Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Concerning Hobbits

Finding of the Keyhole, Enter Smaug

Pansy ran as if running for her life the waves crashing around her wildly. Her hand cradled in her arms. She ran blindly down the streets as if trying to outrun her own heart, trying to get away from the awfully painful thing. But she couldn’t for her heart was part of herself and she could not outrun herself. She ran until she ran out of road and collapsed on the docks sobbing. Legolas spotted her as he pursued Bolg he paused to watch her, her new her pain, but he could not stop to help her he had to catch the Orcs.

Pansy cried and cried, she looked down at her reflection in the wild waters. “oh child” That deep voice said in her head. “who are you!’ she thought “please just leave me alone!” and with that he vanished. Pansy cried herself out until no more water was held to cry. Sniffling loudly her gazing followed the lake all the way to the other shore. They trailed across the rocky plains, up, up to Erebor. A gentle breeze picked up Pansy’s hair as she gazed upon the mountain. Slowly the waves around calm down. Pansy stumbled to her feet while gazing at her mangled hand. “I need to get to the mountain” she murmured. She didn’t know why but something there was calling her. Kili no longer needed her. What was done, was done. She could not change his heart any more than she could change her own. But she had a job to finish.

Looking towards the setting sun she knew she did not have enough time to find a boat and paddle all the way across the like and trek up the rocky hills to Erebor before the sun would set. Pansy sighed and closed her eyes. After a beat, she could hear the sounds of flapping wings, tiny flapping wings. Opening her eyes, flying before them was a small sparrow. “it cannot be?” she whispered. “I have been told that you may require a bit of help!” he said. Pansy laughed a little “you’re the little sparrow I let go!” she said amazing. It tweeted and flew around her head once before flying in front of her. “you need to get to the mountain before the last light of Durin’s day” It said.” how do you? N-nevermind, yes , yes I do” Pansy said to him. “I can make good on my promise” He said happily flying higher and higher into the air until he was gone. Pansy looked around but covered her head as a strong gust blew down upon her. The beating of large wings deafened her. Shielding her eyes with her usable hand she looked above her to see one of the Great eagles. “I do believe I remember you” she said in a smooth voice. “you’re the eagle that took me to Galadriel?” Pansy questioned. But the Eagle said nothing and grasped Pansy with her Talon. Carefully but struggling Pansy climbed up her feathers to her back. She settled herself and gazed at the Mountain “I am coming, Bilbo, Thorin, Everyone I am coming” she thought as the eagle headed for Erebor. Pansy tore the bottom her dress with a bit of trouble and use it to wrap up her contorted bleeding hand. “this will have to do, but I am virtually handless anyway so how much different can it be?” she asked herself.

Against her better judgment, Pansy stole one last look at Laketown. “I am glad you’ll be alright” she thought. Atop Bards house, Pansy could Faintly see Fili watching her soar away to Erebor.

“great” Fili breathed as he turned and climbed back down a hole in the roof. “did you see her?” Bofur asked, Fili sighed crossed his arms and nodded. “yes she has already headed to Erebor, by way of Eagle” Fili said. “what? How?” Bofur asked stunned. “After seeing those waves, would it matter how?” Fili asked. Bofur nodded in agreement. “am I missing something?” Oin asked. “she loves him” Fili said nodded towards Kili “the blockhead” he added with a sigh. “it’s true, and after today, I don’t think would protest otherwise” Bofur said with sympathy In his voice. “She is meant for him” Fili said watching his resting brother as the Elf watched over him. “as he is for her, He is different around her, together I can see him being his own man, and not just a reckless son of the Mountains or my shadow” Fili said. Oin nodded but then shook his head “wait but what of Thorin? Does he not-” Fili sighed “yes he groaned closing his eyes “yes he does, a great deal. He has proven it and he sees her as his” Fili said. “he has hidden it well, but he is my Uncle, I know him, well, very well and I see it in his eyes” Fili looked out the window “and hers too, it is as if each half of her heart belongs to one of them in some way.” Fili looked at Bofur and Oin “Kili was taking the second half back, at least until” Fili’s eyes trailed to Tauriel “she arrive” He added. Tauriel looked to Fili and the other but adverted her eyes.

