Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Concerning Hobbits

Mirkwood

Pansy stirred in her sleep, warm rays of sunlight casting lines on her face. Her pale lashes fluttered and her nose tinckled back and forth. Something large and fuzzy was on it. Pansy groggily opened her eyes and crossed them down to her nose. There perched was a large fuzzy bumble bee. Much larger than any she had ever seen. Pansy gasped and grinned wildly. Looking over to her side, she could see Bilbo had woken up as well. He looked at two passing bees slightly unnerved at their size. “Pansy giggled and tried to pet the one on her nose, but it flew away.

Rolling off her back Pansy looked around, briefly forgetting where she was and what had happened prior. But soon she remembered. “Beorn!” she gasped trying to get to her feet. Had he made it? Was he ok? She had to find out. Reaching her feet, she bolted past Bilbo who was putting on his coat and darted to where she could hear the sounds of the others. “oh you overslept!” she cursed herself in her mind.

She stopped at the top of two stone steps, the company was seated at a table as a very, very large man poured milk into Fili’s cup out of a very large barrel pitcher. Pansy grinned and drew in a deep breath and ran towards him. As Beorn went to speak, she felt something tiny hug his leg, for it’s all that it could reach. “you’re ok!” Pansy cheered, Beorn looked down at her with amused eyes and the briefest of smiles. He patted her head. Thorin watch them warily, Pansy was very small, he would not allow this giant creature to harm her. But Beorn hardly touched her at all as he patted her head. Catching Thorin’s hardened gaze. Beorn stopped.

“ so you are the one they call Thorin Oakenshield” Beorn said, his voice still sounding much like a bear growls. Pansy watched him as he walked a few paces off, even as a man he looked like a bear, his hair had more of a fur texture and it went down his back, growing out of his back like a ridge of fur. “tell me why is Azog the defiler hunting you?” Beorn asked looking back at Thorin.

Kili pulled out a seat next to him and patted it “over here little Baggins!” he called, Pansy glanced between Beorn and Thorin cautiously as she went to take her seat. “you know of Azog?” Thorin said his eyes followed Pansy for a moment and then he turned his gaze back to Beorn. Everyone in the company was silent as they ate. “how?” He asked. He wasn’t altogether comfortable, but he did not feel this Beorn was a threat. Any creature who could save and put up with one such as Pansy, couldn’t have been too terrible. Without this bear of a man, Thorin was not so sure she and Kili would have returned.

“my people were the first to live in the mountains before the Orcs came down from the north” said Beorn looking to Thorin. Pansy leaned in while she munched on a piece of bread, this wasn’t in her book, and she was itching for a new story. “The defiler killed most of my family” Beorn said side glancing. Pansy looked to Bilbo who had in turned looked to her both of them turned their gaze to large broken shakes on Beorn wrists “but some he enslaved, not for work you see, but for sport” He said. Pansy gasped and looked around, It seems she was the only one mortified by this thought. “caging skin changing and torturing them seemed to amuse him” Beorn said, Pansy covered her mouth and teared up a bit as she watched Beorn pour milk into Nori’s cup.

“there were other like you?” Bilbo asked, there went that took blood again. Causing him to poke his nose were it didn’t belong. “Once there were many” Beorn answered, his eyes looked so sad and hollow, Pansy glanced over to Thorin who sat slightly away from the company. It was the same look he had in his eyes at the start of this journey. “and now?” Bilbo asked, Pansy’s eyes darted to Beorn, “there is only one” He said. A few tears fell from Pansy’s eyes and she quickly wiped them away removing her hands from her mouth.

“you have to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn?” Beorn asked turning his attention to Gandalf. Saving the party from the awkward painful silence that was trying to linger. He took a seat in a large chair as Gandalf sighed heavily “before Durin’s day falls, yes” said Gandalf. Beorn looked over the company “you are running out of time” he said “this is why we must go through Mirkwood” Gandalf said. Pansy remembered this name from her book and groaned “not more elves” she muttered softly. Kili turned to look at her and patted her shoulder “don’t worry little Baggins, I will be your guard” He said. “aye, we both will” Fili said popping his head around his brother with a smile. Pansy gave a faint smile and nodded at them. Yet still the thought of all those stares and whispers. Maybe I was just the elves of Rivendell maybe not all were strange like that.

