Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Concerning Hobbits

Lady Celebrian

Pansy had finally found she was able to ignore the pestering whispers of the elves, and sat enjoying her dinner while having good company. For a moment, she almost felt as if she was back at the shire. At one of Rosabelle Sackfill Baggins’ Dinner parties she so loved to host, you see Rosabelle never really liked meat either. Pansy’s good time came to an interesting turn as two hands laid upon her shoulders. “Excuse me” A sharp edged voice called, sharp yes unfriendly no. Pansy turned around to look up into the faces of what looked like two elven twins. “Um” Pansy paused unsure of just what was going on. “Good evening?” she asked “Yes, It is” the other twin said offering up a short smile. Pansy side glanced at Kili and Ori, wondering if they might know just what these two had wanted. “Can we help you?” Kili voiced sternly looking the twins up and down, sizing them up. The first win to speak looked far more serious about the face as he leered at the dwarf. “Well you see, our Lady, our mother would like a word with the lovely little…” The Elf stopped not sure just what in fact Pansy was, all he knew was that his mother had told him to act with charm and good word. “I’m a hobbit!” Pansy said slightly annoyed, wasn’t it obvious? “Right, lovely little hobbit…our Lady seeks council with you” said the second twin, who’s words came fourth far more gentler than his brothers. “Counsel! Really with me? An Elf Queen!” Pansy asked her eye lit up like Gandalf’s fireworks and a large grin came to her face. “Lead on!” she added hopping form her seat. “Ugh wait!” Kili called getting up as well “she goes no were without a guard” He added Looking back to his brother “Guards, to be correct” Fili called in his brothers defense getting up as well. “Lady of Light, save me from the foolish ness of dwarves” Pansy heard the first twin mutter lowly before turning back to face Kili and Fili “very well come along” He ordered. Meanwhile back at the head of the long dining table. Thorin watched his nephews leaving with Pansy and the two elves. “Where are they leading them?” He asked slowly nodding in their direction over never taking his eyes off of them. Elrond looked up casually. “That is Elladan and Elrohir, My sons” Elrond noted Thorin lowered his head but kept his eyes on them until they turned a corner and disappeared “do not worry yourself, they are in safe hands” Gandalf said before going back into conversation with Elrond.

Pansy followed the two elves down long, very decorated halls, Elves that pasted them eyed her like the others had done. Pansy frowned at this and slunk back in between Kili and Fili. The two twin elves stopped in front of two large double doors, “I’m sorry but you may not enter here” The second twin said keeping Kili and Fili back. “You may guard the door if you’d like but out Lady only wishes to speak with the Hobbit” Said the Frist twin. “My name is Pansy!” Pansy called but went ignored, she sighed in frustration and tried to push through the door. She pushed and pushed, but they would not open, she then pulled and got the same result. “Are the locked?” she asked turning to look up at the twin elves. The second twin chuckled to himself while the first looked slightly bothered, He walked past her and pushed the door open effortlessly. Pansy blushed “it’s just because they’re heavy” she muttered before quickly walking inside “if you need any help hoot once like a horned owl!” Kili called “and chirp twice like a-“ “why would I make bird calls on the inside? That’s only when you’re outside!” Pansy said cutting Fili off as the second twin closed the doors behind them. “Maybe we should think of indoor sounds” Fili said turning to his brother. “Like knocking?” Kili asked.