Pansy’s eyes were glued to the Mountain she was so close now, but the sun “it’s faded!” she yelped, looking down below her she could see Thorin’s company starting the climb down the mountain. “no” she said she shaking her head. “do not fret, You will have time” The Deep voice was back. “who are you?” Pansy asked him. He gave a deep roaring chuckle “I my dear little one, I am your Father, I am Aule the Valar” He said Pansy gasped “Creator of the dwarves, so-so the elves they were-” Pansy lost her voice. “indeed, now that you know, use it wisely” He rumbled. Pansy nodded “I will” she paused and the words she uttered next felt far better to say than that she could have ever imagined “father”

Pansy could see Bilbo on the mountains ledge staring at the rock face. The moon them came from behind the clouds, and its light beamed down upon the rock face. Bilbo turned and smiled as the keyhole slowly showed itself “the last light on Durin’s day, Moonlight! It’s the light of last moon of autumn!” Pansy heard Bilbo cheer even from her great height. “Guy comes back!, Thorin! It’s the moonlight!” Bilbo called. He looked to the sky and under the Moon saw Pansy riding to him on the back on an Eagle. He grinned when wider, “they key Bilbo!” Pansy shouted to him. Bilbo looked around frantically on the ground for the key “he dropped it!” Pansy shouted. Bilbo searched but his foot kicked the Key and it tumbled near the cliff. “No!” Both he and Pansy called, their hearts stopping as a large foot stomped on the necklace chain saving it. “Thorin!” Pansy cheered, He looked up to the sky where the eagle was landing, Pansy’s form blocked the unfilled crescent of the moon and the moonlight struck her, together Pansy and the moon shown twice as bright. Thorin’s eyes softened on her and her then looking to Bilbo, slowly, carefully picked up the key. The other Dwarves lined up behind him silently in amazement. “Bofur, Oin, Fili....K-kili they’ve done it, they’ve made it” Pansy thought.

Thorin looked at the key and a true smile finally came to his face. He looked to Pansy as she hopped from the eagle and stood in the moonlight. The heavy glow of the moon two halves, being together at last, shined a light so bright the mountain face appeared white, all that is but the keyhole. Pansy watched with anticipation as Thorin place they key in and turned it with as much strength as he could give. The veins in his arm flexed. Long had the door been closed, it was not to be assumed that turning the key would be easy. But soon he felt the lock click. He gazed at the door, and carefully place his fingertips to it. Leaning forward he push, arms shaking with the force, but soon, with a rumble the door pushed in and opened, slowly.

The young night fell still, as the dwarves looked on at the open door, unmoving. They were finally here, and this was no dream. Balin stepped forward with tears in his eyes. Pansy stepping lightly went to Bilbo’s side and smiled at him “well done Bilbo” she mouthed to him, he nodded and then looked down at her hand. He peered at it with a frown, it appeared lumpy and larger under her crude wrappings. Pansy slid her hand behind her back and looked away. “Thorin” Balin said, but his words failed him. Thorin rested a hand on his cousin’s shoulder and have it a light shake before looking into the door and finally taking the first step inside. Balin started to cry. Pansy went to him and hugged his shoulders “Balin she said softly. “you are home my friend” she said “you are home” He patted her arm and smiled at her.

“I know these walls” Thorin said his voice started to break, “These Halls”his voice wavered, Balin too stepped inside, He took Pansy’s hand in his and welcome her into his home pulling her behind him. Thorin turned back and reached out his hand. “Pansy” he said airily, breathless. Pansy looked around at the dwarves surrounding her, and slowly went to him, she hesitated, for a moment her hand lingering over his. She looked up into his watery eyes that held so much happiness. But her heart still ached so much and she wanted to feel that same happiness. Giving him the tenderest look she had ever given him, Pansy placed her small hand in his. He smiled and turned back around. Placing his palm on the stone wall he leaned against it “this stone” he said softly leading Pansy further in “do you remember it Balin?” He asked. “aye, I remember it” Balin replied voice full of emotion, soon bilbo and all the other dwarves were inside.

