Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 6

I woke up in a hospital bed. Looking over at a digital clock, I noticed it was morning. Apparently I'd slept all night, but I have no clue how I passed out.
As I was looking around the empty room, Heidi's face appeared in the window. The second she noticed that I was awake, she ran in.
"Hey you, you scared me yesterday," she said, sitting down.
"Why'd I pass out, do you know?"
"Low blood pressure, I guess. The doctor said you could easily fix that by coming to get some shot that keeps it level. You have to do that every week for about two months until it will be fine. He did say though, that if you pass out again, he'll have to re-inspect you, but that probably won't happen."
I untensed.
The guys, realizing I was okay, came in as well.
"You came out alive I see," Nathan noted.
I raised my fist into the air and he pounded it.
"Hey, bro," Zach said, ruffling my hair, like he always does.
"Tommy boy, what am I going to do with you?" Cameron smiled. "Michael had to get back home, but he was waiting to see you until about two hours ago. He was sorry he couldn't stay to boost your swag when you got up."
"We'll get you out of here, don't worry," Heidi added, with a wink; as the doctor walked in.

On the way back to the house, we rode in the car, music blaring. Heidi sat in the front seat next to my mom, Nathan and Cam in the middle and I sat in the back with Zach. Ahh, the refreshing breeze of hot, muggy Cali air. Refreshing and warm at the same time.
"Tom," Zach whispered, as quietly as he could over the music.
"Yeah, what's up?" I could see he looked a little cautious about something. "You okay?"
"Yeah, it's just..." he glanced up at Heidi. "I thought you should know… I like Heidi. As in... Yeah."
I smiled. "Really?!"
"Yeah, please don't get mad at me, but she's so nice and amazing like you already know I'm sure, and I’ve actually liked her for a while now."
"I'm not mad, actually she likes you!"
"Seriously?!" his face turned a billion times brighter.
"Seriously," I smiled. I'll leave that for Heidi to figure out on her own.

We got Tom home as soon as we could. Zach said he would stay a while to make sure that Tom was doing well and I could not be happier!
While Tom took a nap, I went to go talk with Zach on the patio.
"Glad he's fine, how about you?" I said, unsure of a topic.
"Yeah, it's such a relief."
"If you don't mind my asking... do you think you could sing me one of your songs? I never got to listen last night and I hear you're pretty good."
"Oh sure, but we'd better go somewhere else, so as not to disturb Tom."
"Sure, why don't we take a walk?" I offered.
"Sounds good," he said, putting shades on and shaking his bangs out of his eyes. So adorable.
I tied my black hair up into a high ponytail and we left, into the hot, muggy air of California.
"This is a song I wrote called Here with You. I got inspired by this poster of a girl on my wall I really like, but it's also about girls in general," he said, smiling at me.
It's almost as if he likes me... but no, it couldn't be; I just wish he did.
He cleared his throat and began:
"You were my favorite poster, hanging on a wall and just like a rollercoaster, you kept me... waiting for a fall." He placed his sunglasses on his head. "...A surprise I expected and protected, like it's all I ever knew," he stopped me to face him. "...In your eyes you selected me," my gaze never wavering from his face. "...The same way I chose you... the same way I chose you. I'm so in love with you, my mind is set on you, this time and every time I just can't get enough of you, and when I'm stuck at home, they think I'm all alone; don't know what I would do if they knew I was here with you." His voice wavered and died, as he stared at me.
Is it my imagination or is he leaning towards me?
But no, it was true. He kissed me. Right there in the middle of the sidewalk with neighbors around, but I didn't care. My hands snaked up through his hair and I felt like I was in heaven. He pulled me closer, and I didn't stop him. His shades clattered to the sidewalk and a sprinkler turned on behind us, but they were nothing compared to the guy I was intertwined in.
"Heidi, Zach? Where are you two?" Tom's distant voice rang out down the street.
We let go of each other slowly and Zach, giving me a quick, yet deep hug, said gently, "Come on, we should go."
I nodded. Did that seriously just happen?!
But nonetheless, we walked back where Tom could find us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe please! (=