“a darkness lies upon that forest” Beorn warned searching deep into Gandalf’s eyes, his gaze then turned to Pansy and lingered there “ Fell things creep beneath those trees, there is an alliance with the Orcs of Moria and the Necromancer,” Pansy shivered at his name, a coldness shooting through her veins. Gandalf looked to Pansy for just a moment before turning his gaze back to Beorn. Bilbo caught it however, and wondered what Pansy had to do with things. “ in Dol Guldur, I would not venture there unless in great need” Beorn advised, talking now to Thorin. “we will take the elven road” Gandalf assured. Thorin walked over to Fili and turned his back to Gandalf he too didn’t wish to be in any sort of elven company either. “their paths are safe” Gandalf said. Beorn looked at him as if he’s gone mad “safe?” he questioned. Glancing at Pansy and then to Gandalf. “the wood elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin, they are less wise and More dangerous” Beorn said watching Thorin who had paced away from Fili.

Pansy gulped and looked over to Kili, whom looked to her and tried to smile and reassure her, he then glanced at his brother who drank some of his milk, he look as if he wasn’t worried at all and that reassured him. If Fili wasn’t worried he had nothing to worry about either.

“but it matters not” Beorn said gravely. Thorin turned around slowly “what do you mean?” he asked “these lands are crawling with Orcs, their numbers are growing and you are on foot” Beorn said looking at Thorin intently. Pansy looked down at her wrapped hands, bloody wrappings and nubs of fingers, more Orcs is not what she needed. “you will never reach the forest alive” Beorn said. Thorin watched as the large man got to his feet “ I don’t like Dwarves” Beorn said, ducking his head under the beam in the ceiling. “they are greedy and blind” He said, as Bofur brush off a small white mouse from his arm, it squeaked and Beorn laid out his big hand for the small creature to climb into “blind to the ones who they deem lesser than that of their own” He said looking at the mouse as he walked. Pansy puffed out her cheeks, that wasn’t how these dwarves acted at all. Sure maybe around food and drink, but they’d been very generous and kind to her and Bilbo and what any lesser than a plain simple hobbit?

Pansy looked up at him and her anger turned to sadness, “you’re wrong in that Beorn, it may be some of them but not these” she said softly. He looked down at her and lowered the mouse down, Pansy cupped her hands and held them out as he carefully dropped the mouse in her hands. Pansy glanced up at him one last time before stroking the mouse's head with her finger.

She showed it to Kili who chuckled “it looks like you, cute little and pale as a ghost!” Pansy blushed a little bit but puffed up at the slight insult, she leered at him, not wanting to interrupt Beorn and Thorin any further. Beorn took his eyes off of Pansy and “but I hate Orcs more” He growled looking to Thorin “tell me what it is you need?” He offered. Pansy looked between Thorin and Beorn beaming from ear to ear.

“ponies, and rations, some medical aid if you can” Thorin said gesturing for Pansy. She hopped out of her chair with mouse in hand still and went to him. “something for wounds such as these” He said taking the mouse from Pansy’s hands and setting it down he showed Beorn Pansy’s still slightly bleeding fingers. “ah right” Beorn rumbled before turning and going to see what he had in stock.

Meanwhile, Thorin examined Pansy’s hands. “they are healing slowly” he said as he carefully removed the dirty wrappings. “are they?” Pansy asked she’d never had an actual wound before, she wasn’t sure how it should have been healing in the least. For now, she was glad it didn’t hurt much anymore just a dull constant ache. “oh well, I’m ok” she added with a faint smile. Thorin, however, didn’t smile. He just watched her hands. Replaying Beorn’s warnings about Mirkwood. Perhaps he could ask the bear to take Pansy back to the shire were she belonged. The road from there would only get worse.

Pansy eyed Thorin cautiously worried about what he was thinking. “Hey! Pansy, the goat has got my satchel! Come tell it to let it go!” Nori called. Pansy giggled and pulled her hand away from Thorin “I am coming Nori!” she said jogging towards him she stopped and looked back at Thorin “I will be back to have them wrapped” she said offering a smile before continuing on.

After having her hands wrapped Pansy and Bilbo gathered their things, and followed the company outside of Beorn’s house. Now that Pansy didn’t have to run for her life, she could take notice of just how beautiful Beorn’s home was. It reminded her of the shire. And as it did so a strange thought pricked at her heart. “I don’t miss it” she thought, gazing at the green surrounded home, “I don’t miss the Shire, Bag End...not even the Green Dragon Inn” she thought shocked at herself. “what are you doing gazing out into nowhere, come on we’re leaving soon” Bilbo asked coming up behind her. Pansy turned to him and nodded “right, no time to loose!” she said cheerily grabbing his hand she ran towards the others, who were mounting their ponies. “do I get my own this time!” she asked excitedly. “we are borrowing these, and to not use more than we need, I am sorry we figured it best for you to ride along with one of us” Balin said. Pansy deflated “oh” she sighed. Thorin road to her and held out his hand. “come you may ride with me once more” he said, with his usual sternness.