Pansy fiddled with her hands in excitement as she saw a tall soft figure standing before a large balcony looking out upon the darkening sky. Her hair was pure silver, and she was dressed in a silvery teal gown. Her hair was long with a slight curl and though she was not facing Pansy, she could tell that this queen was beautiful. “Pansy of the shire…I welcome you” the lady spoke turning around. “Elladan, Elrohir, you may go” she said calmly. She waited tolerantly for the two to leave before walking closer to Pansy. “My Lady um” Pansy spoke out of sheer awkwardness as the Elven queen tore tunnels into her eyes. “Celebrian” The Queen spoke “Lady Celebrian…you wished to speak with me?” Pansy asked, although the queen was just as striking as any other Elf she had come across so far, something was different. And this something made it easy for Pansy to speak to her, that something was “She looks like me” Pansy thought biting her lip. “A larger me” she added in her head, but like time and time again, this was voiced out loud. Celebrian giggled a bit “so you see it too, indeed I do look like you, and do you know what that means?” Lady Celebrian asked starting to walk circles around Pansy. “You- you’re not my…my-” Pansy stumbled the elven queen laughed again “No nothing of the sort” she said to this Pansy sighed. “Have you heard of the daughters of Yavanna?” Lady Celebrian asked still walking her circles. Pansy watched her becoming slightly dizzy, not that she would dare ask the queen to stop. “ Yava who?” Pansy asked “Yavanna, queen of the earth and the giver of fruit…of the Valar” Celebrian spoke slowly Pansy’s face twisted in confusion. “I’m sorry I do not understand” she sighed. Celebrian stopped her walking “Aule and Yavanna, long for children, both nurturing in their own ways, so they thought of two girls two sisters, one to rule over the sky’s, and another to rule over the seas.” Celebrian went on. “However, the First sister was slain and the last of her remains were sent up into the sky in a light so bright…nothing could put it out.” Celebrian stopped “and…what of the second sister?” Pansy asked timidly not wanting to interrupt. Celebrian paused and turned to face Pansy slowly “the one who wanted the life of her sister, came for her next, Aule kept him at bay while Yavanna sent her to the only place she knew would be safe. A place were all other things she had made had been sent into a blissful slumber until awakened” Pansy watched the Queen. “At the loss of their second daughter, came the moon, but it was not completed as she was not dead, and never returned home” Celebrian walked to the balcony, it was now night and the moon was just now rising into the sky. A lovely crescent of shinning pearl. “That is why the moon is rarely at full circle” she said softly. “I’m sorry I still do not understand…we hobbits are a very simple people” Pansy said. Celebrian smiled “hmm? Is that so, yes I suppose it is, it is late…you must want to go back to your company. You may leave now” The queen said. Pansy bowed slightly and scurried out of the room. “What happened?” Kili asked quickly. “I’m not sure” Pansy muttered before leading the way back to the others.

Pansy watched Bofur tease Bombur for his gluttonous nature, but she was still deep in thought. “Well what in all the good green Shire did anyone of what she spoke on have to do with me” Pansy thought. “Maybe she just wanted someone to talk to” Pansy continued to ponder, but the more she did so, the more confused she got. “Pansy” Bilbo called rushing in, Pansy got to her feet. “They’re going to read the runes” Pansy got up to her feet and scurried behind him. They came into a cave like room, its mouth opened up to three thin falls tumbling over the cap. The cold mist of the water pleasant in the summer night air. Near the edge of the caves mouth was a platform and on that platform a large crystal table, resembling that of a tree trunk. Once again Rivendell had put Pansy in a state of utter amazement and wonder. She and Bilbo stood behind Balin and Thorin, listening. “Our business is no concern of elves” Thorin said as Elrond turned to see the map “for goodness sakes Thorin show him the map!” Gandalf said his words were like he was speaking to a disobedient child, Pansy snickered to herself. “It is the legacy of my people, it is mine to protect” Thorin said side glancing “as are its secrets” He added “Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves” Gandalf breathed Pansy glanced at him wide eyed the elf twin had said something near the same thing, to this she laughed again. “Your pride will be your fall” Gandalf sighed leaning heavily upon his staff “you stand here in the presence of one of the few in middle earth that can read that map” Pansy’s eye wander over to the elven king, she lowered her eyes annoyed as she noticed the king had focused on her, “I beginning to wonder if the elves have ever seen a hobbit before….” She thought “Show it to Lord Elrond!” Gandalf demanded from Thorin, it fell silent Elrond turned to Thorin looking down at him patiently, He held a same peaceful air about him as Lady Celebrian had held. One by one Pansy, Bilbo, Bwalin, and Gandalf turned their attention to Thorin, Pansy was await for more protest, but that knowing glint was in Gandalf’s eyes. Thorin hesitated for a moment before reaching into his fur vest and pulling out the map, it was clear he wasn’t happy about it.

“Thorin no” Bwalin warned holding out a hand to stop him as Thorin went to hand the map over to Lord Elrond. However Thorin merely kept walking and placed the map into Elrond’s palm. Pansy’s mouth hung open just a bit as she watched him she and Bilbo shared a quick glance, did he really? Yes apparently he did. Thorin would not look up at Elrond he looked much like a beaten dog. Elrond took care in rolling open the map his eyes darted across it “Erebor” He said a hard gaze upon Thorin who rose his head slightly at the name of his city. He turned his eyes to Lord Elrond at a lagged speed. “What is your interest in this map?” Lord Elrond spoke slowly curiosity swimming in every word. Thorin looked taken back as he opened his mouth to speak “It’s mainly academic” Gandalf cut in quickly, Thorin looked him almost in a way that implied ‘why didn’t I think of that’. “As you know these sort of artifact contain hidden text.” Gandalf added without falter, Elrond was satisfied and began to walk off while reading the map. Pansy scrunched up her nose, “how on earth is he reading in such little light” he muttered to Bilbo only to be hushed. “You still read ancient Dwarvish do you not?” Gandalf asked. Pansy eyed Lord Elrond as he reached the map higher into the moon light, looking it over he muttered something in elvish yet again “Moon runes” Gandalf said in an deflated tone “of course” he muttered, Bilbo watched Gandalf as he looked back at him “an easy thing to miss” Gandalf said with a smile “In this case it is true, Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day of which they were written” Elrond said turning to face the group. Pansy’s eyes fluttered as she was becoming tired. Something about the slow and steady way that the elves seemed to talk was lulling to her. “Can you read them?” Thorin asked, Elrond turned to go up a very small flight of steps, they lead to a platform in the side of the mountain. Pansy hide slightly behind Bilbo feeling small as she gazed at the night sky through the gaping mouth of the hole in the mountain. Water from the falls rushed over in hushed roars, gleaming silver under the moon light. The air was cool and moist and filled with the scent of damp stone, a sweet smell that would make any dwarf wistful. At the end of the clip was a rounded crystal stump beautifully crafted the moon light reflected from it.