Thorin looked around the pathway “Champers filled with golden light” he said speaking as if he thought he had been in a dream. “I remember” Balin said again joyfully “Thorin turned and touched Pansy’s face lovingly caressing her cheek. She closed her eyes and leaned her face into his large hand. “Here in lies, The 7th kingdom of Durin’s folk” Gloin read from a carving in the stone above the door. Thorin pulled Pansy closer to him, his hips to hers and looked deep into her eyes, her face still in his hand. “may the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in Defense of this home” Gloin read on. Thorin moved his fingers under Pansy’s chin and tilted her head to look him directly in the eyes. “the throne of the king” Balin said to Bilbo as they gazed at the carving. “this will be you home” Thorin whispered to Pansy quietly. “home?” she whispered. Thorin nodded and gave her a small smile.

“and what's that above it?” Bilbo asked Pansy looked up and over her back at the carving, “the Arkenstone” Balin said with a serious tone. Bilbo looked at him curiously “Arkenstone” he said echoing Balin. Looking back at the carving he turned to Balin once more. “well what's that?” Bilbo asked. Thorin looked away from Pansy and down the stone hall “That master Burglar” Thorin said glancing from Pansy to Bilbo, “is why you're here” He said. Balin, Gloin, Nori, Ori, Dori, Bifur, and Bombur all look at Bilbo or expectantly. Bilbo exhaled, now that he was here, he realized he had forgotten about that part.

Bilbo nodded and Balin went to show him down into the hall. Pansy stepped away from Thorin and went to follow, but he grabbed her arm “no” he said Pansy stopped and looked back at him. “it is my job to that is why I am here to start with, I cannot let Bilbo go alone.” Pansy protested. “I cannot let you down there, I won’t risk it” Thorin said pulling her back to him he wrapped his arms around her back and held her there. He peered down at her bandaged hand. “what happened to it?” he asked. Bilbo stopped and turned back around “what what's the matter?” he asked. Thorin released Pansy and spun her around, taking her by the arm just above the bandages he raised her hand to his face. He cringed slightly at its shape and size. Resting it in his hand he started to remove the wrapping. Pansy snatched her hand back, she was not ready for the questions that would come with it. “it is fine...it's just swollen from lack of treatment, I can have it looked after, after we get you back your stone Thorin” Pansy reasoned. Thorin eyed her but seemed satisfied. “ very well” He said. “but if that the case, Pansy, you should stay, or are in no shape to go down there” said Bilbo. Pansy shook her head and went to him “But Bilbo!” she said “nope, no, but nothing, you are to danger prone anyway, I would do better on my own” He said. Pansy looked down. And Bilbo bent down to look at her face “look I will be fine, I promise” he said. “I've come back many times before” he added. Pansy nodded reluctantly and gave Bilbo a smile and a hug. “alright” she said pulling away, she watched Bilbo follow Balin into the Mines.

“why did you come back?’ Thorin asked Pansy as she stood at his side. Pansy looked down at her feet, and her heart throbbed painfully. “because I was no longer needed there” She said, Thorin picked up on her sadness and raised a brow, “Kili is fairing much better now, and I alone could call the eagle, Fili was still a bit sore about it all” Pansy said a lot more smoothly than she had expected, she had always been a terrible liar. Looking up at Thorin he nodded and gazed into the night to Laketown. “that is good” he said “and I felt I was needed her more” she added. Thorin looked down at her and rested his hand on her head. Letting it slide down the back to her neck, and then middle of her back. He pulled her to his side. “remarkable” Thorin said as he gazed back out. “what is?” she asked him. He looked down at her and his eyes crinkled into his smile, this time, she could even see teeth. “hobbits” He said “you never cease to amaze me” he said. Pansy rubbed her nose with her functioning hand “ah yes well, um” Pansy stammered “y-you see about that” she said murmured.