Gandalf watched him with an amuse glint in his eyes. “oh ah” Pansy said reluctantly reaching for his hand. “She can ride with me Uncle, so not to burden you any further” Kili offered as he packed his things onto his pony. Thorin turned to look at him and paused for a moment. “very well” He said drawing back his hand and steering his pony away. Pansy watched Thorin go, and was a bit sad, she was taking back by his offer, but she liked riding with him. His broad back and thick hair made a wonderful pillow for resting, and she could hear all the plans made by he, Balin, Dwalin, and Gandalf.

Nonetheless, Pansy went to Kili and smiled. “thank you for offering” she said. Kili nodded “I am your guard little Baggins” he said proudly. Pansy laughed at him and his goofy smile before spotting Beorn watching them. She went to him and looked up at him. “thank you for helping his Beorn” she said Beorn crouched down to be closer to her level. “I am happy to help the daughter of mountain” He said with a hardly noticeable smile. Pansy tilted her head “what?” she asked, Beorn’s eyes trailed behind her and up to Gandalf, who returned the serious gaze. “you will one day soon understand” Beorn said patting her head “ for now do not worry yourself, stay safe little halfling” He said standing back up. Pansy nodded and backed away “I will, I’ve got good company” she said looking back to the others, she smiled fondly. With one last wave to Beorn, she turned and ran back to Kili who was done packing up the pony “bye Beorn!” she called doing so.

Kili grabbed Pansy’s waist and lifted her up into the air and onto the pony. Pansy blushed a deep red and Kili couldn’t help but smile as he mounted the pony behind her. Sliding his hands under her arms he took the reigns. Pansy looked down and saw that she was higher off the ground than she thought. These ponies were much bigger than the one they’d gotten in the Shire, much. She wouldn’t have been able to ride one on her own even if they had prepared one for her.

“go now while you have the light” Beorn advised “your hunters are not far behind” Pansy bit her lip and looked back and up at Kili who merely smiled and flicked the reigns.

A smile came to her face as they galloped as fast as the ponies would allow across the lush green plains. Kili and Fili held a friendly race to see who could reach Gandalf first, Fili was the victor. “it was solely because my pony is carrying extra weight!” Kili protested Fili laughed, “how so, Pansy is so small would she even count as weight?” Fili asked. “hey! She can be very heavy” Kili informed him. Pansy gasped “uh! How rude!” she said slapping Kili’s arm. “ouch! Alright, alright, sorry!” Kili said rubbing his arm. Dori chuckled as he watched them “rule number one about women Kili, never comment on their weight” he said to the young dwarf as he rode by him. “dearly noted” Kili muttered.

It wasn’t long before the company came to a halt before a dense wood. It looked old and terribly uninviting. It’s trees were mammoths, standing taller and wider than any Pansy had ever seen before. “wow” she whispered as she scanned the forest. Gandalf dismounted and approached the gates.

“Here lies our pathway!” he called back to them. Pansy felt the breeze play at her hair and shivered slightly with the cooler air it brought with her. Her eyes scanned the sky which was slowly gathering with clouds. She wondered if anyone else was spooked by these trees. Looking around no one looked bothered. “why am I always the only one ever scared of anything” Pansy thought sulking mentally. But still she could not stop looking at it, something about it wasn’t right. It was almost as if she could feel and hear the tree’s moaning and groaning, their branches aching and bark cracking. A very dark feeling looming in her heart.

“ no sign of the Orcs, we have a bit of luck on our side” Dwalin said dismounting his pony. But the look on Gandalf’s face, it suggested otherwise. Pansy watched him intently as he turned his eyes to the hills in the distance, was Beorn in Bear form looked on. “turn loose the ponies, let them return to their master” He ordered. Kili got down from the pony and helped Pansy slide down as well. She wasn’t looking forward to taking the paths through Mirkwood on foot, not after all Beorn said about it. She’d rather be on a fast pony in case a great escape was called for.

“This forest feels sick” Bilbo said, pansy looked to him so she wasn’t alone. “it is as if a disease lies upon it” Bilbo stated. Pansy walked to his side and nodded at him as he looked down at her. She gripped his coat sleeve “I don’t like it Bilbo” she whispered looking at the antler-like Elven gates. “I don’t like it at all” she added. “I don’t want to go it” she said looking back up at him with fearful eyes. He glanced down at her briefly but he found his eyes stuck on the forest. “is there no way around?” he asked. “that two hundred miles north or twice that distance south” Gandalf said turning to face the gate he walked through it and looked around, heading down small stone steps.