“These runes were written on a midsummer’s eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago” Elrond said setting the map down on the crystal table. Pansy and the other gather around the round table to get a better look “it would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell” Elrond said smoothing out the map gingerly “Fate is with you Thorin Oakenshield, the same moon shines upon us this night” He added at this Thorin cast his eyes to the sky, as did Pansy as the clouds divided, Pansy smiled, she loved the moon, she loved to star gaze at night back in the shire. They had always had some of the clearest of skies. Atop of the hobbit hole she would lay and sometimes gaze at the moon and stars until she fell asleep only hear Bilbo banging the broom handle at the ceiling trying to awake her the next morning. Something about it was peaceful. However a frown came to her face as she remember Lady Celebrian’s tale about the two daughters of Yavanna, such a sad story. As the moon light it the crystal table it began to glow radiant in pure white light beaming into the sky. Shining on all those around it. A big grin came to Pansy’s face as she looked down at herself, so amused by the light all around her, she had not noticed that the runes were appearing on the map. Thorin walked closer looking at them as they shimmered a light spidery blue. “stand by the grey stone as the thresh knocks” she heard Elrond read she walked closer to the crystal standing on her tippy toes she grasped her fingers on the edge trying to pull herself up higher so she could see the map. But she barely could get her nose above the edge of the crystal. She frowned, was she really so, so small? “At the setting sun the last light of Durin’s Day with shine upon the key hole” Elrond read picking up the map. “Durin’s Day?” Bilbo asked standing a bit off to the side now with Bwalin.

“It is the start of the Dwarves new year” Gandalf said turning to him “when the last moon of summer and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together.” Gandalf explained “really? Can we see it?” Pansy asked excitedly running over to Gandalf looking up at him. Elrond chuckled a bit “I wouldn’t think it wise to look directly upon it little Baggins” Bwalin said somewhat tickled. Pansy frowned a bit “oh” “this is ill news” Thorin said after gazing at the map. “Summer is passing Durin’s day will soon be upon us” Thorin said his eyes looked anxious, Pansy looked over her shoulder at him she’d never seem him quiet so panicked before. Bwalin took a few steps forward. “We still have time” He said “time?” Bilbo asked “for what?” he said watching Bwalin Intently “to find the entrance” Bwalin spoke looking between Bilbo and Thorin. “we have to be standing at exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time, then and only then can the door be opened” Bwalin said Pansy blinked a few times “is that not what Lord Elrond just read?” Pansy muttered kicking a stray pebble at her feet. “So this is your purpose to enter the mountain?” Elrond asked, Thorin rolled his eyes before looking up at the Elven king annoyed that he had let their quest slip out into the open air. “What of it?” Thorin asked his tone very pointed, Elrond glanced back at Pansy, who watched the two anticipated an argument of some short, before turning back to Thorin. “Some would not deem it wise” he said lowly handing the dwarf back the map. “What do you mean?” Gandalf asked. Elrond’s eyes fell back on Pansy “you are not the only guard to watch over middle earth” Elrond said quickly he looked Gandalf in the eye for a moment before walking off. Thorin’s eyes fell on Pansy who still stood close to the crystal a faint glow around her skin. He figured it must have been the left over light form the crystal, he and the others were no longer glowing but they were not showing as much skin on their arms, necks, and legs, and they were not as close to the crystal anymore. Pansy watched Gandalf as he seemed to be deeply troubled by Elrond’s words.