The mountain then shook with great force, Pansy stumbled by Thorin braced her. “what was that?” Dwalin said rising to his feet “was that an earthquake?” Ori asked. “that,” Balin said darkly “was a dragon” he said. Pansy looking from the door to Thorin with large fearful eyes. He looking around and then down to her. She turned from him and made for the door. “no!” He called reaching he gripped her arm tightly. “you cannot go” he called. “Bilbo is my family!” Pansy called. “I cannot leave him!” she said. Thorin was taken back by the force in her voice. There was no timidness there or self-doubt. “give him time” Thorin reasoned, trying to coax her back to him, to calm down. Pansy closed her eyes and nodded, “fine,” she sighed, “I will trust your judgment...mi-lord” Pansy said somewhat pointedly. She sat upon the ground and had her eyes fixed to the door. “come on Bilbo” she thought.

Fire shown in the doorway and pansy jumped to her feet. “what about Bilbo?” Ori asked. “give him more time”Thorin said, “we’ve done that” Pansy spat. “give him more still” Thorin said to her pointedly. “time to do what to be killed?” Balin asked fed up with this. Thorin looked up at him, somewhat shocked. “you’re afraid” he said walking closer to Balin who backed up a bit. Pansy rushed behind him, Thorin was acting strange, and she did not like it. “yes, I am afraid” Balin said offended. “I fear for you” He said pointing a Thorin “a sickness lies upon the treasure hoard” Balin said. Thorin looked to the door and then to Balin. His eyes fluttering “A sickness which drove your grandfather man!” He said “I am not my Grandfather” Thorin said turning to gaze over the lake as if dismissing Balin. “well you are not yourself!” Balin said. “The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there and-” “I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar” Thorin spat. Pansy breathed in sharply and stepped back away from Thorin. Balin looked to her and then to Thorin Leering in disgust. “Bilbo, his name is Bilbo” Balin said, Pansy watched Thorin with pained eyes. “you are sick,” She said slowly. She went to him and made her look at him. “you said the same thing about leaving Kili behind. Haven’t you a heart? Where is your loyalty” she said softly. “your honor?” he turned away from her to look down the cliff. He closed his eyes slowly and gave a great huff. “I will not have you look at me that way again” he said slowly looking up he gazed at Pansy and then turned to face the mountain. “lets go”

Pansy and Thorin ran through the hall into the treasure hoard, Pansy on his heels. He threw out her arm and held her back as firelight shown in the curve ahead of them. Pansy waited and on his mark followed him around the curve. Nearly running into him. Pansy stopped, Thorin eyed all the gold below with adoring eyes as he oohed and awed “Thorin?” Pansy questioned him, but it was as if she had faded away. Up another set of steps came running Bilbo. As fast as he could and very out of breath. “you’re alive!” Thorin greeted him “yes well not for much longer!” Bilbo said, refusing to stop running. “did you find the Arkenstone?” Thorin asked Bilbo did not reply right and way and kept on running. Thorin ran and blocked his way. “The Arkenstone!” Thorin demanded. “the Dragon is coming!” Bilbo warned. But Thorin still stood in the way. Pansy gave him a hard disappointed gaze but Thorin took no notice. “did you find it?” he asked again, with wild eyes. Bilbo watched him amazed and then had recalled what the dragon said about the Arkenstone driving him mad. He glanced at Pansy who bit her lip. “yeah,” she said quickly “lets get out” but as Bilbo went to walk past Thorin he blocked him with his sword, pushed Bilbo back with his Blade “Thorin?” Bilbo questioned. “Thorin!” he called again as he pointing the sword tip at his chest. “what are you doing!” She called out as he walked Bilbo back to the stairs.

Bilbo looked up to see the Dragon creeping slowly behind Thorin’s back in the distance of the great caverns. Thorin tilted his head and followed Bilbo’s line of site. Eyes getting large as he saw the dragon Smaug. He, Bilbo and Pansy backed up as the beast inched closer. It snorted in anger. “are we going to die?” Pansy asked Bilbo but never got an answer. “raaargh!” Nori called as he and the other jumped in front of the three. Smaug roared out in anger, and charged them, his chest a lite with fire “You will Burn!” He yelled his large body sending gold and jewels flying this way and that as he tore through the treasure hoard.”Run!” Thorin yelled and the company bolted.