Bilbo looked down at Pansy and sighed “well,” he said Pansy shook her head and watched the other dismount and gather theie things. Kili held out her bag for her and she took it, holding it to her chest tightly before turning to face the woods. She took a deep shaking breath and resolved herself before swinging her bag onto her back. “remember Pansy you’ve faced Wargs and Orcs, stone giants and goblins...its just a scary looking...sick trees now” she told herself. “it will only get worse from here, you cannot be afraid anymore” she thought, and with one more deep breath Pansy steeled her nerves and walked to Gandalf.

She saw him pull free the vines on an elven statue, and she watched his back as he stood gazing at something. Curious, Pansy peeked around him to see a red marking, a symbol that looked much like an eye on the stone. “Gandalf?” she asked with wide eyes, “t-that is not paint, is it?” she asked walking to his side. Gandalf exhaled “no is it elvish...is it?” she asked. Gandalf looked down at her and shook his head slightly “no dear Pansy, it is not” he said gravely. But he seemed distracted, “the Highfelds” Pansy faintly heard Gandalf whisper but her eyes were stuck to the eye painting. “so be it” he said softly turning sharply and heading back to the others.

“Not my horse I need it!” Gandalf called out as Ori was about to let it loose with the ponies. At the sound of Gandalf having left her there, Pansy scurried out after him. “you’re not leaving us?” Bilbo asked in disbelief. “I would not do this unless I had to” Gandalf said with great sincerity. Pansy watched him and she could tell he didn’t want to leave them to this place alone. He looked over everyone's faces, pansy decided this had to do something with that horrible marking. As Gandalf walked past Bilbo he stopped, and his brows knitted together. Slowly he turned around to face him “you’ve change” He said. Bilbo looked up at him “Bilbo Baggins, you are not the same hobbit who left the Shire” he said. Bilbo blinked several times and out her blurted “I was going to tell you!” but then he stopped himself and calmed down. “I...” he paused “found something in the goblin tunnels” he said. Pansy walked to Bilbo’s side and looked at him “really? Can I see it?” She asked with a smile and a twinkle in her eyes. Bilbo glanced at her and then looked up to Gandalf “yes what did you find?” he asked, but it was a stern grave way of asking. “my courage” Bilbo said. Pansy pouted and sighed “oh is that all! Bother it all I thought it was something exciting we all knew that” Pansy said. But Gandalf looked into Bilbo’s eyes “well that's good” he said slowly that stern tone was still there, as Bilbo squinted up at him. “you’ll need it” Gandalf said pointedly before walking off. Pansy watched the two of them confused. Her eyes then lingered on Bilbo. Come to think of it. He had changed a bit. But it was that took blood. Wasn’t it?

Pansy felt raindrops on her cloak and skin. “I will be waiting for you on the overlook, near the slopes of Erebor” Gandalf called walking to his horse. “keep the map and key safe” he said stopping at his horse he looked down at Thorin and in a deep voice warned “do not enter that mountain without me” Pansy raised a brow. Thorin looked at Balin and then up at pansy in the short distance. Her eyes asking the same thing his was, what was happening.

“this is not the greenwood of old the very air of the forest is heavy with illusion, it will try to enter your mind lead you astray” Gandalf said mounting his horse. Pansy looking over her should at the woods. “lead us astray?” Bilbo said looked at Oin, “what does that mean?” he asked lowly, turning his eyes back to Gandalf. “you must stay on the path, do not stray from it, if you do you will never find it again” Gandalf added. Pansy’s blood ran cold, Gandalf was making it very hard for her to stay brave. Thorin watched Gandalf intently listening to every word, then as Gandalf rode off he turned and walked through his company that surrounded him. “no matter what may come stay on the path!” Gandalf called back. Pansy stood with dripping hair gazing into the trees. She shivered in the cold rain and told herself it wasn’t her fear that had her shaking.

“Come on” Thorin called to them “let's reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin’s Day” He ordered, as he walked past Pansy he rested a hand on her should “come little Baggins” he said letting his hand slip off as he continued on. Pansy nodded and followed after him. “it is out one chance to find the hidden door” he said to the company that followed him. At Thorin’s lead they entered the ill shadows of Mirkwood.
♠ ♠ ♠
x.x oh boy back after years. I am so sorry.
New layout. yay or nay?