Bilbo, Pansy, Thorin, and Bwalin returned to the rest of the Dwarven Company. They had set up bonfires and were eating yet again. “Do you find it wise that we are using so much of the rations?” Pansy asked Bilbo “Not in the least, but it will not be much of a bother to us, they are the ones who will notice once they realize if the elves do supply us with food for the journey it will be of bread and green. Maybe cheese but only if we are lucky” Bilbo sighed before heading off into the group. Pansy sighed heavily and followed “Over here!” Fili called out waving to her “We saved you some Sausage” Kili added holding up a slightly burnt piece of sausage on a stick. Pansy smiled tiredly as she headed over to the brothers. “Thank you” she muttered taking the stick and munching quietly on the sausage. “you missed it, it was hilarious” said Kili with a grin “Bomber managed to eat 5 fowl wings at one time” Added Fili “and spit out the bones” Kili said cutting in. “it’s a new record, last time he could only do that with two wings” Fili explained. Pansy merely nodded “such great fun” she said with a yawn but the two brothers continued to talk her ears off left and right as she sat between them. “Little Baggins Over here” Bofur called indicating her to come sit with him, Bifur, and Dori. “Roll out your pelt, you may repose over here, peaceably” Dori commented “those lads will not shut up, you’ll never get any rest” Bofur added with a chuckle. Pansy smiled gratefully and rolled out her bedding before laying down. Bofur pulled out his flute and began to play it. Laying on her side Pansy watched Kili and Fili chat happily with one another about this and that. She smiled because they reminded her of home, they reminded her of many of the siblings of the Took family, as they were often born in close age ranges if not twins. Kili spotted her and gave a small wave and a smile, Pansy went to return the act when her eyes travel to Thorin who was just now coming near the warmth of the bonfire having talked to Bwalin and Dwalin about something. He did not look happy as he sat down and took a puff from his pipe. His eyes landed on Pansy and a slight frown came to his face. Kili lowered his hand and his smiled fades as he followed Pansy’s gaze, he looked down at his feet a bit unaware his brother was talking to him. “Oi! Are you even listening?” Fili asked Kili shook his head and put on a smirk for show “Not in the least” he commented with a hollow chuckle.

Bofur checked on his younger brother Bombur and his elder brother Bifur who were now sound asleep. Pansy tossed and turn on her pallet restlessly. “You okay little Baggins?” Bofur asked, Pansy turned to look up at him “yes and no, I was tired but now I’m not. I don’t know why” she said getting up, she dusted off her pants and made up her bed “I think I’m going to go for a walk “good night master Bofur” She said before heading off carefully stepping over the sleeping dwarfs, she found herself in a hall of water fountains and statues. She felt as if she was being watched, a face flashed through her mind. It was of a woman, she had deep and endlessly wise blue eyes, as clear as crystal and as sharp as a knife’s edge. Her hair a pale gold like of finely crafted gold chains her skin like pearl. She held a playful smirk on her flawless face. Pansy gasped and the vision went away. It wasn’t Lady Celebrian no that that time because this elf in the mind did not look like herself. So who was she? “I don’t think I rather like this place at all anymore” she muttered looking up at a statue. Pansy wandered around for hours before finding herself lost “oh bother…” she sighed looking around. “Might you need any help” A soft voice called out to her. Turning around Pansy spotted a very young elf female, she had long black hair and resembled the elf twins form earlier. “I’ve gotten myself lost, this place is so big and I’m far too snooping, but I’ve never been in an elf city before” Pansy admitted with an uneasy smile. The She Elf chuckled “it’s alright I used to get lost around here lots when I was younger and it was new to me” She said her blue eyes shimmered “I am Arwen” she said Pansy smiled she liked this elf, no riddles, no whispering, no strange stories, and no rude gawking. Just plain courtesy “My names Pansy Baggins, it’s nice to run into someone friendly around here…no offence.” Pansy said as Arwen came to Pansy’s side. “They are a bit stuffy” Arwen chuckles “so many rules, so many grudges….so many partialities” She added almost sadly. “you wish to be back with your friends” She added Pansy smiled and nodded “please” said Pansy looking up at the she elf as she smiled down at her, Arwen rested a hand on Pansy’s shoulder “tis way then” She called leading the way.

Arwen watched the little Halfling as she thanked her and scurried off to her group. “I think you are wrong mother, I cannot see in her a child of Yavanna” Arwen thought as she watched Pansy talk to one of the dwarfs “I see not but a Halfling, a Halfling that is far from home” Arwen thought turning around she looked up to a high tower to see her father, Lord Elrond holding council with Gandalf, Saruman, and Lady Galadriel. Her eyes focused on Lady Galadriel for a moment and then went back to Pansy “but if you share like thoughts…then maybe something is missing” Arwen muttered as she turned around to go back to her chambers.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to go ahead and Be honest. this chapter and the next one. I had no clue what to title it.