nothing else, we were going to high school. I did not know what to expect, but I was more confident this year. No moving and I some stable friends.
Zach met me about a block from my house.
"You got your hat?"
"Zach, you should know I never part with it."
"Yeah, that was a stupid question... Anyway, I have the sunglasses and Cameron and Nathan are at school waiting."
Confused? Zach, Cam, Nathan and I had decided to make an 'entrance' into high school. We were going to walk in, acting like we own the place. We're mostly doing it for laughs, I mean, since when do freshmen of all people rule high school? Exactly. They don't.

We got to school quicker, since the high school was closer than the middle school. Glancing around Zach and I found Cam and Nathan. They were gazing at the school in awe.
"Guys, this is amazing," Nathan said, grabbing his pair of shades he would be wearing.
The school was awesome. It had two floors and there was an outside courtyard to walk to and from classes in. Far bigger than the middle school; no comparison! I placed my shades over my ears, turning my world a darker hue of colors and stood there in amazement.
With our shades and caps on, we walked towards the entrance, people staring at us the whole way. I laughed, seeing the annoyed seniors looking at us while people from our grade were cheering.
"The freshmen have arrived!" Nathan exclaimed, trying his best not to laugh his head off.
Fail. We opened the door and burst out in uncontrollable laughter.
We took our stuff off and walked to our lockers. I headed to my first class with Cameron. We passed a flyer for a talent show starting in a week.
"Do you think we should try out for that?" Cameron asked me.
"I don't know... I'm afraid of playing in front of people."
...If only I'd done it that year, then I would have remembered something important and I could've lived the dream, at least for a little while. But unknowingly, that would never come true.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe! (=